Whole30 before I turn 46

Options
Hi, everyone,
I turn 46 at the end of August, have been tracking religiously for around 75 days but have only lost around seven pounds. Since I have to lose 60-80, I need a push so I’m starting Whole30 tomorrow.

I’d love other committed trackers as friends in this journey - I’m always up for a challenge or tracking goal!

Thanks all!

Sadie

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! <3

I've heard Whole 30 mentioned. What is it exactly?
  • sadie60005
    sadie60005 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It’s a paleo adjacent plan for 30 days. Not no carb, but no wheat no dairy no added sugars. Whole foods are mostly ok. Really a way to reframe your eating and if you have any food sensitivities to flush them out.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    Thanks. ☺
  • forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    Options
    So what happens after the 30 days?
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    So what happens after the 30 days?

Good question
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    It may be paleo adjacent but there's no counting, no measuring and no scales for 30 days. No legumes, dairy, grains, no sugars or sweeteners, nuts and fruits in small amounts or maybe not at all if it jacks up your sugar dragon and they're food with brakes. There's all kinds of rules but there's no counting of calories and trying to combine all of the protocols together....keto, paleo, food group elimination while counting calories can be a total cluster. That is all.
  • forestfreek
    Options
    Sounds confusing.
    And like another fad.....
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    @forestfreek Maybe we live in the same forest. You can see the forest and the trees. ;)
  • sadie60005
    Options
    Thanks for the support.
  • forestfreek
    Options
    @Diatonic12 - great minds think alike 🤗

@sadie60005 - I’m sorry. I wasn’t personally trying to discourage you nor do I think anyone was. It’s just for those of us who’ve been around the block a time or two we know that these “fads” come and go in the diet world and they just aren’t effective or sustainable long term.
    I guess I should have stuck to the old adage “if you don’t have anything nice to say....”. I just assume if people are posting in a public forum they want to hear all opinions and viewpoints on the subject.
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    @sadie60005 The whole premise of the whole 30 is no tracking, no weighing, no measuring, no scales, no calories.... If you break the rules you are supposed to start over immediately. You choose. You decide. There's more I could say but what we do here is at cross-purposes of what you want to do. The two don't mix.
  • sadie60005
    Options
    @Diatonic12 @forestfreek

I appreciate you calling out fad diets, as they should be. Nothing but changing eating habits over time works. But it’s easy to get discouraged if you simply don’t see results week after week. That said, I didn’t ask for an opinion on my choices. I was looking for people who have been committed to tracking without seeing the results they were hoping for.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    I couldn't go 30 days without monitoring my foods. I haven't been doing a calorie deficit long enough to expect any kind of success with Whole 30.

I do wish you well in your journey and hope you benefit from the plan.
  • forestfreek
    Options
    sadie60005 wrote: »
    @Diatonic12 @forestfreek

I appreciate you calling out fad diets, as they should be. Nothing but changing eating habits over time works. But it’s easy to get discouraged if you simply don’t see results week after week. That said, I didn’t ask for an opinion on my choices. I was looking for people who have been committed to tracking without seeing the results they were hoping for.

Ok. Well I’m confused then. Because in your OP you asked for the help and support of people who religiously track. But then you’re going to follow a diet plan for 30 days that DOESN’T track. Not sure what you’re looking for. 🤷‍♀️
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    The whole 30 states no tracking whatsoever. So committed trackers and whole 30 don't compute or mix. Your success of 75 days and 7 lbs is a success. You are that much further ahead.

I have a dieting career. After so many diets the body reacts differently every single time you start another cycle of dieting. I have endured months and months of no weight loss but I knew I had to stay the course. Eventually, it began to pay off. It's been about 20 months or more and I've finally taken off the rebound weight gain with friends that came on after doing some the same things you want to do.

I did paleo, keto, food group elimination, macros, micros and ended up eating all of it back in a fraction of the time it took to take it off. It was a huge mistake. The only thing that pulled me out of that tailspin was MFP.

That's right. All I've ever needed were reasonable boundaries. MFP gives you those and they are subtle, not in your face boundaries. It's not bragging if it's true. I don't ever want to go on another one of those diets again in my lifetime. I won't. I simply track my data points here and everything fell into place. It ain't easy but it's doable and reaching your dream weight is possible. Stick with it and don't change a winning game. Don't change horses midstream.

If dieting really worked...we would conduct one diet, one time and be fixed for the rest of our lives. It doesn't work that way. There's always another new miracle weight loss cure that seldom works for anyone but the author. Tracking data points works.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Whole30 was not intended to be a weight loss diet (although no doubt someone has since though "kerching" and started marketing it as such), it's intended to help find out trigger foods for food intolerance.

OP if you haven't lost as much as you're expecting, re-evaluate your logging accuracy, many people underestimate their food intake and/or overestimate their calorie burns (I did for years, and I was convinced I was doing it properly) - check out this thread:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1