Keto

I want to start doing a keto diet, but I have no idea how to start and I’m also on a very strict budget. Like 30-50 dollars a week budget. Can anyone help me? Please?

Replies

• Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    I see so many people buying all sorts of special stuff for keto, and you don't need it. Keep it simple. For most meals, I eat veggies and a protein with some fat. A hamburger served on a bed of lettuce, chicken (with skin) served with grilled zucchini, etc. Look at the list of low carb veggies, and the recommended meats and go from there. Stick with what you like. Get snack foods (cheese sticks, cheese/pepperoni, veggies with dip, nuts, boiled eggs, etc) ready so they're convenient (pre-measure them into snack packs). Worry about getting things like almond/coconut flour and fancy baking things later (if ever, I still don't really use those).

For lunch, I'm currently eating a salad with Romaine, onions, pickles, tuna and mayo. Cheap and easy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Deanner03 wrote: »
    I see so many people buying all sorts of special stuff for keto, and you don't need it. Keep it simple. For most meals, I eat veggies and a protein with some fat. A hamburger served on a bed of lettuce, chicken (with skin) served with grilled zucchini, etc. Look at the list of low carb veggies, and the recommended meats and go from there. Stick with what you like. Get snack foods (cheese sticks, cheese/pepperoni, veggies with dip, nuts, boiled eggs, etc) ready so they're convenient (pre-measure them into snack packs).

Worry about getting things like almond/coconut flour and fancy baking things later (if ever, I still don't really use those).

For lunch, I'm currently eating a salad with Romaine, onions, pickles, tuna and mayo. Cheap and easy.

I'm not keto, but a friend of mine invited me to a keto group on FB, and I try out the recipes from time to time. Almond/coconut flour is for sure quote pricey so on a budget I would indeed stick to non baking things.

Berries are in season here so cheap now, and might be a good replacement. (I eat frozen berries off season. I've shopped around for the best price.)
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    skinnytaste.com has a lot of keto friendly and low carb meal ideas.
  • MamboRumba
    MamboRumba Posts: 423 Member
    Keto is one of the cheapest diets you can do. And, With REAL delicious food!

We spend a lot of money eating out and we cannot do this on ‘clean’ Keto.

We waste a lot of money on groceries we do not eat. Be mindful about this.
    Food shop as needed.

Also...there is not a lot of produce that will spoil....and, meat freezes.

Eggs last a long time in the fridge.

While you are supposed to eat the cleanest food (Organics) ......if your budget doesn’t allow then just buy conventional.

Meats
    Dark chicken meat (cheap)
    Organ meat (cheap)
    Any beef on sale
    Bacon
    Game (this is pricier)

Eggs (super cheap....and, you eat the yolk)

Sardines (I like Wild Planet....which are pricier, but I have bought Polar sardines in the glass jar and they were delicious and Cheap! $3)

Oils
    Olive & Coconut is good
    They like to recommend Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil which is expensive. $15 (You don’t need it)
    *Butter

Vegetables
    You won’t be eating many since the Carb limit is less than 15 grams.
    Broiled Zucchini is good! (Topped with Gorgonzola for extra zing)

Huge baby greens Salads. Find yourself a nice vinaigrette dressing you make yourself with olive oil.
    Balsamic vinaigrette is nice for simple baby green salads.

After you shed some pounds you can add cheese to make it more tasty.

Fruits
    Berries
    (You won’t be eating much fruit due to your low carb count)

Drinks are cheap, too....if you make your own.
    Tea
    Coffee
    Water

When you first start Keto stay away from Dairy, Cheese and Nuts. This way you start losing weight fast. While high fat.....these foods are also high calorie. These foods are more expensive, too.

I like to eat:
    grilled meats with sauces like (chimichurri, Pico de Gallo, garlic butter)

Omelets with spinach and Pico de Gallo

Sardines with Green Jalapeño Tabasco and lemon

Big tasty salads with delicious homemade vinaigrette

Nutrition powerhouse spinach will probably be your main veg. It is cheap. I eat raw organic baby spinach salads (bacon vinaigrette!) and sautéed with olive oil and lots of garlic.

Homemade meatballs & marinara sauce

Chili

Lettuce wraps

Eggs....all ways

Drink a lots of water. Keeps hunger away.

I actually have a hard time eating all my food. The high fat content really keeps you full and hunger free.

The ‘mental blocks’ are actually cravings....not hunger.

Give it a try!

Look at store circulars online to find the meats on sale. Stock up! You can do it!

If money is tight....send an email/text blast to fam & friends and see if they have ‘freezer meat’ they want to give you.
    We all have it!