Training with heavy weights causes acne? (Female)

Options
Just trust me when I say that the creams I’ve been using are great, I have been to the best dermatologists, constantly getting informed.. Now, of course I do stress out, but it’s crazy to see for how badly it affects the skin on my face. The only question left is: is it because of gym? Heavy weights? Hormones? I’d like to read your opinions..

Replies

• emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have not noticed a change in my complexion, my acne is mostly hormone based. Possibly if you have sensitive skin you need to make sure to towel off frequently so sweat doesn't contribute?
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I'm prone to breakouts and lift heavy and have never noticed a pattern between the two. I do rinse my face with very warm water before I go to the gym and cleanse my face immediately after my workout, so that may have something to do with the lack of breakouts. It might be a different story if I went to the gym after work and had makeup left on my face when I worked out. But with my current routine, I don't notice any tie between my workouts and my breakouts.
  • ema_h9
    ema_h9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Do you touch your face often, like to wipe off sweat, while you're lifting? It's possible there is bacteria at the gym you aren't accustomed to, and if you are touching stuff with your hands and then touching your face, I guess that might cause a breakout? Maybe make it a point to have a clean towel with you that you only use to wipe your face, and make sure to wash your face afterwards for the time being at least.

If you are currently losing weight, it could be causing hormonal fluctuations that could cause acne as well.

These are just guesses and I am not a doctor :smile:

These were my guesses too. I've had hormonal fluctuations that are causing breakouts, but they are made worse if I touch my face a lot without realizing.
  • carbos101
    carbos101 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Some acne meds/creams/gels do cause the face to break out -- there's a term and it's called "purge." It does help acne, but many people experience a "purge" before the skin clears up. Just google the name of your medication to see if it's a variation of Retin A/Tretinoin, etc., and if so google for info under "purge." You can also discuss with your doc.

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    carbos101 wrote: »
    Some acne meds/creams/gels do cause the face to break out -- there's a term and it's called "purge." It does help acne, but many people experience a "purge" before the skin clears up. Just google the name of your medication to see if it's a variation of Retin A/Tretinoin, etc., and if so google for info under "purge." You can also discuss with your doc.

That's true, if she's started a new acne product, purging is pretty common.

Have you made any other changes to your skin routine, @ema_h9?
  • amelisegb
    amelisegb Posts: 58 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hi! As you've started to lift weights, have you been drinking or eating any types of protein products that might be whey-based? I struggle with acne too and I find that dairy products can make it worse. I switched over to a vegan protein shake and it helped me.

Edit: Also, make sure you wash your face (or even shower!) before you leave the gym.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I had that problem, and then I started showering more often. Seems to be helping.
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I also take 2 towels to the gym, one for equipment and one for my face. If I don't rinse my face at the end of the workout, I will break out. Also, at times when I have had longer sessions (2 hrs plus) the constant sweaty face makes me break out too 😥
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Stridex pads, seriously. I was breaking out (on my back) from weight lifting. I assume the sweat (Even though I always shower immediately). Just like a teenager again (even though I never broke out as a teen!). Stridex in the morning , at night and after I shower, has worked like a CHARM.
  • carbos101
    Options
    Stridex is good, however, caution is needed if one is using prescribed acne meds. Many times DERMS will recommend or prescribe (or recommend OTC) an additional cleanser/cream to be used along with the acne cream/gel. The OP needs to discuss with doctor re/any OTC skin care products. I agree -- Stridex is effective OTC for some - perhaps milder cases of acne.
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    carbos101 wrote: »
    Stridex is good, however, caution is needed if one is using prescribed acne meds. Many times DERMS will recommend or prescribe (or recommend OTC) an additional cleanser/cream to be used along with the acne cream/gel. The OP needs to discuss with doctor re/any OTC skin care products. I agree -- Stridex is effective OTC for some - perhaps milder cases of acne.

Very true. I'm a salicylic junkie. Use both stridex and have regular chemical peels with 15% salicylic. But my face looks fab!
  • carbos101
    Options
    Ibride - salicylic acid is supposed to be the greatest thing - salicylic chemical peels must be something -- how often is "regular?"
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I bring in baby wipes in my little gym bag I have with me while I work out and a clean towel and make sure I’m wiping down regularly on sweaty days. I’ve actually found my diet changes and increase in water intake have improved my skin
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I definitely noticed a correlation, but once I started paying attention, it seemed like it had more to do with putting my hands on dirty, much used free weights then wiping the sweat from my face with my now dirty hands. Using a towel to wipe away sweat and then washing my face immediately after my workouts made a huge difference.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I have been struggling with acne. I didn't realize a couple of things.

1) I touch my face a LOT, not just at the gym, in the car, while working, etc. I have allergies and I rub around my eyes because they itch, etc.

2) I had started waiting to shower when I got home half the trips to the gym or more. It's tight, timewise, to lift heavy, do some cardio, and shower and pick up the kids in 90 minutes (which is our gyms childcare limit).

I'm making an effort to touch my face less, and I bought some face wipes to keep in my gym bag for times I can't shower immediately.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    If I sweat with makeup on, I am prone to breakouts. You can also pick up all kinds of germs from the equipment. I remove my makeup with wet ones and then wipe down the bench I use with a Clorox wipes. Strength training could possibly also boost testosterone, maybe that's part of the break out cycle? IDK. But using wet ones and Clorox wipes has kept my breakouts to a minimum.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I worked out today, I was really conscious of how often I went to touch my face. I used paper towels to wipe my sweat and used a facial cleaning wipe immediately after (since we weren't showering at the gym). Well see if my efforts improve my skin over time.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I worked out today, I was really conscious of how often I went to touch my face. I used paper towels to wipe my sweat and used a facial cleaning wipe immediately after (since we weren't showering at the gym). Well see if my efforts improve my skin over time.
    I hope it works! I draw a small clean towel around my neck which helps with the face touching Bc I’m able to grab it to wipe!

It’s the worst to be doing so much work/feelings so good to have the breakouts come!