Weight gain 😖

Options
I just started a combo of cardio and weight training about 5 weeks ago. I’ve been busting it and making sure to track my macros, but I’ve gained 5 pounds!!!
Anyone else had this issue? Did it eventually turn around for you?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    is your goal weight LOSS? Are you also ensuring to stay in a calorie deficit on top of tracking macros?

if you are increasing exercise your muscles may be retaining water.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • kat8460
    kat8460 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    is your goal weight LOSS? Are you also ensuring to stay in a calorie deficit on top of tracking macros?

if you are increasing exercise your muscles may be retaining water.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

I am and it’s frustrating! Maybe that’s the case! I’ll check out the article! Thanks :)
  • joey32411
    joey32411 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When you first start exercising, you will retain water. Just keep your calories in check and don't stress about it. As long as you stay consistent, eventually your body will get used to it and your weight will settle back down. I mean, I'm an fairly seasoned athlete at this point and water retention is still hard to predict. I mean, I started this week at 140 lbs(which was several pounds up from the previous week), did a long training run, and my weight suddenly dropped to 134. It's bounced back up slightly, two days later, from regaining water volume lost through sweat. It happens to all of us.
  • sarahEA88
    sarahEA88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too! I came back from a vacation and jumped back into diet and workout mode. My weight went up while on vacation, dipped a little the following week and then went up for the next few weeks! That was also 5 weeks ago. This week was the first the scale started down, and then I dropped fast, 4 lbs since Sunday on a 1lb/week diet. Hang in there!