How do you stay motivated?

Options
I am currently trying to lose weight and gain muscle. I've lost weight before and just with cardio and eating pretty well. I have a one year old and have lost my pregnancy weight but still have some to lose. This time it seems harder since I am trying to lose weight and build muscle. I'm not losing as fast, but I am eating right and also get help and tips with exercises at the gym from people who are fit and know what they're doing. I have the correct forms and try new exercises to keep it fun and interesting. However I feel worn out because I am not getting where I want as fast as I want... I feel discouraged and no longer as motivated as I was in the beginning. (Not sure if I posted this right because I have had this app for awhile but never made a post.)

Replies

• _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_
    _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_ Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I take progress pics and measurements and track them along with weight. Sometimes the scale doesn't move, but your body is still changing shape, so it helps to look at more than just your weight.
  • StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Definitely take measurements as with weight training the scale may not be the best gauge of your progress! (or pick a pair of pants/top that are too tight now and try them on each week) Sometimes clothes are better than measurements or the scale!

Are you doing a mix of strength training and cardio? I have been doing a mix of strength training 2 -3 times a week (progressing to heavier weights and trying to get to 3 days a week with rest times between) and cardio (minimum 30 minutes at least 5 times a week) - this has worked for me to lose weight while building muscle. (Still have a way to go though and trying to lose the pregnancy weight from twins for the second time :-) . How far are you from your goal weight? I find that it does get harder the closer you are, so make sure your expectations are not too high! My experience with adding weight training is that my weight tends to go up and down more (DOMS and water retention) and I do not lose weight as fast, so keeping track of long term trends is helpful to see progress.

Do keep in mind that with the strength training you are losing more body fat, relative to muscle so %bodyfat will be going down and you should start to look more toned! I haven't taken pictures, but can tell a difference!

Finally, you probably will lose the weight faster than you gained it! In less than 6 months I have taken off the weight accumulated over the last 6 years.

Keep it going!
  • leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling a bit at the minute as well, I've been going to the gym for 2 months now and whilst every thing is fine and I'm slowly losing the weight I am just feeling a little fatigued by it now.

Today was the first time I've been in 5 days and I almost didn't bother, when I was in there I just couldn't get started, I feel better now that I have got that initial one out of the way and hopefully I'll slip back into my routine.

Could be that I just needed a few days rest, not just for my body but for my brain as well.
  • pontious11349
    pontious11349 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am doing three things...might be a little extreme but its keeping me accountable:

1) Eating mostly meat, fruit and veg (not tracking)
    2) Progress Pictures on the 15th of every month
    3) Doing every single workout posted on Crossfit.com i.e 3 workouts in 4 days mostly scaled to my abilities (very varied keeps it interesting).

• ashleyn4489
    ashleyn4489 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated by looking at my kids. Reminder of why I am going after my goal. The results may not always show but remind yourself how far you've come. I mark the days I exercise, now I'm fixing to mark each time I've done good. I keep self positive reminders telling myself I can and will reach my mark. I did have a moment of being wore out and back slide but I told myself when I was ready to restart again. I also realize it's easy to get discouraged, over whelmed and over worked so I push as far as I can break a few days push myself. I also have my kids joining in. You got this, I believe in you.
  • minecraftwizard1011
    minecraftwizard1011 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I find that having friends helps! I’d love to be your friend!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Motivation is by definition temporary, don't waste too much time focused on holding on to it. Discipline and healthy habits will get you much farther :smile:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Few thoughts. The first is making exercise a habit. On those days when you don't want to work out, get ready to go and put on music to get you hyped. I've started listening to my playlist on the way to the gym. It doesn't always hype me up but puts me into "workout mode". Another thought is if you aren't taking them, take a rest day. I'm awful about this, I bike every day and do weights and elliptical every other. Some days my legs are just exhausted so I've started listening to my body. Another idea is to make both short-tern goals along with longer ones. I make fitness goals to up my distance on the elliptical, up my weights, and up bike resistance. Short term weight goals are in 5lb increments. I've lost 90lbs with 10 to go, 35 since January. I also agree active friends that cheer you on help!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I am currently trying to lose weight and gain muscle. I've lost weight before and just with cardio and eating pretty well. I have a one year old and have lost my pregnancy weight but still have some to lose. This time it seems harder since I am trying to lose weight and build muscle. I'm not losing as fast, but I am eating right and also get help and tips with exercises at the gym from people who are fit and know what they're doing. I have the correct forms and try new exercises to keep it fun and interesting. However I feel worn out because I am not getting where I want as fast as I want... I feel discouraged and no longer as motivated as I was in the beginning. (Not sure if I posted this right because I have had this app for awhile but never made a post.)

@vholley60197 at the age of 63 with health failing faster and faster I decided to never eat to lose weight again after 40 years of yo-yoing weight.

I instead went for better health, less pain and great lab results in Oct 2014. Nearly 5 years later my health is better than in decades with the least pain in 40 years and my lab results has the MD happy. While she does not promote low carb high fat WOE's she tells me stay with the same Way of Eat since it is working so well in my case. Having maintained a 50 pound weight loss for the past 4 years without losing weight as a goal is a huge positive side effect in my case since I weighed over 250 pounds back in 2014.

The desire to live many years more with a better quality of health is my motivation I guess. After a couple weeks of LCHF the cravings started to fade away after cold turkey I stopped eating any foods containing any added sweeteners of any kind or any form of any grain.

While LCHF is awesome to finding better health and more muscles in my case it is NOT the only WOE out there that can lead to better health, less weight and more muscles so over time try different WOE's to find the one that works best for you. Best of success.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    I don't. Motivation is fleeting. My self-discipline keeps me working hard. I know it may be slow, but if I keep showing up day after day and do the right things, I will see results.

^This.
    I'm rarely motivated these days. I'm not sure why, but it's habit that gets me to my workouts. Just keep showing up. If I do that, I always do the work once I'm there.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Patience is key especially when it comes to maintaining or building muscle. Focusing on other goals besides the scale such as workout performance (strength, stamina, endurance etc), how you feel, how your clothes fit, the mirror and measurements.
  • Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have a spreadsheet that I update weekly. I get to fill it in green if I lose. I give myself 5lb 'treats'- so a wee piece of jewellery, a piece of clothing etc. I'm down almost a stone (14lbs) but have another 22 lbs to lose so I need to find some things on Etsy I can lust over.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

It's always slower than we want it to be. It gets slower as you have less body fat. Think of this as a test for you now, to see if you can keep the lifestyle. You see, once you get to your goal you will still have to love the process to KEEP it, and it's still the same tedious steps every day. That's why they say "fall in love with the process", not the results so much. When you get there, there won't be any changes that propel you along, you have to build your own motivation in your life.

Fall in love with how healthy your body feels when you workout and eat healthy. As you go along, your changes will be seen by others, and in your progress pictures as people here have already said.

Your motivation will ebb and flow like a continuum, so it's important to build discipline and habits that get you through when "you are not feeling it".

In the end, pushing through the tedium makes it all as it should be. It's how life works.

Keep going!

Roberta
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I started a challenge on the Challenges forum. Basically, I wanted to eat less than maintenance every day, and count the number of days in a row I could do it. As time went by I decided to lower my maximum to speed things up. It has really helped me, this challenge.

Of course not all challenges help everyone, some you love, some you hate. If you aren't already, maybe join some challenges. I believe that they truly are the best thing of myfitnesspal. There are a billion calorie counting apps out there but few ways to partake in challenges.