Does Intermittent fasting with calorie deficit work for weight loss (belly and chest)

If I eat the recommended 1500 or less calories a day and only eat with a 6 hour eating window can I lose weight without working out ?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    The goal MFP gives you does not include exercise calories. If you are going to work out, you should eat more. The purpose of the target is to get as close to it as possible. Over a little one day and under a little the next is just fine.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    I don't exercise. I don't do IF. I'm always at a calorie deficit. My allowed calories are 1340 per day.

In the first month, I lost 7.5 inches and 10 pounds.

Why are you being so rigid with your eating window?

Oh, you cannot spot reduce. The weight will come off wherever it wants to.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I believe the OP is no longer with us.
  • LyndaBSS
    They were here for a whole 6 minutes. 😑
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    You can eat 62 calories every hour 24 hours a day and lose weight. Some of it will eventually come from the areas you want.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    They were here for a whole 6 minutes. 😑

Just proves the OP is smarter than we are.
  • LyndaBSS
    😂
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    His profile is showing up here. I'm guessing the bug that sends new members to MFP's nether regions for the first little while hasn't been fixed.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited July 2019
    GreazyG925 wrote: »
    If I eat the recommended 1500 or less calories a day and only eat with a 6 hour eating window can I lose weight without working out ?

The answer to the question is, yes, if 1500 cals/day is less than the cals your body burns each day doing whatever it is that you normally do each day.

Just as you can lose wt w/o "working out", you can also lose wt w/o doing 18:6 IF but if eating only during a 6 hr period helps you to keep your cal intake at 1500 cals or less in order to lose the wt that you want to lose, then do it.

On the other hand, if you find that you gain wt despite doing this, then you may need to eat less than 1500 cal/day which may not be nutritionally wise and/or you are may be eating more cals than you think you are eating and your logging accuracy needs to be improved.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Calorie deficit works for weight loss regardless of intermittent fasting. Intermittent fasting ONLY works for weight loss if there is also a calorie deficit.

IF is simply a schedule for eating. It says nothing about how much you eat, when you eat, nutrition, calories, etc etc.

Calorie deficit works for weight loss regardless of the diet/eating protocol you decide to employ.
  • conrod07
    conrod07 Posts: 4 Member
    What is IF mean?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    conrod07 wrote: »
    What is IF mean?

It stands for Intermittent Fasting. It's an eating protocol - google if it you want more info.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    conrod07 wrote: »
    What is IF mean?

It stands for Intermittent Fasting. It's an eating protocol - google if it you want more info.

Or use the search engine here on MFP. Literally dozens and dozens of threads with great information on Intermittent Fasting.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Yup. It doesn't even matter if it is in 6 hours. Stick to your calorie deficit and it will come off.

I personally do find that putting my first meal off till later helps me to be less hungry throughout the day but there is no magic in it
  • ready2lose2101
    ready2lose2101 Posts: 47 Member
    ogtmama wrote: »
    Yup. It doesn't even matter if it is in 6 hours. Stick to your calorie deficit and it will come off.

I personally do find that putting my first meal off till later helps me to be less hungry throughout the day but there is no magic in it

I just started 16:8 IF and find this to be the case also. If I push my meals to later in the day, I'm usually not as hungry and stay full until my next fast.