Hospital Stay/31 Weeks Pregnant/Edema

Options
I need all of the advice and insight I can get. I was in the hospital July 15th - 19th. I went in for extreme low potassium levels. I received iv’s of potassium, phosphorus and saline while I was admitted. I came out weighing 22 pounds more than I went in and was experiencing severe edema in mainly face and lower extremities. I am here 5 days out and have yet to loose any of the water retention or edema. I have been pushing water like crazy, taking B6, magnesium & dandelion and no change. Misery is an understatement. Any advice would be so appreciated. I’m beyond frustrated.

Replies

• poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I've never gone through any of that, but if it was me? I'd have my butt at the doctor's office! Just to make sure all's well.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I've had potassium drips many times due to heart issues. They are my least favorite hospital procedure. Too much potassium and your heart can stop.

Your weight gain is huge compared to any I've had. Call your doctor or the attending doctor from the hospital. Was this mentioned on your discharge papers?

Edited to add: sorry, didn't see your last post above.
  • KaylaMarieRice0817
    KaylaMarieRice0817 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’m worried about so much of the weight because it’s edema. It’s pools around my ankles, thighs and face. It’s EXTREMELY uncomfortable.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I have idiopathic edema. Gained over 60 lbs of water in a few months. I am still on diuretics for it, 10 years later, although it's much better.

I don't think they'd put you on a diuretic due to the pregnancy. Hopefully, it will flush out soon.

You can also try compression socks.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Blood pressure is great! Went for my follow up this morning. The doctor says it’s normal and my body was just so out of wack it wants to hold to the fluid in my body. Also no protein in urine either to determine preeclampsia. We know our bodies well though. It’s not literally possible to gain from 22 pounds from fluids during a hospital visit and it be permanent right?

So glad they checked you and you don't have it!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    So glad you got checked out! Hopefully the edema resolves soon!
  • 51caTlaDy
    51caTlaDy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had something called polyhydramos during my second pregnancy in my last 2 months. It is more common in diabetics. My bag of water doubled and I looked like I was having triplets. I retained a lot of water in my legs and feet. Two weeks after I delivered at 37 weeks I was back to my prepregnancy weight. I had a healthy baby. I think the reason I lost weight so quickly besides the edema was I was overweight before the pregnancy.