High Glucose, Normal A1C?

Options
I recently had some bloodwork done and because of my BMI and rampant family history of DM, she checked my A1C. It came back at 5.5%, which is within normal range.

However, my glucose (fasting) came back at 115, which is higher than average and considered in the "pre-diabetic" range.

My doctor said it's nothing to worry about since my A1C was normal, but I can't help but be a little worried. Both of my parents and both sets of grandparents have Type 2 and one of my great-grandmothers supposedly had Type 1.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I got spooked a free years ago when I leaned that a coworker had the same BMI as me a and T2D. So I asked the doctor for some blood tests. When they came back, the way she explained then was to say that I can have iced cream whenever I want. I spend a lot of my free time exercising, my lunch hour on a bike, hiking on weekends, etc. Exercise improves your sensitivity to insulin.

Losing weight helps, too, you've already heard that one in this thread so I won't bore you with more detail.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    bjkoziara wrote: »
    I recently had some bloodwork done and because of my BMI and rampant family history of DM, she checked my A1C. It came back at 5.5%, which is within normal range.

However, my glucose (fasting) came back at 115, which is higher than average and considered in the "pre-diabetic" range.

My doctor said it's nothing to worry about since my A1C was normal, but I can't help but be a little worried. Both of my parents and both sets of grandparents have Type 2 and one of my great-grandmothers supposedly had Type 1.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Your fasting glucose is a snapshot of that particular moment...A1C is testing your average levels over the last two to three months...it is far more accurate than a snapshot taken at one particular moment...that is why your doctor isn't worried.

The same thing happens to me from time to time, but my A1C always comes in normal...it's actually pretty common and is one of the reasons doctors will send you for an A1C test after a regular blood glucose test if the glucose test comes in a bit high.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I was at a FBG of 103 and an A1C of 5.2 last year. After losing about 15% of my body weight, my FBG went down into the 70s and my A1C went down to 4.9. Half of my close relatives have DM and my father was prediabetic for decades before he died of Alzheimer's* so I am trying to get in front of this as aggressively as I can.

My GP has never been as worried about my own health as I am, and I am by no means a hypochondriac. I just think my GP has so many patients who already have diabetes that he has enough on his hands without worrying too much about me.

*Interesting article on the connection between T2D and Alz.: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/type-2-diabetes/in-depth/diabetes-and-alzheimers/art-20046987
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Aren’t you the one who hasn’t been able to eat regular lately because of a stomach issue? And you’ve been drinking ensure, or something similar? If I remember right and that’s true, I think you can’t really look at your glucose because the way you have eaten the last week or so isnt representative of how you eat at all.
    If I remember wrong, and it wasn’t you, Oops! Excuse me and disregard this post, please.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options
    Aren’t you the one who hasn’t been able to eat regular lately because of a stomach issue? And you’ve been drinking ensure, or something similar? If I remember right and that’s true, I think you can’t really look at your glucose because the way you have eaten the last week or so isnt representative of how you eat at all.
    If I remember wrong, and it wasn’t you, Oops! Excuse me and disregard this post, please.

Yup, and yup, and how did it go in terms of figuring out what's wrong? Are you able to eat more normally now?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Glucose test measures a single point in time, the moment you gave blood. A1C measures a 90 day average glucose, so that's why it's a better predictor of DM or other issues. The glucose is simpler so they do that first, and if concerned, they do the A1C. Some people just have higher random glucose readings, often in the morning, due to hormones, etc.

Because of your family history, you are right to be aware and concerned ( but not worried per se). Keeping a healthy weight and reasonable exercise will go a long way towards keeping your glucose at a healthy level.