Do you listen to music at the gym? If so, why?

Options
13»

Replies

• otterbx
    otterbx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Only when doing cardio, feel like I need the motivation as I don’t really love running. Not when lifting, I enjoy it and I’m not going 100% all out as I don’t want to pull something (again) and be sidelined.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Sometimes music but usually a podcast or audiobook. It's partly to keep my mind entertained, to cover up the piped in music I don't care for, to keep me focused and in my own bubble, and also I like to consume these things and this is available time for my ears and brain. As someone whose strength work is casual and cursory, I've never felt the need to concentrate on it to the extent that music is a distraction. I watch TV on my iPad during cardio because it's about the only TV time I take and I have some shows I am enjoying.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I listen to music while I lift as it can get me more motivated and helps pass the time as well.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the gym I listen to podcasts, the same was true when I was running (outside on a track). If I'm erging with my rowing team, I'll listen to whatever they have on.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I usually listen to podcasts while I run -- music was kind of background noise for me, but podcasts can be thoroughly distracting or entertaining. I hate hearing the sound of my feet as I run, so it covers it.

I lift at home, and that's when I get to watch bad reality TV -- thanks, Amazon Prime!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I do, it is an integral part of my workout. If I don't have music (I listen to a lot of the same songs) I can't get in the zone. I've heard in some studies people can lift up to 15% more weight when listening to music. Haven't verified the research myself, YMMV. I'm an anxious person, I overthink. Music helps keep me "in the zone". I have music for lifting (heavy and moderate lifting) and music for cardio.

My husband doesn't find music necessary, he listens to podcasts or goes without.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I put my headphones on before I head to the gym with a playlist on and don't take them off until I get home. I listen to fast music, it pushes and motivates me during my cardio then ramp it up for weight lifting. I also listen to it and read novels when doing cardio on my recumbent bike. I had my bluetooth die at the gym once and it was torture to listen to gym music, people grunting, and weights dropping! I do turn it down when I first get there to say hi to staff and sign into WiFi, otherwise only if someone is talking to me.

This happened to me once too, so I now have backup wireless headphones always charged too.

Last week this poor guy started his 40 min run on the treadmill and somehow knocked his headphones off to the floor by accident 20 min into his run...I could tell how bummed he was and how he was tormented on whether to start and stop again or go without...so I quickly ran over to pick up his headphones for him. He was extremely thankful...that’s the worst—when you somehow kill the music mid cardio!
  • lg013
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    When I went to the gym, I did not use anything that distracted me from proper form on the machines. Also, for safety purposes. I watched the tv while on the treadmill but that was it.

I have wireless headphones (AirPods and a cheap backup in case the battery dies on my AirPods)...so it doesn’t cause a safety issue.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I listen to music, have a Pandora station specifically set up that I work out to. It's songs that have a tempo and beat that make for a good cadence if doing cardio type stuff, and it's energetic music, so tends to keep me pushing when I might let the other voices overrule.

Secondly, it helps keep me focused (the ADD is strong with this one). Without them I get distracted by way too many other things.

Thirdly, in a busy gym, helps keep other people from bothering me and gives me something to listen to between sets if needed.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,569 Member
    Options
    Osteoels wrote: »
    I can't work out without music. It sets an unconscious tempo, and distracts me from how hard I'm working. Even if I'm listening to Spotify and it goes to an ad, suddenly my energy levels drop (especially if it happens during a high-intensity part of the workout). No music is many, many times harder than with for me.

LOL, Spotify has the longest ads! I like my playlists there for cardio but switch for weights. That minute seems to take forever!
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I hate listening to music while working out because I feel like I'll pick something, start working out, and then not enjoy my choice but don't feel like stopping my workout to change it. I've started listening to comedy specials, Last Week Tonight, and cooking shows while working out, and it's fantastic. Gives my mind something to focus on other than sweat and muscle-aches.
  • aziz_n1
    aziz_n1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Totally agree the gym plays mostly crap & much too loud for my liking but I’m told that the younger crowd like it. I much prefer my own pop/rock songs which help make the gym session more enjoyable, helps motivate me. Quite often I will be singing along, just hope I’m not that loud when I do. To quote a lyric from one of Neil Diamonds greatest hits:
    ‘I don’t dig what’s in, so I guess I’m out.’
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I listen to podcasts, even while lifting (who am I kidding, I rarely do any cardio). If I listen to music I get lost in my own head about it and distracted from the task at hand. A mindless podcast like sports talk or fantasy football is my go-to.
  • lg013
    Options
    I can't work out without music. It sets an unconscious tempo, and distracts me from how hard I'm working. Even if I'm listening to Spotify and it goes to an ad, suddenly my energy levels drop (especially if it happens during a high-intensity part of the workout). No music is many, many times harder than with for me.

LOL, Spotify has the longest ads! I like my playlists there for cardio but switch for weights. That minute seems to take forever!

I caved and purchased a Spotify subscription Bc my phone reception is spotty at my gym....I need the offline playlists avail or I die!
  • otterbx
    otterbx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    lg013 wrote: »

I caved and purchased a Spotify subscription Bc my phone reception is spotty at my gym....I need the offline playlists avail or I die!

I just did the same thing! Must...have...music...

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Everyone hating on their gym music, have you ever wished for there to just be none? I had wondered about it until one weekend it malfunctioned or something and there was no music at all and I tell you, the gym sounds WEIRD without a soundtrack :D
  • Alia_R
    Alia_R Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I NEED my headphones & music. Not only does it help me get into my groove but it sure does drown out the gorilla-like grunting sound of men. 😒
  • ItsOnlyHonest
    ItsOnlyHonest Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yep I couldn't train without spotify blaring in my headphones.....Helps my train harder.