Weigh fruit with skin?

Options
When I weigh a banana or grapefruit with the skin on, would that be correct for 100g on MyFitnessPal? For example I think 100g grapefruit is about 42 calories- is that with skin? That doesn’t seem right as half a grapefruit is about 160g so is it really about 70 calories for a half?

Replies

• JeBeBu
    JeBeBu Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I would weigh the grapefruit before eating & after to log the difference, since that is the edible portion. Bananas without peel, etc
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I only weigh what I’m eating. If I’m not eating the skin, I don’t weigh it with skin. Weigh what you eat then adjust the serving size for it here.

^^^^^ this

Why weigh what you're not going to eat?
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    OP: Yo are overthinking it. The wt of the skin on fruit is not that big an issue unless you are,eating bushels of the stuff.

I disagree. Especially if you are trying to lose those last 10lbs and every gram makes a difference. For instance, banana peels weigh roughly 50g (I eat a lot of bananas so I know this). That's an extra 49 calories a banana that you're logging but not eating. If you eat two bananas a day then your calorie consumption is going to be over by 100 grams. Times seven days a week and you're logging 700 calories that you're not eating.