I need help 😔. Check my diary

Hi. I made my diary public and I'm looking to opinions or suggestions as what you think of it because my weight is not coming down no more.

About me, female, 31, 5'5.

I can't tell you how many time I've read about plateaus and people saying I'm doing everything right but nothing is working and always used to think nah they must be doing something wrong that would never be me...
Well it's me and to say that it's frustrating it's the least I can say.

About me: I started on 01/02/18 at 321 lbs and very successfully at around late April 2019 I lost 100 lbs with NO EXCERCISE and i mean none nadaaa ever, why? It's a combo of laziness/I'm genuinely very busy/ not wanting to get out of my confort zone and because EVERY single time I start any fitness journey the weight loss stops idk why but it just stops😏.

Between April and June 2019 I was going thru some stuff in my life I kinda maintain and went up and down the same 5lbs, then about 3-4 weeks ago I said NO we're past 6 month in 2019 and you're not even near where you want to finish the year.

I looked around me and thought; girl the difference between you and all the ppl who are losing those pound steady every week it's how hard they're hitting the gym, so I went and sign up to the gym and got my fitbit.

And let me tell you I can tell you how much I love going and sweating and getting stronger and improving my resistance.

But long story short I am the weirdo that always and always start burning those calories and work her but off but her weight just stop for real.

I don't know, go check my diary if you have time and let me tell you what you think.

I'm not saying it's the greatest diary in the world but I look at it and feel good about it and feel like someone with those number should be seeing some change in the scale.

Sure I could eat more veggies or fiber or whatever but my calorie deficit is there right.

*I drink 3L of water everyday even if you don't see it log

I know some of you may say it's too soon but last Sunday I was 221.6 and today 222.4 and Sunday before 221 so really feel like I'm going no where.

Thanks.

Replies

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Do you own a food scale? Your peanut butter entries are measured by spoons which are easy to overdo. The avocado should be weighed too.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10179969/weight-loss-flow-chart-2-0/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Yea I do. I measured everything. When u see 2 tbsp. Its because it's 32g of peanut butter, avocado ? I just had breakfast, 80g of avocado everything on the scale first. Even the bread and things that come pre package I put it first in the scale amd verify.

Thanks anyway
  • karyabc
    Everything's that you see tbsp these and that, its because first I put the serving size in grams/oz in my food scale.

I've used my food scale since day 1.
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    What do you cook your eggs in? What about your chicken? There are a couple of little things but nothing to arrest weight loss. I find some of the exercise calories suspect (like last monday), but you're not eating back those numbers so that shouldn't matter. I don't know enough to figure it out other than to say I seem to follow the same pattern and I haven't figured it out yet.
  • karyabc
    What do you cook your eggs in? What about your chicken? There are a couple of little things but nothing to arrest weight loss. I find some of the exercise calories suspect (like last monday), but you're not eating back those numbers so that shouldn't matter. I don't know enough to figure it out other than to say I seem to follow the same pattern and I haven't figured it out yet.

Eggs are boiled. I mostly eat 1 full egg and on 2 I take yolks out and just eat eggwhites. Chicken it just mrs dash, paprika, cinnamon and cumin.

How its suspect? I used my fitbit and that's what it says and really I don't go hard on those calories burn/earned at all, according to mfp I should eat 1410 to lose 1.5 lbs per week and when I go to the gym and add all the calories I stay around 1500- 1600.

I honestly don't know how much to trust the fitbit but I used it anyway. I do around 60-70 mins of cardio at the gym and it automatically syncs with my diary.
  • karyabc
    apullum wrote: »
    Part of what people are saying is that you have some prepackaged foods that are just listed as one item. For example, did you weigh the cheese sticks? If so, were they all exactly the same weight, and was that weight exactly what was listed for one serving on the bag? The same goes for the protein bar--was it exactly the weight listed on the package? And the sausage links? Prepackaged, individual serving foods can be much larger than is stated on the package.

Having said that, though, I don't actually think your problem is logging errors. At your stats, your deficit should be large enough that it wouldn't matter if your cheese stick is 80 calories rather than 70. Your diary generally seems fine as far as weighing and measuring are concerned.

It sounds like you have not seen the scale move in about two weeks. That also sounds like it roughly coincides with when you started working out. If so, then that's likely the cause of your problem. When you start a new or more intense exercise plan, it is completely normal for the body to retain water as part of the normal muscle repair process. That water weight can hang around for several weeks. It can mask fat loss on the scale.

You need to give it more time so your body can adjust to your new workout routine.

Ok, I'll keep doing what I'm doing. 🙏hopefully I'll see some change soon. I do weigh the cheese stick and pb2 and avocado and the bread, etc.

I get what you're saying about the water retain but I would have thought that in 3 weeks the body would have adjust. It's so frustrating, I started the gym in the first day of my period last month, it's already 3 weeks in and I probably gonna get it again 1 week, bloat, balloon and before you know 5-6 weeks lost with no change ugh.

Thanks.
  • karyabc
    Dead right on the water weight. I've been exercising hard for the past two weeks and noticed that my weight barely changes from day-to-day and it's mainly on rest days, or those where I haven't pushed so hard or drank as much water, where it will decrease.

I find myself confuse should I work out more or less? Should I eat more or less? In mind when my fitbit syncs 900-1000 cals more than my normal allowance I always thinks well nothing is 100% perfect, i like to think I burn half of it and eat 25% or so of it.

