What food do you enjoy that your body seems to hate?

Options

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Almost all raw vegetables. :'( I love raw vegetables but they seriously bloat me and I am prone to small bowel obstructions so my doctor banned them from my diet.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Broccoli. I can add just a bit of whatever sauce and eat cooked broccoli as a meal. My stomach doesn't like that so much..

Apples. They just give me horrible bloat and gas if I eat more than one a day. Pears as well, though they're not as bad.

Just an FYI all 3 of those foods are high in fructose. You may want to research other foods that are high in fructose to see if they also give you problems.

Broccoli also can be high in fructans.

Apples and pears are also high in sorbitol.
  • sonyaodonnell1971
    sonyaodonnell1971 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eggs benedict they make my gall stones play up so painful.
    Its the Benedict sauce maybe to much fat in it
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Ice cream. Large quantities of dairy in general. Lactose intolerant.

I can handle small doses of milk, dairy-based proteins, yogurt, cheese in normal serving sizes...

But ice cream....milkshakes....ooomph.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Oh and cinnamon rolls, no idea why. Cinnamon rolls send me straight to the bathroom.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Lately peanut butter, eating it makes me burp like never before, but I love it and will continue eating it...
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Quest bars :disappointed: I was so excited when I found them, right before they changed the recipe. New recipe is just the wrong combination of supplemental fiber + sugar alcohol for me. So much pain.

Me too! I used to eat at least 1 a day. Now Ihave twoleft in my cupboard and I want to eat them but don’t think it’s worth the discomfort I will have for the next 2 days.

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Any cruciferous vegetable. i just have to look at broccoli or cauliflower or brussel sprouts or whatever and BLOAT. Pity, I like them. I also tend to bloat if I eat eggplant too regularly - like more than once in a row.

Other than that, I also can't eat protein bars - any of them - because both the whey and the artificial sweetners = bloat. I don't particularly love them anyway though, so that's not a big deal for me.

If I eat lots of milk-based stuff regularly it also starts to play with my innards. A bit lactose intolerant. I like cheese and yoghurt and things though. I still eat them.

And deep fried foods, particularly if the oil is old and crusty - BLOAT.

oh - and I forgot one more thing - if I eat too much fat for too long, I get constipated.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I'm allergic to many raw vegetables and some raw fruits. My throat starts to constrict. It makes me sad cuz i love raw veggies and fruit
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Milk. I can eat yogurt, ice cream, and cheese but straight milk I'm sensitive to.

Same. Weird, right?

Also, now I just want a huge bag of popcorn. :D
  • reesegrace1
    reesegrace1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Twizzlers. Makes me constipated.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Ice cream.. but only from places like DQ.. store bought is fine, but if I have a Blizzard (which I love!) my stomach gets very upset with me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me soooo glad to have the digestive system of a true genetic peasant!

(Just in to brag and gloat, I guess. ;) ).

The only thing I can think of is that if I eat something with enough secret meat in in (lots of chicken broth in something strongly-flavored enough to cover the flavor, say), I'll get mild intestinal distress (that's usually how I figure out I ate it by accident). But that's just about the gut adaptation after 45 years of vegetarianism, nothing really profound; if I phased meat back in, I'm sure I'd be fine after a couple of weeks.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Milk. I can eat yogurt, ice cream, and cheese but straight milk I'm sensitive to.

Depending on the degree of lactose intolerance or sensitivity someone has, it's pretty common that they can eat other dairy products even if they can't have milk. This is because some dairy products are made using processes that either reduce their lactose content, or make them easier to digest. https://med.virginia.edu/ginutrition/wp-content/uploads/sites/199/2014/04/Lactose_Content_of_Common_Foods-11-2017.pdf
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Shellfish.
    I used to be able to eat them, then I started getting torrential diarrhoea after eating them, which over time progressed to tingling lips. Haven’t dared risk it since as don’t fancy full-blown anaphylaxis!
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    “I’m allergic to sushi. Every time I eat more than 80 sushi, I barf.” - Andy Dwyer
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    oatmeal, legumes, nuts, too many quest/one bars (fiber)...not worth the unpredictable amount of gas & bloating
    Of course quantity matters
  • WynterDreaming
    WynterDreaming Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Milk. :'( And over easy eggs. I LOVE eggs and I have no issues with scrambled, HB or omelets, but the runny yolk gets me every time. Sad.

This. In moderation, I can eat most of the others with only minor to no issues. Too much and ouch. But milk? Oh I want just a tiny bit? Bring on the pain.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    Complete Cookies (Lenny & Larry's)

It's that damn chicory root, I tell ya.

All that Inulin/FOS/Chicory Root they add to foods is just a bad idea IMO. It's a giant cookie... don't get cute with it.

I forgot about Lenny and Larry’s. I used to eat them all the time. Then it got to where I could just see one on a store shelf and start feeling bloated. I miss them.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    This thread is turning into a weird kind of very pleasant therapy for me lol. I made it out of frustration over rice and after reading everyone's replies I'm beginning to feel pretty grateful for everything I can eat with no issues.

Thanks people :)