Starting keto

Options
Cjartman
Cjartman Posts: 3 Member
Started one month ago. Lost 8 pounds. Then leveled off. Please answer these questions:
I am not counting macros for each meal. Winging it. Is that wise?
Is this why I am not losing? I don’t think I am eating enough fat.
Sometimes I only can eat twice a day plus snack. Bad idea?
I just made fat bombs for first time. Delicious! Am I limited to one a day?
Can I drink a little diet pop or ice tea daily?

I love that I have comfortably maintained my loss. But I want to lose more. The procedures of eating this style seems to be more difficult than actually eating 75-20-5. Most of the time I feel quite satisfied.

Thanks.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    cgjcgjmle wrote: »
    Started one month ago. Lost 8 pounds. Then leveled off. Please answer these questions:

I love that I have comfortably maintained my loss. But I want to lose more. The procedures of eating this style seems to be more difficult than actually eating 75-20-5. Most of the time I feel quite satisfied.

Thanks.

Welcome!
    How long has it been since you've lost weight? How much weight do you need to lose?
    Are you sticking to your calorie goal?

I don't do keto, so I can't speak on anything specific to that. But calories determine weight loss and meal timing/number of meals/macros are personal preference.

Weight loss isn't linear, so if it's only been a week or two, it's perfectly normal to not lose weight as quickly, or at all, every week. Good luck!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

Thanks.

If you are currently satiated then the issue is either your calories are too high or you just haven't waited long enough for the scale to move again. Considering that you have only done this a month so far either answer is a possibility.

I would not increase your fat or eat more than one "fat bomb" right now unless you want to start tracking your calories to make sure you can afford them.

Diet pop or unsweetened tea should not complicate your satiety level. If it does you know to cut them back out.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Thanks.

Outside the first two weeks, how much weight did you lose. The first couple weeks will have greater amounts of glycogen/water weight loss, so it isn't a good indicator or actual fat loss rate.

If you aren't tracking calories, its hard to tell what you are doing wrong, except for consuming too many calories.

If you aren't losing weight at an appropriate amount, than adding more fat is a very bad choice, because too much dietary fat will make you fat.

There is nothing wrong with diet soda or nutritional sweeteners.

And losing 8 lbs in 4 weeks is a good pace. After the first few weeks, you generally go to a normal fat lose level (1-2lbs) like everyone else.

If you don't lose after a few more weeks, i would either track or cut your fat back a bit. You honestly don't get extra benefits from more fat.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    eelko2 wrote: »
    Actually Danp, your advice is incorrect for a Keto Diet... The Keto diet relies of on reaching Ketosis, so macros are important as you need to keep the carb level below a certain amount. Winging it is a bad idea, you have to follow it carefully until ketosis is reached and after that monitor your ketones to make sure you are staying in ketosis...

No, monitoring macros is important in achieving ketosis only and being in ketosis (or not) has zero impact on weight loss.

Eat a keto diet in and achieve ketosis while eating 500cals per day above maintenance and you'll put on a pound per week. Eat a keto diet and achieve ketosis while eating 500cals per day below maintenance and you'll lose a pound a week.

Just because you've adapted your body to burn one energy source (fats) over another (carbs) doesn't automagically exclude you from needing to be in a calorie deficit to achieve weight loss.
  • Cjartman
    Cjartman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for replying. I appreciated the direct comments to my questions. And I did realize that Danp’s response was not based on KETO principles. So that knowledge indicates I am learning some of the basics.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for replying. I appreciated the direct comments to my questions. And I did realize that Danp’s response was not based on KETO principles. So that knowledge indicates I am learning some of the basics.

Just don't put the principles of keto above your primary objective which is to lose weight. The purpose of a way of eating is to keep you full and happy while you are staying in a calorie deficit. It is not so you can pee on a stick to see ketone levels.

• Hyacinth_Hippo
    Hyacinth_Hippo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto for a few weeks now, and I try to track everything I eat. This way I'm tracking my macros and total calories. If I'm below my calories and my % of protein or carbs are too high, then I eat a fat bomb or two, depending on how many calories I have left to eat. I put more importance on eating to my calorie limit vs getting 'enough' fat, and I've been seeing decent result, but I haven't been on keto for as long as you.
  • jheitman2
    jheitman2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started Keto diet on July 8th, weighing 206 pounds and 5' 11" after my doc told me I was borderline obese. Today, less than 7 weeks later, I weigh 187 pounds, a loss of 19 pounds. I found the first week difficult as I dealt with the withdrawal from sweets and finding substitutes for all the rice, potato and corn I was eating. But shortly after that first week, I found my reflux completely disappeared, I'm less tired, sleep better and have more energy than I have in years.
    I do struggle getting to 1200 calories a day and 'top off' using macadamia nuts. 10 nuts is 200 calories and lots of fat.
    Obviously, getting my body to burn fat is doing the job! My goal is 175 by my 45th high school reunion and it looks like I'll be able to make that.
    Absolutely the main reason I got up to 206 and struggled loosing weight was because I was addicted to sugar and carbs. I'd eat a FULL meal and within a couple hours, be hungry. Not just able to eat something, but grizzly-bear-coming-out-of-hibernation hungry! Now, on this 'diet', I rarely feel hungry and then only for my snack foods like Cheetos or a big old apple fritter. Ha!
    I eat breakfast maybe every 3rd day; eggs/bacon/patty sausage/omelette, otherwise coffee. Lunch is deli meat with cream cheese w/jalapeno, antipasti, cottage cheese, leftovers from the night before. Dinner is usually a rib eye steak, salmon, grilled chicken, ribs w/some sort of veggie and a salad. All that is MAYBE 1000 calories and I'll have to munch on some of those macadamia nuts to get up to 1200 minimum.
    I have been kayak fishing, gardening, bike riding and otherwise keeping active, but I don't actually have a workout program.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    jheitman2 wrote: »
    I started Keto diet on July 8th, weighing 206 pounds and 5' 11" after my doc told me I was borderline obese. Today, less than 7 weeks later, I weigh 187 pounds, a loss of 19 pounds. I found the first week difficult as I dealt with the withdrawal from sweets and finding substitutes for all the rice, potato and corn I was eating. But shortly after that first week, I found my reflux completely disappeared, I'm less tired, sleep better and have more energy than I have in years.
    I do struggle getting to 1200 calories a day and 'top off' using macadamia nuts. 10 nuts is 200 calories and lots of fat.
    Obviously, getting my body to burn fat is doing the job! My goal is 175 by my 45th high school reunion and it looks like I'll be able to make that.
    Absolutely the main reason I got up to 206 and struggled loosing weight was because I was addicted to sugar and carbs. I'd eat a FULL meal and within a couple hours, be hungry. Not just able to eat something, but grizzly-bear-coming-out-of-hibernation hungry! Now, on this 'diet', I rarely feel hungry and then only for my snack foods like Cheetos or a big old apple fritter. Ha!
    I eat breakfast maybe every 3rd day; eggs/bacon/patty sausage/omelette, otherwise coffee. Lunch is deli meat with cream cheese w/jalapeno, antipasti, cottage cheese, leftovers from the night before. Dinner is usually a rib eye steak, salmon, grilled chicken, ribs w/some sort of veggie and a salad. All that is MAYBE 1000 calories and I'll have to munch on some of those macadamia nuts to get up to 1200 minimum.
    I have been kayak fishing, gardening, bike riding and otherwise keeping active, but I don't actually have a workout program.

Congrats on the progress you're making.

From your post it's pretty clear that your appetite is very much satiated by fats which means you're the perfect candidate for using a high fat approach to eating like Keto.

Being fat satiated and following a high fat diet has allowed you to achieve the calorie deficit you need to lose weight in the easiest, most natural and effortless way possible for you. Which is the PERFECT way to go about things.

This really illustrates a point that may people here try to hammer through, particularly to newbies. That point being that there are LOADS of different methods and approaches to achieving a calorie deficit and everyone will find some easier than others. The key is to try different approaches until you find one that lets you achieve your goal with the least amount of effort. Make it effortless and the need for 'motivation' is greatly diminished if not entirely eliminated.

Well done.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    jheitman2 wrote: »

@jheitman2

The minimum number of calories for a man is 1500 and that is for a sedentary man meaning little to no exercise. You are clearly more active than that. You are in no danger currently because it has only been a few weeks but if you keep going at this pace you will be in danger of malnutrition and from what I have read you feel fine until you feel very poorly.