I can't hesitate how much easier was when i lost 100+lbs with no excersice and confusion but I'm truly enjoying my gym time smh 😁.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    karyabc wrote: »
    Dead right on the water weight. I've been exercising hard for the past two weeks and noticed that my weight barely changes from day-to-day and it's mainly on rest days, or those where I haven't pushed so hard or drank as much water, where it will decrease.

I find myself confuse should I work out more or less? Should I eat more or less? In mind when my fitbit syncs 900-1000 cals more than my normal allowance I always thinks well nothing is 100% perfect, i like to think I burn half of it and eat 25% or so of it.

I can't hesitate how much easier was when i lost 100+lbs with no excersice and confusion but I'm truly enjoying my gym time smh 😁.

I would keep doing what you are doing for another couple of weeks. Also start tracking measurements and noticing how your clothes fit. If you have a regular menstrual cycle, your weight will fluctuate during the month as a result of hormone activity, as well as exercise-induced inflammation that causes your body to retain water. Your weight will also fluctuate as you eat more or less fiber which requires more or less water to process and takes more or less time to digest (so there's more or less bulk/weight moving through your digestive system). Finally, weight loss is not linear. People often go for a few weeks with little or no scale change and then experience what seems to be an overnight drop of a few pounds.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,406 Member
    I have only lost five pounds in three months. True, I had a couple of calorie killer vacations, but I also started weight training at a gym about four months ago. For me, it’s been change of body shape and building some muscle (which is heavier than fat). I wish I had taken measurements along the way (started 09/2018) but luckily my trainer insists on taking photos every session. When I felt down earlier this week I flipped back through some of the photos from March and couldn’t believe the difference. Have someone at your gym take photos of you. They are a gift to yourself when you hit that “treading water” mood.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    I would not change the exercise. Sounds like you also had 3-4 months of stressful events? Sounds like it has been closer to 3+ months as opposed to 2 weeks (counting before exercise)?

Start using weight trend app which it doesn't sound like you're doing. May help with perspective in some cases

Fitbit independently calculates your tdee and the difference between MFP's estimate of your tdee and Fitbit's is what you see as exercise. It will be off if your heart rate is higher than average for a particular activity. There are limits to how far off it usually is!

Don't expect your losses 1.5 years into a deficit to continue at the same rate.

Have you done any re-feeds or have you been at a deficit throughout?
  • restlessleukocyte
    restlessleukocyte Posts: 6 Member
    I think others have likely addressed why you’re not seeing loss on the scale right now - stress, water retention from the new workout, and being 1.5+ years in to a calorie deficit can all combine to make you plateau.

I want to make a plug for resistance training in addition to cardio, though. You see those studies with people that lose a lot of weight, and their BMR afterwards is lower than what would be expected for someone of their stats, and this persists (in some studies) for years. The major changeable contributing factor to your BMR is your lean body mass - which you’ll lose some of naturally as you lose weight - but you want to try to preserve it as much as possible. Major loss of lean body mass seems to be the explanation behind the anomalously low BMRs.

Plus, resistance training has all sorts of great benefits - maintaining strength and bone density into old age, making you look more toned and fit even at the same weight, feeling like a general badass strong independent person. You don’t have to start some regimented weight lifting program. I’d suggest starting by incorporating maybe 20 minutes of body weight work a couple of times a week (before cardio, or you might be tired).

Keep at what you’re doing and I’m sure you’ll break through the plateau soon. And congrats on the 100 lbs! That’s huge!
  • darshemail
    darshemail Posts: 18 Member
    You are doing everything right. Weigh urself in 5 weeks I promise you will see the weight difference. Usually I don't see a weight difference in myself every week...but every month yes!!
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Have you readjusted your calorie goals since you lost 100? You might just need less calories now. Sometimes it auto adjusts every 10 lb or so but not always.
  • toreybybee
    toreybybee Posts: 6 Member
    I know after losing some weight it is best to refigure your nutrient and calorie needs. They change depending on your weight and your continuing goals. Maybe your deficit calories have lowered? -Please reply back and let me know if you have checked on this.
  • karyabc
    I know after losing some weight it is best to refigure your nutrient and calorie needs. They change depending on your weight and your continuing goals. Maybe your deficit calories have lowered? -Please reply back and let me know if you have checked on this.

Hi. I already did that. And yes according to mco I should eat 1410 cals for -1.5lbs per week.
  • karyabc
    karyabc wrote: »

Hi. I already did that. And yes according to mco I should eat 1410 cals for -1.5lbs per week.

Hiii again sorry I'm not very active at the forums currently and was trying to edit my reply before but couldn't. Anyway Thank you for reaching out but yes I already check that during my whole journey I've update my weight/goals with mfp settings and the last time wasn't that long ago at all. I've had it 2lbs per week but found it too restrictive and I'm completely fine with 1.5 lbs per week.. If I actually manage to achieve that soon 😗
  • karyabc
    ktekc wrote: »
    Have you readjusted your calorie goals since you lost 100? You might just need less calories now. Sometimes it auto adjusts every 10 lb or so but not always.

Yes I already checked that about 1 month ago just to be sure and those are the numbers I get for 1.5 loss per week, 1410 cals. 🙂