Calories of eggs

Options
patihoyt
patihoyt Posts: 1 Member
edited July 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I make plains scrambled eggs in the morning but the The scrambled eggs I found on the app is 365 calories? I don't think that's right, is it?

"Egg - Scrambled (whole egg)".. 365

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Is that how the entry appears? No weight, no size? No ingredients? Could be anything.

An average size egg is about 60 calories.multiply by however many eggs you are using
    Then add anything else you use to make scrambled eggs - milk, butter.

I would expect it works out to about 80 calories per egg, with the other ingredients added in.

More if you are adding cheese, bacon, whatever as well - but to me it is an omelette by then and not scrambled eggs.

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    An egg has 70 calories. For scrambled, I count the butter. Whole pat =45 calories.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    ‘An egg’ is a fairly variable thing. I actually don’t know whether eggs come in graded sizes anywhere else, but they do in the UK.
    A large egg, which is what I buy because it’s the most standardised one used in recipes etc will weigh pretty much spot on 2oz or 56g when the content of the shell is weighed. That comes in at 78-80 calories.

Obviously, small, medium or extra large will be different.

But either way, not wise to use an entry that is that vague on what that particular user puts in his or her scrambled eggs. Go the extra mile and weigh the milk/butter and any add ins and log them separately from the eggs.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Eggs are graded in the US as well. Even the vendors at the farmers markets here grade their eggs. Of course weighing the eggs is more accurate, but I have found large eggs to come in right around 70 calories. A good non stick pan, very little or no butter, is needed. I use a teaspoon for flavor.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Don't log meals like that. log ingredients you use. You can either create a recipe for your scrambled eggs, or crate a meal of the ingredients for easy repeat.

1 - log eggs. raw natural eggs. (based on calories on your eggs, or appropriate approximate). store bought eggs have bar codes often.
    2 - Weigh the milk/cream you put in (if any) and log that separately
    3 - weigh the oil you will use in the pan (select an entry for that ingredient you can probably scan the barcode)
    4 - ditto any other ingredient (ex: cheese, vegetable - weight seperately raw and then log those items seperately).

You have zero clue what was put in that random entry on MFP. cheese? oil? how many eggs? cream? milk? what %? vegetables? avoid using food entries like that. Even in a restaurant or eating out you'd be best to approximate by logging ingredients and guessing on portions (but don't guess at home! you have power there)
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I eat jumbo eggs because eggs are my favorite food and I'm willing to use up additional calories for them.

Jumbo eggs are 90 calories each.
    Extra large are 80.
    Large are 72.
    Medium are 63.
    Small are 54.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    An egg has 70 calories. For scrambled, I count the butter. Whole pat =45 calories.

What size egg?

What is the measurement of the pat of butter?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the "verified" green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was user entered.

The entry you want is "Egg, Whole, raw, fresh". However, it is no longer in the MFP database >.< I can still use it because it is still in my Recents.

However, I cannot use it when I use the Recipe Builder, so in that case I look up the number for the USDA database entry, 01123, and use that.

Ex: Usda 01123 - Eggs, Whole, Large

This has options for one standard large egg and also grams and ounces.

I started weighing my eggs when I was getting them from a farmstand and the eggs were visibly different sizes. I've gotten into the habit of weighing eggs now, and have noticed that supermarket egg weight can vary quite a bit as well.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

What size egg?

What is the measurement of the pat of butter?

A pat of butter is what you get in a restaurant. It is supposed to be 5g. We did a survey. We think it is closer to 6g on average. 1/2 tbsp is 7.2 grams. As for eggs, a large egg is 57 grams, supposedly. But, if you weigh the shells, then wash and dry them it is apparent that they contain 2-5 grams of egg white when cracked and deposited in an ordinary process by a housewife as opposed to a lab technician. Jumbo eggs are not often available here and when they are, the price is out of whack, so the 70 calorie egg is an average of a large egg and an extra large egg. It might be off by 5 calories one way or another.

For my part, I use 1/2 pf a pat, or 3g of butter. But, a lot of cooks claim for a pat for every egg. Not my preference.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    I don't use butter on my eggs at all. Interesting.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    One thing I found interesting is that egg grading in my country (Panama) is different than the US. Jumbo is about the same, but what we consider large you consider "extra Large" and what we consider medium you consider large. I always thought it weird when I moved here from the US, because in the US I never aw anything less than large in the supermarket, but medium was very common here. So I just assumed that we had smaller eggs here. Only recently did I realize that they were the same egg size.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I have a little nesting set of metal bowls that live on my scale. I crack the eggs into those to weigh them and use a gram entry, and add whatever other ingredients I use - there's no way to tell what that pre-logged dish of someone else contains.

If you're buying supermarket eggs there may not be much variance and may can learn over time that logging the "medium 70 cals" is fine. My eggs come from my own chickens and are all over the place, weight wise.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    My neighbor sometimes brings me fresh eggs from his chickens. What a difference!