So New don't know what to do

Options
lbolewa
lbolewa Posts: 1 Member
edited July 2019 in Introduce Yourself
My weight management Dr. is a 20 something Size 0 Lady telling me that I am Obese!! I am 50 years old. Going through Menopause... I weigh 160 lbs. at 5'0 and I am Obese. OK so I have some curves but Obese.... wow... I look so much smaller than everyone around me but I guess I am not. So here I go on this journey to loose at minimum 35 lbs. in the next 4 mos. because I am pre-diabetic. So I am on a 0 carbs and 0 sugar diet.

I have read that it is not healthy to do 0 carbs and 0 sugars and it is next to impossible. I don't go to the nutritionist until August 1st and I don't know what to eat.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    Zero carb/Zero sugar would basically mean eliminating all fruit, vegetables, grains, etc from your diet, is this something your doctor has told you to do, or something you believe is the only way to get your weight down?

Carbs and sugar do not make people gain weight, eating too much food does, so unless your doctor has told you this is a requirement to manage a medical condition, I would suggest focusing on your calorie intake and making small changes rather than massively overhauling your diet in one go, perhaps just cutting down on added sugars if you're eating a lot and factoring in more fruit and vegetables.

Whatever method of eating you choose for weight loss, ideally needs to be a way you choose to eat for life. Those who fail at weight loss often do so because they don't choose a sustainable method.

If your doctor does have you on this method of eating for a medical condition I would suggest you speak to a registered dietitian before making drastic changes so that you can ensure you're getting your essential nutrients from somewhere.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Just eat foods that you like at a calorie deficit.

I'm a type 1 adult onset diabetic and am now off insulin. I'm still obese according to the charts.

Do yourself a huge favor and give yourself reasonable goals. I do mini goals of 5 lbs. It keeps me motivated because it's always in reach.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    To eat 0 carbs, you would basically only be able to eat meat, eggs, and vegetable oil, so I doubt that's what your doctor suggested.

To lose weight, you need a calorie deficit. Lowering carbs may help you hit your calorie goal, but it's not necessary, and certainly doesn't have to be zero. It also might be a good idea based on your pre-diabetes diagnosis, but again that would be lowering carbs, not going to 0.

Take a look at these posts when you get a chance, they were very helpful to many of us when we were starting out:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

If your doctor suggested you lose 2 lbs per week, that's one thing, but considering your stats I would think 1.5lbs per week would be a pretty aggressive goal and the most you should realistically aim for. Just something to think about.

Welcome and good luck :drinker:
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Ok. It's a shocker to be told you are obese. But the good news is that you only need to shed 6lbs to be just overweight. You can do this in 3-8 weeks by putting your stats into MFP and weighing everything you eat (accurately on a scale not cups and spoons) and measuring everything you drink. And sticking to the calorie goals that MFP gives you.

You don't need to moderate carbs and sugar to do this, but you may want to limit your carbs to fresh fruit and veg (avoiding pastries and breads etc) EDIT (noticed you are pre-diabetic) Definitely avoid baked goods, limit pasta and rice to brown/wholemeal varieties. You may want to limit your sugary treats for health reasons as well, switch to diet soda if you drink soda. I did, and it helped me to get to my goals. It's a personal thing.

Set your initial goal. Then re-set once you are there. Happiness is achievable goals - don't make it any more intimidating that you have to.