Plant and whole food based eating

Options
dhalli0
dhalli0 Posts: 3 Member
Still eating plant based Whole Foods. Just too many calories. Coming back to my accountability with Fitness Pal. Any others here eat no meat or dairy?

Replies

• fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm trying but I find it hard to get adequate protein from plant based. Also, its hard to not include any cheese in dishes. Miss eggs too.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I went from SAD, to flexitarian, to vegan, and now am going 360 back the other way -- I started having stomach/intestinal issues with just plants that have quickly resolved now with a high fat and ultra low carb diet.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Plant-based here--no eggs or dairy.

My big challenge with calories is portion control. I love me a bowl of black beans with nooch over quinoa, but if I'm not careful, a 1/2 cup serving of beans inches closer to 3/4 of a cup; and 1/2 cup of quinoa becomes a cup.

I meal prep with my kitchen scale to ensure portion size, and make sure I have plenty of fresh veggies in the house at all times to satisfy my desire to feel full.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I started transitioning in March and am now 99% plant based.

I've been vegan in the past and really this woe is what works best for my body. I feel amazing, eat tons of food, and am losing weight with almost no effort. I've actually stopped weighing and logging food and just estimate calories towards the end of every day now (been doing that all of July and it's working well).

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I'm pescatarian, so don't fit your criteria. Just wanted to welcome you to the community!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for over a decade now. My diary is open if you want to poke around. You might also want to check out the Happy Herbivores group.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    My mom has elevated homocysteine levels, which can be managed with a restricted methionine diet, and the best way to do that is to eat plant-based. She's already been whole foods all my life.

In case anyone is interested, there's a great chart on this page: https://www.brendadavisrd.com/methionine-restricted-diet/
  • fowlerjulie3295
    fowlerjulie3295 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’ve been vegan for 4 years now and vegetarian for 30 years prior to that. My advice would be to increase your calories from protein. Have you used a TDEE calculator to work out your macros?
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’ve been vegan for 4 years now and vegetarian for 30 years prior to that. My advice would be to increase your calories from protein. Have you used a TDEE calculator to work out your macros?

I'm curious why you advised the OP to eat more protein when they haven't discussed their macro split?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

I'm curious why you advised the OP to eat more protein when they haven't discussed their macro split?

She was probably actually replying to this post:
    fdhunt1 wrote: »
    I'm trying but I find it hard to get adequate protein from plant based. Also, its hard to not include any cheese in dishes. Miss eggs too.
  • kroberts2039
    kroberts2039 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating meat about 4 months ago and promptly gained 14lbs 😭
    Struggling to get adequate protein and iron as I also avoid dairy due to poor tolerance.
    I eat eggs and my calcium comes from plant based whole foods and nut milk but struggling for adequate protein and iron every day.
    I find it so easy to go way over on calories and relying on carbs does nothing to help weight loss...
    Any ideas?
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I'm one of "those"...fat vegan... Been vegan for over 7 years, but definitely need to watch portions and cut out the processed convenience foods. Also dealing with BE, but I see a dietician and therapist regularly to try and get it under control. I've got about 50 pounds to lose.
  • bw329
    bw329 Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I was an unhealthy junk food vegetarian and then vegan. It can be easy to be unhealthy even though you're eating vegan foods. The problem is all of the junk food that's out there now. I started a whole food plant based vegan diet and have lost nearly 15 pounds in six weeks. However, I realized I needed to follow the plans described by Dr. Fuhrman, Dr. Esselstyn and Dr. MacDougall in order to lose weight. My main goal is optimal health (avoiding heart disease, cancer, etc.), but the secondary benefit is weight loss. I will never go back. Oh, and it's been easy to get enough protein by eating a variety of plant foods. I have proven that to myself by using MyFitnessPal.
  • mvibes13
    mvibes13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ive been vegan for nearly 12 years now. Ive recently started tracking calories and macros as I want to be serious about my fitness.

Id love to share recipies if anyones interested?