Back Exercises

Options
So my "core" is pretty weak and not to mention flabby. Are there exercises that people would recommend to strengthen this area? I never really feel any soreness in my abs or obliques, I mostly just get sore in my back. Do I need to do exercises to strengthen my back before I work on abs and obliques?

Replies

• Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Working your abs will strengthen your back. Sounds like you need to stretch after a workout. I find that cat stretches help with my back and abs being sore. There's alot of different stretches that will help.
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    Hi,

You should try and do abs and back to the same level, your back will help pull your abs in tighter and a defined back will always look good, if you do weights you could do bent over rows and use the seated row machine remember to try and get the feeling of your shoulder blades touching as you pull back, this will contract the muscle further and give you faster results. If you dont do weights try pull ups and you could try laying on your stomach, hands behind your head and lift your upper body off the floor this will work your lower back.

And last but not least you could also try a move in Yoga callad the plank, keep your body straight and rest on your forearms, this will work your abs and back at the same time, hold for as long as possible.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    do you have an android smart phone or iphone? if you do, there are two apps that I use almost every day. both ten min routines one for abs and one for healthy back. I have a bad back and have felt wonders in decrease in pain and strength and it is for beginners hope this helps
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    For Lower Back: Deadlifts
    For Upper Back: Dumbell/barbell rows + Pull up/chin ups (can be assisted)

There are more out there too, that I can't think of off the top of my head but those should be fine :)
    I personally would not work abs on the same day as lower back though, just because the soreness next day may be a bit much if it's both sides of your core.

Heidi
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    supermans. lie on your stomach with legs stretched out and arms stretched out in front of you. simultaneously lift your legs and your arms, holding for 30 seconds. release, do it again. try to hold as long as you can. do it 5 to ten times. each time you do it, try to hold it a bit longer and to raise your arms and legs a little higher
  • picturesing
    Options
    After I ruptured a disc in my lower back last October....I started doing Yoga (when the pain would let me). Start with a stretching Yoga and go slow!!! Planks are awesome....again start slow - if you can only hold for a few seconds....that's ok...just keep at it and try to hold a bit longer each time. Much luck you you!:flowerforyou:
  • Autumn15
    Autumn15 Posts: 213
    Options
    Hi,

You should try and do abs and back to the same level, your back will help pull your abs in tighter and a defined back will always look good, if you do weights you could do bent over rows and use the seated row machine remember to try and get the feeling of your shoulder blades touching as you pull back, this will contract the muscle further and give you faster results. If you dont do weights try pull ups and you could try laying on your stomach, hands behind your head and lift your upper body off the floor this will work your lower back.

And last but not least you could also try a move in Yoga callad the plank, keep your body straight and rest on your forearms, this will work your abs and back at the same time, hold for as long as possible.

Great information very helpful...Thanks for posting.
  • rae_mayer
    rae_mayer Posts: 226
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will definitely be trying some of these out! Mostly I've just done basic crunches and they just hurt my back rather than do anything for my abs. (I'm still pretty new to this if you couldn't tell!)
  • seftritt
    Options
    First of all, strengthening your "core" and getting rid of "flab" are two different things. Building muscle does not get rid of flab (muscle metabolizes fat to a very small extent), so if you want to get rid of the flab your need to do cardio. Working your abs will strengthen your back, if your back is weak and working your back will strengthen your abs if they are weak. One cannot work without the other, however you may need you make sure you are doing the exercises correctly to avoid hurting your back. Also, make sure your are doing the exercises correctly. The positioning of your pelvis may be wrong when your are doing your ab exercises. And always, ALWAYS, stretch after a workout. Good Luck!:smile:
  • 06MustangGT
    Options
    So my "core" is pretty weak and not to mention flabby. Are there exercises that people would recommend to strengthen this area? I never really feel any soreness in my abs or obliques, I mostly just get sore in my back. Do I need to do exercises to strengthen my back before I work on abs and obliques?

As far as back soreness goes it could honestly be your form when performing ab exercises as well. This is most common when people do sit ups and crunches on the floor or even on a mat. My suggestion would be maybe try to make sure your form is spot on (not saying it's not but it's possible) and also try doing different exercises like machine crunches, leg raises, sit ups on a decline bench, etc. All that aside you should also work your back and other muscles accordingly for an overall better physique anyway. Bodybuilding.com has great articles on every aspect of working out regardless of goals so don't be intimidated by the name because the site is tailored towards everyone regardless of age, sex, goals.

-Pete
  • akunce
    akunce Posts: 29
    Options
    I have had alot of back surgeries-8 to be exact-and physical therapy! There are many exercises that can help. Walking is the best. Others include back extensions, low row, reverse crunches, balance exercises. Just be careful with weights! Use them with proper technique so you don t hurt your back! And make sure you stretch before and after. If you belong to a gym, a trainer can give you more exercises. If not go on line and search under back injury exercises. Those are good to prevent injury as well as strengthening so you don t injure your back. Be careful and good luck!!!:smile:
  • RogerF765
    RogerF765 Posts: 113
    Options
    I have had a back surgery for a ruptured disc and have nerve damage as a result. I have found that 15-30 minutes of yoga a day has worked wonders. I have been able to almost completely stop using pain meds. I was taking 15+ Advil per day and that along with switching to a vegetarian diet has really made a huge difference. I use the apps on my Android that were mentioned earlier and think they are great.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    do you have an android smart phone or iphone? if you do, there are two apps that I use almost every day. both ten min routines one for abs and one for healthy back. I have a bad back and have felt wonders in decrease in pain and strength and it is for beginners hope this helps

Sorry is called Daily Yoga for Abs and Daily Yoga for Backs, was in a hurry for work I didnt proof read the message lol