Cutting it all out?

Options
Has anyone cut all 'junk' out?

I can't do moderation. It's binge or nothing. I crave it every evening. So thinking within a few weeks of nothing it might get easier?

Replies

• kevinflemming1982
    kevinflemming1982 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Depends on your personality and how much willpower you have, really. If you binge, then it's probably not a good idea to cut it out completely, as you'll only crave it more and chances are, give in even quicker. I would allow yourself one snack per day. Nothing crazy, just a small chocolate bar or whatever. It's not going to impact your weight loss a huge amount anyway, provided you do a little exercise to counter it.

That's what I do. If I fancy a snack, I work it off beforehand. 25 minutes on an exercise bike and you can have that chocolate bar.
  • max1952gr
    max1952gr Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I hope you find your level goal.

I am in late 60's,

This is all bit unreal logging onto this. I hope it work.
  • max1952gr
    Options
    Max
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm about 50 days since I bought chocolate, soft drink and chips. Yes, it definitely gets easier. The first few days are the hardest.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I still buy some junk food favorites...but as soon as I get home, they’re immediately portioned out and stored in appropriate snack sizes in jars or reusable bags...Bc if I grab a bag of popcorn or chips, I will continue to eat too. Since you have to adjust and adjust to temptation...when you reach for a snack...proportion the amount you actually want to eat out calorie wise into a bowl and then put the snack away. You can visualize what you are allowing yourself to eat and learn to savor and slow it down a bit more. In the beginning it’s all about portion sizing and using containers to see that.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    My biggest craving is for Coca Cola...I will say I had to slowly get myself off of it Bc I was addicted. I slowly reduced my consumption of it...now I’m down to about 3-4 7.5 ounce cans of it a month.

I’ll never completely cut it from my diet though Bc it’s delicious and I enjoy savoring it as a treat!
  • max1952gr
    Options
    Chocolate. I adore chocolate
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    I think we have different issues. I need to give myself a moderated amount of the things I like and I can live with that without feeling a need to binge. Have you tried slowly reducing the foods you like to binge on until you get to a level you consider manageable in terms of your goals?
  • Natalietia
    Natalietia Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm a binge eater. I can't eat part of a big bar of chocolate, I eat the whole damn thing! For me, I choose when to eat it. I don't have t everyday but I do allow myself treats. Are you able to cut it out during the week and indulge a little at the weekends?
  • darklyndsea
    darklyndsea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Don't ever go to the grocery store, or anywhere else with junk food, when you're hungry. It's really hard to make good choices when you're hungry.

What worked for me was replacing my junk food with healthy snacks: vegetables for when I'm eating because I'm bored, and nuts or cheese (i.e. fat or protein) for when I'm hungry before mealtime. I weigh out and log a portion before I start eating it, so that I don't forget. Personally, I know that I would never be able to stick it out if I didn't have snacks, so I figured out a way to include them without going over my calories.

It definitely gets easier eventually. After a few weeks of no candy, I had some, and it tasted insanely sweet. Even the dark chocolate, which is normally on the border of being too bitter for me!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    Options
    lg013 wrote: »
    I still buy some junk food favorites...but as soon as I get home, they’re immediately portioned out and stored in appropriate snack sizes in jars or reusable bags...Bc if I grab a bag of popcorn or chips, I will continue to eat too. Since you have to adjust and adjust to temptation...when you reach for a snack...proportion the amount you actually want to eat out calorie wise into a bowl and then put the snack away. You can visualize what you are allowing yourself to eat and learn to savor and slow it down a bit more. In the beginning it’s all about portion sizing and using containers to see that.

I tried this and it doesn't work for me with a lot of foods - and I have tried at various times in the last ten years. If it's in my house I can't stop eating it. So my solution is to only buy it rarely. One package of cookies or ice cream is one serving. That's just how it is. I do the same thing the post below suggests, and that is have Special Occasion foods. By "Special" I don't mean Friday, but maybe a few times per year or when I am out and can have a single serving (but not bring it home.)
    Natalietia wrote: »
    I'm a binge eater. I can't eat part of a big bar of chocolate, I eat the whole damn thing! For me, I choose when to eat it. I don't have t everyday but I do allow myself treats. Are you able to cut it out during the week and indulge a little at the weekends?

• MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Yea don’t bring it in your house...purchase healthy snacks
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I tried this and it doesn't work for me with a lot of foods - and I have tried at various times in the last ten years. If it's in my house I can't stop eating it. So my solution is to only buy it rarely. One package of cookies or ice cream is one serving. That's just how it is. I do the same thing the post below suggests, and that is have Special Occasion foods. By "Special" I don't mean Friday, but maybe a few times per year or when I am out and can have a single serving (but not bring it home.)

