Fruit and Vegetable

Options
Do you count calories in your fruit and vegetables ? So many conflicting results it is confusing.

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,595 Member
    Options
    In general? Yes for calorie counting and no for weight watchers.
    Personally? I eat very few fruits and vegetables but yes on the fruits and sometimes on the vegetables. I don't log lettuce.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Yes. I count calories in fruit and vegetables. I’m curious why you might think it would work if you don’t? If I’m logging and counting calories, fruit and vegetables definitely have calories, and just because an apple has less calories than a doughnut for example does not change that fact!

Some fruits and some vegetables add significant calories to your day.

Where are you seeing conflicting results?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. For me, a typical day includes literally hundreds of calories of veggies & fruits. It can be as much as 25% or more of my calorie allowance!

Also, I'm a data geek. I think that detailed data is useful. For example, if you start out on X calorie level, and find out that you're losing too fast or too slowly: How do you know how much to adjust? If you have accurate calorie counts, it's trivially easy. If you don't, it's guessing. Same thing when you're done losing, and need to know how much to eat to maintain weight.

Different people make different choices, and I'm not saying my way is "the one best way" for everyone. But that's what works for me, and why.
  • Disneyfan05
    Disneyfan05 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I see various results in the data base on many food items is why I am asking. Also coming off of WW with their zero point food free style system. I am tracking the fruit and vegetables, I just wanted to see what everyone else here does. Thank you for the responses. Trying to learn how this site works.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    Options
    The database is indeed a minefield of suspect entries! However, once you’ve been at it a little while you’ll find your way. Look for entries that are either in grams or will allow you to change the serving size to grams and avoid the cup/piece/slice/small/medium/large/etc etc like the plague!
  • Disneyfan05
    Options
    Yes Barbara it is a minefield. I just looked up pico de gallo and now I am lost haha. 5 calories on up. I'll learn one way or the other
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I agree that you have to log everything for accuracy. But you also need to get in the habit. If you don’t log fruits and vegetables today, will it be individual candies and a handful of nuts tomorrow, and maybe a small piece of pie next week? Don’t even think about it. Log everything!
  • Disneyfan05
    Options
    I am really frustrated with pico de gallo listings. Should I just do each individual item....tomato, onion, jalapeno, garlic powder and salt or just pick the one that says homemade and call it a day on it.
  • Disneyfan05
    Options
    I agree that you have to log everything for accuracy. But you also need to get in the habit. If you don’t log fruits and vegetables today, will it be individual candies and a handful of nuts tomorrow, and maybe a small piece of pie next week? Don’t even think about it. Log everything!

I am logging everything. That is why I am now stuck on my pico de gallo tracking.

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Do you count calories in your fruit and vegetables ? So many conflicting results it is confusing.

I count calories in everything I eat. Otherwise, you won't know if you're in a calorie deficit.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    Options
    I am really frustrated with pico de gallo listings. Should I just do each individual item....tomato, onion, jalapeno, garlic powder and salt or just pick the one that says homemade and call it a day on it.

Absolutely 100% if you’re making it yourself add the ingredients and the gram weight of each.

If it’s something you’ll make regularly, use the ‘recipe’ tab to make it simpler to count per portion and to be able to add it quickly and accurately in the future.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options

I would google and see what the consensus is. Then choose the nearest entry on MFP.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    If what you do works for you then continue doing it. If it stops working then try a different approach. For me, I have always logged my fruit and vegetables, weighing as I add each to my salad or whatever, but when I eat 10 or so serves a day those calories really stack up.
  • mum0f2boys
    mum0f2boys Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Yes I count everything
  • darshemail
    darshemail Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian, half my food intake is fruits and vegetables yes I log everything. It makes a difference.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I count all calories, otherwise what would be the point of weighing and measuring food/ drink consumption accurately? It all adds up and no matter what weight loss plan you follow it’s always about eating less calories than your body burns.