Extra calories in budget

Options
JDdrcar
JDdrcar Posts: 5 Member
Lately I have been ending my days with a decent amount of calories left in the bank. After all of my meals and snacks, and adjustments for exercise, I am typically left with around 4-500 of my 2,000 per diem.

While I’m in the losing weight side, is the goal to hit the number dead on? If I’m consistently under while I’m losing, will my weight slingshot back when I begin to increase calories to maintain my goal weight?

Thanks!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating your exercise calories?

I have found the MFP database CI/CO to be pretty darn accurate.
  • JDdrcar
    Options
    I’m basing everything off of MFP numbers. I adjust them to the most conservative numbers for exercise, and the most generous numbers when logging food, to account for any potential errors.
  • L1zardQueen
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Are losing weight fast? Or okay? Or nothing at all? When did you start using MFP?
  • JDdrcar
    Options
    I’m very new to the program, on my 3rd week. I’m pleased with my loss so far, averaging around 1.5#/week.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    You sound like you are doing fine. What is your starting weight and your goal?
  • JDdrcar
    Options
    Started at 190, goal is 170-175. My concern is that if I am consistently below my calorie goal now, when I begin to add calories to begin maintaining my weight, will I add #’s as quickly as I’ve lost them?
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    JDdrcar wrote: »
    Started at 190, goal is 170-175. My concern is that if I am consistently below my calorie goal now, when I begin to add calories to begin maintaining my weight, will I add #’s as quickly as I’ve lost them?

You don't have a lot to lose, therefore I would say you are losing too fast. You should aim for under 1 lb a week. Hence, my suggestion would be to eat more.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Perla4686 wrote: »

You don't have a lot to lose, therefore I would say you are losing too fast. You should aim for under 1 lb a week. Hence, my suggestion would be to eat more.

^this.

OP what you’re concerned about, eating too low then suddenly gaining it all back, isn’t really a factor. However, there can be adverse effects from under eating and losing weight more rapidly than your fat stores can support. For someone with less than 20 lbs to lose it’s generally recommended to lose 0.5 lbs/week. This will help with your transition to maintenance as you just have a better handle on your calorie needs and are making small adjustments rather than a big one.

If you are consistently 400-500 calories under goal you have some options. Add in some extra calories to the meals you’re already eating - healthy fats, some avocado, cheese, larger servings. Or add a snack before you work out - some nuts, PB apple, protein bar, etc. use it for an indulgence at the end of the day - a serving of ice cream... or bank some of them and use for a weekend splurge.
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    tlpina82 wrote: »
    So... 1.5 lbs to 2 lbs per week is not a lot.
    The warning here is that when you're well below your calories, you run the risk of losing muscle mass which will in turn slow your metabolism. And worse of all, there's a risk of impacting your thyroid and messing with your hormones (Thou this takes a while to happen)

However; If your current state is working for you, you don't feel sickly, or tired all the time, there's no need to change it, at least for now.
    Your body will tell you when something is wrong if you pay attention to it. First thing to go is grip strength. If you find yourself at the gym, lifting something you did before but now it's harder and you're having trouble with the grip, it's a good sign that you may need to eat a little more. Also, watch for sleepiness, sex drive decrease, lack of focus etc.

It would be better if we knew your age, activity level and height, but generally, if you are working and losing weight and continue to work, but add the maintenance calories, you should be fine and should not gain any weight.

Think of it from a Math point of view. If you set your goal to lose 2 lbs per week and it says 2000 cals is what you should aim for and in your calculations, you're eating 1500 and losing 1.5 lbs, 2 things may be happening.
    1 - Your calculation is wrong and maybe your metabolism is slower than anticipated.
    2 - You're underestimating your calories

Can you post more info?
    Height, Age, Your per week goal set with Fitness Pal and a description of your activities.
    I'd also like to know what is your Ultimate Goal.
    Example... I wanted to be under 10% body fat and have a six pack and it came a point where I had to stop losing weight, build muscle to kick up my metabolism and then cut again.

I wouldn't advise waiting untill you feel it to increase calories. I believe that goes against medical advice also. At that point damage may have already occured.

• JDdrcar
    Options
    tlpina82 wrote: »
    So... 1.5 lbs to 2 lbs per week is not a lot.
    The warning here is that when you're well below your calories, you run the risk of losing muscle mass which will in turn slow your metabolism. And worse of all, there's a risk of impacting your thyroid and messing with your hormones (Thou this takes a while to happen)

However; If your current state is working for you, you don't feel sickly, or tired all the time, there's no need to change it, at least for now.
    Your body will tell you when something is wrong if you pay attention to it. First thing to go is grip strength. If you find yourself at the gym, lifting something you did before but now it's harder and you're having trouble with the grip, it's a good sign that you may need to eat a little more. Also, watch for sleepiness, sex drive decrease, lack of focus etc.

It would be better if we knew your age, activity level and height, but generally, if you are working and losing weight and continue to work, but add the maintenance calories, you should be fine and should not gain any weight.

Think of it from a Math point of view. If you set your goal to lose 2 lbs per week and it says 2000 cals is what you should aim for and in your calculations, you're eating 1500 and losing 1.5 lbs, 2 things may be happening.
    1 - Your calculation is wrong and maybe your metabolism is slower than anticipated.
    2 - You're underestimating your calories

Can you post more info?
    Height, Age, Your per week goal set with Fitness Pal and a description of your activities.
    I'd also like to know what is your Ultimate Goal.
    Example... I wanted to be under 10% body fat and have a six pack and it came a point where I had to stop losing weight, build muscle to kick up my metabolism and then cut again.

Thanks, all! Yes, fortunately, I don’t have much weight to lose. Since my total time invested in losing weight will be low, slowing it down to a rate more along the lines of 1/2lb/week would be no problem.

For more detail:

I am a 33 y/o male, 5’10”.
    I am tracking to lose 1#/week through MFP parameters.

My goal to get to 172-175 from 190 is a mutually agreed upon goal by myself and my PCP as part of a larger program to lower my blood pressure.

My typical activities above my normal day to day activities include 15 minutes of swimming and 10 minutes of body weight exercise, but typically crunches.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I’m very new to the program, on my 3rd week. I’m pleased with my loss so far, averaging around 1.5#/week.

So some of that could be water weight loss. Before adjusting your calories you need to confirm what you are eating now. Being new to this you may not realize the importance of a food scale or how many MFP food database entries are incorrect.

Food scale:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

Logging:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1