This is me. I rarely buy the things that I have a tendency to overeat. If I do buy them I am under no false illusions that I can moderate them. I know upfront that I will eat the whole bag or box. I am okay with this.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by junk food? I think I was overly picky about the kinds of things many call junk food (packaged treats, dessert foods) even before losing weight, so didn't tend to have it at home or buy it. Didn't keep me from getting fat, however.

Mostly I find what works for me is focusing on what I do eat and not what I don't -- nutrient dense breakfast, lunch, and dinner, understanding what I want in my diet and what's filling. I used to snack kind of mindlessly at work when food was there (which it often is, and sometimes what I would eat wouldn't even be something I liked that much) -- this was when I was stressed or unhappy especially, but also habitual. I decided immediately that I would cut that out. Related to that I decided to cut out added sugar (mainly because I kept reading about how we all supposedly consumed so much sugar and it was so hard to quit). What I found was that the snacking thing took about a week to break the habit and was incredibly helpful. The no sugar thing was suprisingly easy, but I didn't think it was especially beneficial. Eventually I decided to allow myself a little ice cream (my favorite added sugar treat) after dinner within my cals a few days a week, and I think that approach rather than thinking dieting meant no just for fun foods made it more sustainable for me.

Oddly enough I haven't really been eating many dessert type foods for months now, as I've just lost the taste for them, but on occasion I do (I've been at maintenance since 2015).
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I found in the past I can cut things out for a few weeks or months but then I just snap one day and splurge and end up back in the same routine.

I find the best way to do it for me is to plan my meals, try not to buy items other than what I need for meals and if I want something like chocolate or crisps buy a single pack for consumption elsewhere (i.e. not at home).

I also found that playing around with my macros helped me feel fuller from my meals.

My biggest problem now is emotional eating because that's not limited to junk food, I will literally eat anything, it's the act of eating that calms me whether it be veg, fruit or chocolate.

Tackling that is what I think will help me more in the future.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    I think we have different issues. I need to give myself a moderated amount of the things I like and I can live with that without feeling a need to binge. Have you tried slowly reducing the foods you like to binge on until you get to a level you consider manageable in terms of your goals?

I'm this way too. I've trained myself to eat a small portion. Because I know its there I know I can have more tomorrow. I also read an article once that said the first few bites taste the best and after that the taste satisfaction goes down. So I remind myself that any bites after a few aren't going to be good. It sounds weird but it works for me.

I also tell myself that if I want more I have to wait 10 minutes and if I still want it in 10 minutes I can have it. I have never once gone back for more after 10 minutes. But giving myself that option helps.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I found that cutting out things like chips, cakes, ice cream, most fast food for a while helped me appreciate the taste of other foods, and the satisfaction I get out of them. Your palate changes somewhat, so that you can appreciate foods that aren't heavy on sugar or fat or salt. Some things I still have difficulty with so I don't keep them in the house - ice cream is an example, candy bars are another. If I want one of these things I'll have it occasionally and go down to the ice cream parlor or convenience store to buy a serving. That way I don't have it around the house. I've also had success apportioning snacks into sandwich bags as someone else pointed out - I've done this with chocolate bars, for example. But bottom line is: there's no one size fits all solution - you're going to have to figure out what works for you.

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Has anyone cut all 'junk' out?

I can't do moderation. It's binge or nothing. I crave it every evening. So thinking within a few weeks of nothing it might get easier?

I cut out junk food and candy on day one. You have to rethink your all or nothing mentality. Today makes day 45 that I haven't snacked at night.

Within two weeks of eating healthier foods, my cravings for the crap food had disappeared naturally.

I eat pescatarian which is a plant based diet with seafood, eggs and some dairy.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I found in the past I can cut things out for a few weeks or months but then I just snap one day and splurge and end up back in the same routine.

I find the best way to do it for me is to plan my meals, try not to buy items other than what I need for meals and if I want something like chocolate or crisps buy a single pack for consumption elsewhere (i.e. not at home).

I also found that playing around with my macros helped me feel fuller from my meals.

My biggest problem now is emotional eating because that's not limited to junk food, I will literally eat anything, it's the act of eating that calms me whether it be veg, fruit or chocolate.

Tackling that is what I think will help me more in the future.

This is true for me too. I can eat a whole container of cottage cheese, for example. My main defense against it is not what I eat, but not snacking, so I'm less likely to habitually reach for food at a non meal hour, and working hard on other ways to deal with stress/anxiety/difficult emotions.