Recipes? Tricks?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    edited July 2019
    tec9goo wrote: »
    1.5 to 2 cups of cinnamon?!?! What?!?! I’ve literally never heard of anyone consuming cinnamon (or any spice) in that ridiculous quantity, lol.

Usually people don’t necessarily count calories in cinnamon because they use like 1 or 2 grams at a time. But if you’re using 2 CUPs. of CINNAMON. That’s gonna have a SIGNIFICANT amount of calories. As PAV8888 Stated above.

Sorry guys I just measured it and it is actually .6 cups of cinnamon hahah

For better accuracy, next time you make this please provide a weight in grams of the cinnamon.

Meanwhile, 0.6 C - 9.6 T = 185 calories and 60 g carbs.

v73ih30pnsa5.jpg

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/02010?man=&lfacet=&count=&max=25&qlookup=Spices,+cinnamon,+ground&offset=&sort=default&format=Abridged&reportfmt=other&rptfrm=&ndbno=&nutrient1=&nutrient2=&nutrient3=&subset=&totCount=&measureby=&Qv=1&Q322977=1&Q322978=9.6&Qv=1&Q322977=1&Q322978=1
  • kshama2001
    edited July 2019
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Maybe this is a regional thing, but where can you even buy cups and cups of cinnamon and not spend a small fortune? Real cinnamon is quite expensive, and even the generic supermarket stuff is $3 for a 3 oz bottle.

I find oats quite filling with a little fat added, so I'll stick to that anyway. But I'm just trying to picture buying all that cinnamon. Is it cheap in bulk in maybe big box stores or restaurant supply or something like that?

Spices are far more economical when you buy them by the pound.

Badia is even cheaper, but the best example Walmart had is McCormick: https://www.walmart.com/ip/McCormick-Ground-Cinnamon-18-oz-Bottle/28433716

I used to belong to a natural foods coop that would order spices from Frontier a few times a year. Great deals! These days I get Frontier in bulk from Amazon or iherb.

https://www.frontiercoop.com
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Surely OP meant a tablespoon of cinnamon, right?

They keep saying cups, and that the finished product weighs 2 lbs, so I don't think so!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Maybe this is a regional thing, but where can you even buy cups and cups of cinnamon and not spend a small fortune? Real cinnamon is quite expensive, and even the generic supermarket stuff is $3 for a 3 oz bottle.

I find oats quite filling with a little fat added, so I'll stick to that anyway. But I'm just trying to picture buying all that cinnamon. Is it cheap in bulk in maybe big box stores or restaurant supply or something like that?

Spices are far more economical when you buy them by the pound.

Badia is even cheaper, but the best example Walmart had is McCormick: https://www.walmart.com/ip/McCormick-Ground-Cinnamon-18-oz-Bottle/28433716

I used to belong to a natural foods coop that would order spices from Frontier a few times a year. Great deals! These days I get Frontier in bulk from Amazon or iherb.

https://www.frontiercoop.com

Thanks! That big McCormick is still going to be several dollars per bowl of oatmeal though :lol: Would take my super cheap weekend breakfast to a luxury treat, though I'm not sure I'd like anything with that much in it anyway.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member

I was just about to ask this question! How much is in one of those little schwartz bottles!?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Surely OP meant a tablespoon of cinnamon, right?
    Nope, they meant a 2/3 cup apparently.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    I would be more concerned about coumarin overdose than price. 0.6 cups of cinnamon far exceed the safe amounts. Most ground cinnamon bought in bulk is the kind that contains coumarin, which can cause liver damage.

Cinnamon can get you high too (I read)
  • tec9goo
    tec9goo Posts: 119 Member
    Okay, I HAVE to ask.....only because it’s literally my favorite food. Have you fully mastered the protein fluff ice cream? When done right, it’s so delicious and satisfying that it’s hard to imagine not liking it.

Yea the xantham gum taste isnt a go for me
  • tec9goo
    tec9goo Posts: 119 Member

Ground Saigon from Sam's or costco
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member

Ground Saigon from Sam's or costco
    Saigon cinnamon contains the highest amount of coumarin of all the four Cinnamomum species sold as cinnamon, with one study detecting 6.97 g/kg in an authenticated sample.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saigon_cinnamon

with the data based on journal article https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23627682
  • kshama2001
    Okay, I HAVE to ask.....only because it’s literally my favorite food. Have you fully mastered the protein fluff ice cream? When done right, it’s so delicious and satisfying that it’s hard to imagine not liking it.

Just how much Xanthan Gum are you adding?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member

When you do add xanthan, it’s like a quarter teaspon, I don’t even taste it, but I use Quest powder and don’t need it. It whips into soft serve with just ice and almond milk.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Just how much Xanthan Gum are you adding?

Hopefully not as much as the cinnamon. :#

Yes, I've never tasted Xanthan Gum in recipes, but then I only used 1/8 teaspoon when I made this:
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Whoa, I just made a batch with 140g frozen strawberries, 1 scoop vanilla ON casein, 1 cup milk, and 1/8tsp xanthan gum. That stuff is awesome. But way too filling. I just threw what I couldn't eat into half pint jars in the freezer. I figure the xanthan gum will stabilize it.
  • mo8414
    mo8414 Posts: 13 Member
    edited July 2019
    Instead of deli ham I buy a regular boneless ham. Its cheaper per pound and is lower in calories by almost half.
  • toreybybee
    toreybybee Posts: 6 Member
    That is a ton of cinnamon lol I like this recipe for when I want something sweet or for breakfast:

Banana Blueberry Pancakes

2 large eggs
    1 large organic banana
    1/2 c. organic blueberries
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    ** smash banana with a fork until it is completely mushy/almost liquidy. beat 2 eggs and combine banana and egg. mix in blueberries and cinnamon. (the consistency will be like a pancake batter.) Cook on skillet just like you would pancakes! Drizzle some syrup or honey over and enjoy.
  • OkieGina
    OkieGina Posts: 126 Member
    I don't do dairy so no yogurt, but I make salad dressing/ cooking sauce out of silken tofu and chickpeas that I use on EVERYTHING-- hot or cold for a protein kick.

Added to a salad it ramps ups the protein and flavor; it's a protein-rich and oil free alternative to dip for chips or crudite, or added to a stir-fry it adds protein, flavor and velvety texture without sour cream or yogurt.

Just drain the tofu lightly and toss it in a blender with a can of chickpeas WITH the aquafaba (chickpea water) and pulse until creamy.

Spice the heck out of it with garlic and herbs for a basic mayo substitute that also works as a bechamel-type white sauce, add some nutritional yeast and you've got a queso alternative; a little tomato paste and pickle relish gives you thousand island, half an avocado and some cilantro is spicy green goddess, and some curry powder makes an amazing Indian-inspired simmer sauce with plenty of protein and no ghee!

It stores well in the fridge, although sometimes some water separates out and needs to be stirred back in before adding to dishes.

What kind of tofu do you use (silken?)?
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    edited July 2019

etqiiv0rgxog.png

Lol, above is the one I have, 18 oz. allows me to spice with less reservation, although I certainly don't use cups at a time. I also didn't realize that cinnamon can have so many calories! (again, not sure if it's a concern for me).