Emotional eater

Options
I would like to find people who can support on this journey. I've always been a yoyo dieter and use food to deal with life. Well 10th August last year my life changed so dramatically my 25 year old son died suddenly this then sent me on a downward spiral I had a breakdown used food and alcohol to cope it wasn't till May this year whdn I split my work pants I realised how bad I had become so I weighed in and had gained over 2 stone that's when I changed everything and not looked back I've now lost 2st 2lb in 10weeks have more energy improved mood exercise daily as well as a manual job. The only thing that's worrying me is its coming up to the year since it happened and the old feelings are starting again Lou

Replies

• dicksonoconnor3544
    dicksonoconnor3544 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sorry sorry about your son dear. May his soul RIP though.
  • St4nt0n
    St4nt0n Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 34, all in my teens I never had a weight problem, then my father died when I was 23 suddenly of a heart attack (he was 54). Within 6months I gain 20kilos. Yes food became my coping drug! It’s been 11Years and guess who has been battling her weight this whole time. I’ve married, had two kids, in-law headaches, purchased a home, yes it’s been wonderful but also stressful- so I have been eating my way through the ups and downs. I’ll try and focus to drop weight but then my something like a fight with my husband or my son feeling unwell has me eating. I have a strong association with food making me feel better and coping. Only recently have I seen a dietitian, a counsellor, joined a gym & started logging my food to try and turn this around. Ironically today is my dads actual 11yr anniversary (27th July) and guess who was eating pizza and pasta last night?!
    So I take my hat off to you that you made a change so soon after. Your a inspiration. I am so sorry for your loss. I lost a parent and it felt like I couldn’t get through it - I don’t know if I could go on loosing one of my boys. I hope you find a way to use that pain to make you stronger.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss, and I’m glad you’re learning how to take care of yourself and thinking about what might interfere with that.

I am a firm believer in regular therapy for all—I can’t even imagine what losing a child must be like, so having dedicated weekly support is always good if you can afford it (or if your health insurance can).

I’m so glad you are asking for help and support. I’d strongly suggest asking friends and family to help support you on that day and ask them to be with you—which might help keep you positive and avoids food/drinks...get surrounded by people who love you all day! Maybe you could ask them to do a 5k walk with you in honor of your son? At the end of the walk you could gather and have a small memorial where you all talk about what you missed and loved about your wonderful son, making it a positive and loving environment?
  • Johnk942
    Johnk942 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am with others. I am very sorry for your loss. I too hope to be an encouragers.
  • renydog37
    renydog37 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would like to find people who can support on this journey. I've always been a yoyo dieter and use food to deal with life. Well 10th August last year my life changed so dramatically my 25 year old son died suddenly this then sent me on a downward spiral I had a breakdown used food and alcohol to cope it wasn't till May this year whdn I split my work pants I realised how bad I had become so I weighed in and had gained over 2 stone that's when I changed everything and not looked back I've now lost 2st 2lb in 10weeks have more energy improved mood exercise daily as well as a manual job. The only thing that's worrying me is its coming up to the year since it happened and the old feelings are starting again Lou