Low fat high protein foods

Options
We were eating hardly any protein when we first started this journey but in the process of increasing my protein to normal levels I've also increased my fat intake substantially.

Looking for main course and snacks that are low fat/high protein. Working on reducing my cholesterol which is currently 212.

Working on loosing the weight which will bring my BMI down and reducing my cholesterol.
All other numbers are within rage.

My long term goal is to get rid of 70 pounds. Down almost 10 so far. Its not about the weight though. I am at the stage of life where healthy = wealthy.

It's a work in progress. Appreciate your insights.

Thanks

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,659 Member
    Options
    No fat dairy products such as cottage cheese and yoghurt. Egg whites. Tofu. Turkey breast.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    No fat dairy products such as cottage cheese and yoghurt. Egg whites. Tofu. Turkey breast.

And chicken breast and many types of fish.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm follow a low-fat plant-based diet, and get most of my protein from beans & lentils (SO many varieties, SO many ways to fix them!!), chickpeas & hummus, and tofu.

I typically make a pot of beans or lentils at the beginning of the week divide it in half. One half I'll refrigerate and eat whole (e.g., on tacos, over quinoa, etc.). The other half I'll puree to a thick spread-type consistency and blend with spices (a current favorite is garlic powder and curry powder; another is siracha, cumin and nutritional yeast). That spread makes a great almost fat-free high protein alternative to mayo-based sandwich spread. Mixed with a little apple cider or basalmic vinegar, and it's a protein-bumped salad dressing. Or I thin it down with a bit of water or veggie stock and it's a hearty simmer sauce for steamed vegetables or pasta.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    That would be shrimp - the king of low fat, high protein foods. Chasing dietary cholesterol is a waste of time. Research the topic thoroughly and then get the meds if you need them.If you think you have a serious problem with arterial blockage, get a cardiac catheterization and find out for sure.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    I don't care for fatty meat aside of salmon if that counts. I love Greek yogurt, beans and lentils, chicken breast stir-fried or baked, and ground turkey in sweet potato chili. A good recipe for the latter is by Well Plated.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I lift weights and use whey and casein protein to supplement my protein intake. Most protein powders have zero fat nowadays and hardly any cholesterol. I mix it with almond milk, but you can also use water. Taste has really improved over the years.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I had grilled tuna for dinner tonight.

"Fish, tuna, yellowfin, fresh, cooked, dry heat, 4 ounces" was 147 calories, 1 g of fat, and 33 g of protein.

With a salad, 80 grams of cooked rice, and a little butter it came to 408 calories. I was so full, and stayed full for hours.
  • indianwin2001
    Options
    The jury is out on protein powders. No conclusive long term peer reviewed testing for side effects. If you are seriously deficient in protein, I guess you go with the powders, but why would you unless you are on a trek or in a space capsule. How hard is it to get 50-75g of protein from natural sources?

There IS a lot of data debunking the myth of protein hurting your kidneys. As a bodybuilder, I aim for 195 grams of protein a day, so that is hard without the shakes. If you are not lifting, than it doesn't matter as much, but protein builds muscle.
  • wilson10102018
    edited July 2019
    Options
    The jury is out on protein powders. No conclusive long term peer reviewed testing for side effects. If you are seriously deficient in protein, I guess you go with the powders, but why would you unless you are on a trek or in a space capsule. How hard is it to get 50-75g of protein from natural sources?

There IS a lot of data debunking the myth of protein hurting your kidneys. As a bodybuilder, I aim for 195 grams of protein a day, so that is hard without the shakes. If you are not lifting, than it doesn't matter as much, but protein builds muscle.

Yea, you're a good candidate for protein powder. Still, after 50 years or so who knows what it will bring for you. I'm old enough to recall when people thought corn syrup was a godsend.

But, by pushing protein powder to the civilian population (the typical member here omnivore female, pounds overweight, and normal activity level, you do a disservice since there are a lot of nutrients and chemistry that a well balanced diet gives that can't be found in a supplement bottle. And, they don't need it even if you do.

• indianwin2001
    Options
    Agreed. I have been taking it for a long time and get regular check ups and all is O.K. At 67 Y.O, I guess I won't worry about it. lol
  • dkjellgren
    dkjellgren Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm follow a low-fat plant-based diet, and get most of my protein from beans & lentils (SO many varieties, SO many ways to fix them!!), chickpeas & hummus, and tofu.

I typically make a pot of beans or lentils at the beginning of the week divide it in half. One half I'll refrigerate and eat whole (e.g., on tacos, over quinoa, etc.). The other half I'll puree to a thick spread-type consistency and blend with spices (a current favorite is garlic powder and curry powder; another is siracha, cumin and nutritional yeast). That spread makes a great almost fat-free high protein alternative to mayo-based sandwich spread. Mixed with a little apple cider or basalmic vinegar, and it's a protein-bumped salad dressing. Or I thin it down with a bit of water or veggie stock and it's a hearty simmer sauce for steamed vegetables or pasta.

These are great ideas! Thanks for sharing.
  • wilson10102018
    Options
    Agreed. I have been taking it for a long time and get regular check ups and all is O.K. At 67 Y.O, I guess I won't worry about it. lol

Yea, at our age all of these food alarms don't mean anything much.