how do I fix this and not lose my fitness level?

Options
So I've been suffering from shin splints lately and it seems that ice, rest, and ibuprofen are the best solutions. I'm worried about the rest part. My last run was 3 miles on wednesday, thursday I did some low impact stuff, friday I walked a few miles, and today I was supposed to do a long run, 5 miles. But, my shiny shin shin hurts just sitting here. I don't want to get 3.5 miles from home and have it kill me, so I'm going to try to rest it. I'm fighting in my head with doing this, how much time do I have to rest? How far behind is this going to put me on my training schedule. (I'm training for a 10 mile race at the end of october, I had a 10 week training plan stretched over 11 weeks, and i"m only a few weeks in to it.) I'm just looking for a little reassurance, anybody got any ideas??

Thanks

Replies

• Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    no ideas really? this is my first post that didn't get any response, and the one I was really hoping to get a little advice from!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    To keep conditioning up you might want to try non-running stuff. The first thing that came to my mind was Tabata Thrusters. They are basically a squat where you hold some light dumbells at your shoulders. When you come up from the squat press them over head and lower them, then squat again. Seems simple enough, but then you add to it using the Tabata protocol which is IIRC 8 rounds of 20 seconds doing this exercise as fast as you can with good form, followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeat. This will give a 4 minute workout, not including warm-up and cool-down time, that will give lots of conditioning. Here is a video of someone doing them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peLFTePbfDQ

It sounds easy, but this is one of the hardest workouts I have ever done. I am completely exhausted by it afterward. The goal is to do the repetitions both at a speed and weight that allows you to do about the same amount every interval. If the numbers drop off a lot near the final intervals you are either going to fast or using too much weight. Doing these more than three times a week is probably more than you should do. You need at least a days rest between sessions.
  • sphares
    sphares Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A couple of things you can try:

1. Sit in a chair and write the alphabet with your big toe.
    2. Stand and and balance on one foot and point your other foot out in front of you. Rapidly tap it up and down several times (my parents started walking recently and swear this works).

As far as training, try doing some cross training stuff that is non-impact. I'm training for a 1/2 marathon and only run 3 days a week, cross train (ride bike, swim, etc) 2 days and rest 2 days. Finding other activities will help you improve and give your shins a rest.
  • MJStory
    MJStory Posts: 42
    Options
    It sounds like you're in pretty good shape, physically. I'm assuming that you haven't torn a muscle. A common reason for cramps of any kind could mean that you're not getting enough carbs. for your higher level of activity; &/or this could also be a problem with not enough electrolytes, especially potassium. During exercise, your muscles burn calories from any source; if you run out of readily available blood glucose, you're body will use the Krebs Cycle to make glucose from fat, or from muscle if not enough fat is available. Some people can feel light-headed, dizzy, or a little foggy when this happens; a few feel energized. Another side effect of the Krebs Cycle can also be cramping from the "junk" byproducts while in the muscle that are normally excreted by kidneys & perspiration. Perspiring makes you lose electrolytes and water, and so does flushing "junk" through the kidneys. There is a reason that all the sports drinks available OTC include readily absorbed primary sugar of some type as well as electrolytes. Try using sports drinks and see if there's an improvement (actually, reduction) in your shin splints. Of course, you'll need to include it in your diet plan. I hope this helps!