HELP!! DOMS or injury?

Options
2»

Replies

• missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I have had trainers at the gym take it too far too. I ended up developing exercise induced uticaria that left me literally bedridden for a month from following a plan given by the trainer that literally made me vomit it was so intense. Not fun!

My Dr said just because I could do it doesnt mean I should do it. He set me up with physio for a quided gradual re-entry to exercise. And assured me at the beginning of exercising working to the point of vomiting is not the goal..(previously the trainer said it was just a sign of a good workout when I let him know I got sick)

Starting your first ever round of gym training with sets of 12 at a weight that leaves you in muscle failure state sounds like a bit too aggressive.

Your body is wonderful, it will heal.

Wow! Incredible that someone would say vomiting = a good workout.

I'm feeling much better this am. Still need support lowing myself in a chair, but I made it down a flight of stairs this a.m. (albeit a bit shakily). Going to take it super easy on my long run tomorrow and then try and see if I'm up to some mild body weight exercises Sunday.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    DOMS. If you really do a lot of newer exercises (esp lunges) in one workout, I’ve seen the peak effect last 5 days or more.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have had trainers at the gym take it too far too. I ended up developing exercise induced uticaria that left me literally bedridden for a month from following a plan given by the trainer that literally made me vomit it was so intense. Not fun!

My Dr said just because I could do it doesnt mean I should do it. He set me up with physio for a quided gradual re-entry to exercise. And assured me at the beginning of exercising working to the point of vomiting is not the goal..(previously the trainer said it was just a sign of a good workout when I let him know I got sick)

Starting your first ever round of gym training with sets of 12 at a weight that leaves you in muscle failure state sounds like a bit too aggressive.

Your body is wonderful, it will heal.

Wow! Incredible that someone would say vomiting = a good workout.

I'm feeling much better this am. Still need support lowing myself in a chair, but I made it down a flight of stairs this a.m. (albeit a bit shakily). Going to take it super easy on my long run tomorrow and then try and see if I'm up to some mild body weight exercises Sunday.

If still really sore, super easy may mean a long walk.
    Accept it may happen and be willing to do it.
    Or make sure you walk today and help it best you can.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    DOMS and also your tendons and ligaments getting used to new movements. The first time I did a kettlebells class I walked like Woody from Toy Story for a few days. Now a few months later I have mild muscle soreness from a way more intense workout yesterday. It's cool to see how your body adapts.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    DOMS. If you really do a lot of newer exercises (esp lunges) in one workout, I’ve seen the peak effect last 5 days or more.

This.

I'm used to lift all the time. Have switched to running as my main exercise, and due to life am only lifting sporadically. A few months ago, after at least 3 months off lifting, I did an intense lower body workout - deadlifts, squats, lunges etc. It was a week before I wasn't experiencing pain again. So next session I lifted a little lighter, and it wasn't so bad.

This is a good reminder for me, I'm starting a new routine on Monday after not lifting again for a couple of months (moved cities etc) so I must remember to take it easy ans build up!
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Bike is best for leg DOMS! Put it on a low resistance setting for 15 min.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    FWIW, if you're injured, you should immediately know it.

Everyone's pain tolersnce is different but I've never experienced what I'd call "pain" when I had DOMS which for me is characterized mainly by stiffness & soreness which makes movement difficult for awhile but eventually goes away.

An injury on the other hand prevents itself as an acute sharp PAIN when moving the affected body part THAT is less prominent when you stop moving the affected body part but NEVER goes away w/o surgery, the use of a prosthetic device or PT/rehab to repair or counteract the injury.

The differences are pretty obvious and always have been to me, including the medial collateral ligament tear in my rt elbow that I am desling w/right now.

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i don't have any advice, but read the thread and this is exactly why i love this place! OP asked a great question and received terrific advice. nicely done to all!
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Update: As usual, the wise people here at MFP were right on the money. It was a nasty case of DOMS that is now behind me. I did some walking Friday, and my wonderful hubby was kind enough to rub my legs down really well that evening. Boy were my muscles crunchy!

Did a nice and easy 5.5 miles Saturday morning, and it felt great! Going back to the gym today with my buddy with a plan to do about half what I did last week.

A huge thank you to everyone who responded! You guys are awesome!