Asparagus

Options
I am confused about Asparagus. Articles say it is healthy & good for you, it's even on the Alkaline list. BUT on the other hand articles say it can cause breast cancer to grow.
I recently started eating asparagus & got to liking it, but now after reading about the breast cancer issue with it, i'm not so sure i want to eat it now. Your thoughts?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    If you like asparagus, eat asparagus. Everything has the potential to kill you, in high enough quantities.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I had to stop paying attention to "research" about the pros and cons of individual foods. As @pinuplove was saying, there are small amounts of all sorts of scary sounding things in pretty much everything, and if someone in a lab isolates that compound and shoots ridiculous amounts of it into a mouse, they are going to develop some kind of health problem.

I doubt the increasing rates of certain cancers in the western world are due to the public's love of asparagus :smile: Like anything else, just don't eat nothing but asparagus.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Do you have breast cancer? If not, its irrelevant. Asparagus does not cause cancer. What it has is an enzyme that may possibly be linked to spreading existing cancer, although studies are inconclusive. That enzyme helps all cells to grow, which just happens to include cancer cells.

Don't fall for every stupid cancer scare. Literally everything impacts cancer in some way. Eat what you like.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Eat it. Enjoy it. Log it. <3
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Articles that tell you x vegetable/fruit is bad for you are usually bogus. If you like asparagus, eat it. You can have mine, too!