Breathing when exersizing

Options
This is probably a really silly question but last night i really pushed myself on the treadmill and my little weight routine afterwards...on the treadmill i get to the point i feel like i cant breathe and am going to pass out..I know im unfit but i wander if is because of my breathing a little as well.I seem to remember arent you supposed to breathe a certain way when exersizing,i seem t o get totally focused on my breathing when i am working out because of the fact i feel like my chest is going to implode and i cant seem to get enough air into my lungs.
So my convoluted question is am i feeling like this because i am just unfit or because i am gasping for breath because i am doing something wrong?
It took a good 20 -30 mins last night for my head to stop spinning and for me to be able to walk about without feeling like i was going to topple over unless i had a hand on the wall because of how much i pushed myself.

Replies

• CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    This is such a great question!! Just this morning while on the treadmill, I had to really get a handle on my breathing. What keeps me focused is in through the nose, and out through the mouth. Being conscious of your breathing is really important. I'm interested to hear what works for other folks!
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    Ok, here is the thing, if you don't keep your breathing steady when you exercise YOU DON'T BURN CALORIES. instead, you burn BLOOD SUGAR. that's why you felt so dizzy when you stopped because your brain is losing the blood sugar. you have to keep your breathing steady when you work out (whether breathing through your nose or mouth) so that you can actually have a GOOD BURN :smile: make sure you can keep breathing when you work out. if you get to where you are just gasping for breath, you need to modify. you won't burn calories that way, so it's pointless.

hope that helps!!
  • Goddess111682
    Goddess111682 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    WHen I first start working out I feel the same, I just start out slow, and work up my endurance......My advise to you, is start out at a slower pace, and work your self up to faster and longer. Your lungs are problly not used to that much running...you can always ask your doctor....
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I would think it may be a little of both. Breath in through your nose and out through your mouth. And maybe cut back a little if your chest feels tight or if you don't feel right. You'll do more bad than good. Get in a little better shape before you push yourself that hard.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Ok, here is the thing, if you don't keep your breathing steady when you exercise YOU DON'T BURN CALORIES. instead, you burn BLOOD SUGAR. that's why you felt so dizzy when you stopped because your brain is losing the blood sugar. you have to keep your breathing steady when you work out (whether breathing through your nose or mouth) so that you can actually have a GOOD BURN :smile: make sure you can keep breathing when you work out. if you get to where you are just gasping for breath, you need to modify. you won't burn calories that way, so it's pointless.

hope that helps!!

:huh:
  • Willow_28
    Options
    I have felt that way before after pushing myself way too hard during a workout... I was always told that you need to train your cardiovascular system to be able to run/walk for long distances or at fast paces... Maybe start training your body for that kind of a workout... I was told to walk for a few minutes and then run for a minute, then walk for a few minutes again and keep repeating for your workout... then as time goes on and you become more fit increase the running time... But the one thing I have always been told is if you feel sick or like you are working out beyond your level, slow down as you could injure yourself... Well, I hope that helps answer your question some... Blessed Be...
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options

:huh:

Lol my exercise trainer at the gym told me this. she makes sure that I am ALWAYS breathing when I work out for this reason :smile:
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    not a silly question, there is a lot in the way you breath.

i have always been bad about holding my breath when doing something strenous or taking concentration. to the point where my belly dance teacher in class got into the habit of , when teaching would describe what to do, then looking at me add and breath.

what has help me allot is shaun t in insanity, he tells you in many of the exercise how to breath as in . "exhale when your knee is up" and such, and in other parts he will say lets go over to tonya (i dont like her, but she makes me oddly competative) and say like "see how she pushing it, she how her core is engage and how she is breathing " and what not.
    its actually help me breath better in other workouts as well.

another trick i learned from him is when tired take a deep breath in and exhale hard, it refreshes you
  • Choclat_Pearl
    Choclat_Pearl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    When you get the answer, let me know.

I always think, I am breathing wrong also. Some videos I work out to tell you when to exhale and inhale.

gasping for air doesn't feel great.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Google is your friend! :-)

When running, there is almost no circumstance when there's value in breathing through your nose.

When you need to breathe deeply, don't expand your chest and lift your ribcage. Learn to get more air by pushing out your diaphragm.

Insofar as how to breathe, look for "diaphragmatic breathing"

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+diaphragmatic+breathing?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Best way for me is just to breathe in deep through the mouth and exhale...repeat...just remember to take controlled and deep breaths.
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend breathing, it's even good for those times when yer not working out
  • shadowsz
    shadowsz Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for the relies :) I am only doing 20 mins on the treadmill and am only walking,last night though i pushed it and did really brisk walking and pushed the pace till i jogged for a minute then dropped back to brisk walking then slowed down a little more so i didnt feel so dizzy and could regain my breathing and then id repeat it.I think I only worked up to a jog 3 times..so i wasnt killing myself but i guess for me who has never run in my life it was a big thing.I am also wandering my centre of balance isnt so good so maybe thats affecting why I get so dizzy often on the treadmill,i cant even watch a ride that goes round and around or it makes me dizzy!
  • ATT949
    Options
    Ok, here is the thing, if you don't keep your breathing steady when you exercise YOU DON'T BURN CALORIES. instead, you burn BLOOD SUGAR.
    This does not pertain to any species on this planet.

Calories is a unit of measure of energy. If you can exercise without expending energy then you've discovered perpetual motion.
    that's why you felt so dizzy when you stopped because your brain is losing the blood sugar.
    Oy.

I might suggest that you do some reading on nutrition and biology. There's lots of free info on the Web and some of it is actually accurate.
  • ATT949
    Options
    Have you been to see a doctor?

Dizziness that you describe could be a neurological issue (balance = inner ear perhaps) or it could be caused by a lack of oxygen to the brain. Remember, women have heart attacks, even women as young as you.

Yes, it's annoying to have to take the time to see a doctor but it's a lot better than a trip to the ER or, even worse, a stroke that leaves you crippled.

Get.checked.out.

:-)
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    What was your Heart Rate at? Did you have enough to eat that day? Did you drink enough water before hand?

Edited to add: I breathe in for 4 steps and breathe out for 4 steps. Then 3 in 3 out. Then 2 in 2 out. If I get to 1 in 1 out, I better be just about done, or I'm pushing way too hard.
  • shadowsz
    shadowsz Posts: 19
    Options
    I have CFS and have had for over 10 years so feeling like i cant breathe is part and parcel of that when i am pushing myself above a normal pace.Im just trying to work out whats that and whats unfit and whats breathing..its all a steep learning curve at he moment :) I hope to get a heart monitor next week on thursday.Im drinking during the exersize and trying to increase my water intake during the day as im not a big water fan am currently on 1200 calories a day. I just did 20 mins at a slightly slower pace than last night really watching my breathing and arent so dizzy so maybe ill just work a little longer to get to that walk / jog pace or maybe i can achieve the same calorie loss with just brisk walking..i admit i hate the time on the treadmill..i am buying a weight set next week so hope to spend more time on that than walking on the treadmill.Thanks again :)
  • delmeg10
    delmeg10 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have started doing yoga in the evenings, just for this reason. So that I can learn to focus on my breathing while working out. I tend to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth when I'm doing workouts like Tae-Bo or 30 Day Shred. And I tend to breathe in through my nose and out through my nose when I'm doing yoga or pilates. I really concentrate on my breathing during any workout though, and practicing yoga at night has definitely helped me in this area. Besides, when I concentrate more on my breathing, the reps seem to go by faster.
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options
    I highly recommend breathing, it's even good for those times when yer not working out

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: