Any Handmaid's Tale fans out there?!

lauragreenbaum
lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
Warning- spoilers ahead. If you are not caught up, you may want to stop reading.

Season 3 episode 6
WOW! Ok I was horrified by the mouth rings on the handmaids in DC, but also confused- how do they eat? Don't they want their handmaids healthy and ready to make babies?
Nick- what is up with him?? Is he a good guy or bad guy- was he only good with June? He doesn't seem to care about his baby, that's for sure
Fred- this is yummy! Looks like the DC high commander has the hots for him. I can't wait for him to make a move- maybe then Fred will know what it feels like

Comments??

Replies

• lauragreenbaum
    Come on, no one?? I literally screamed last night watching it
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    They were aiming for shock value with the mouth rings, but as you mentioned, it doesnt fit the story very well.

The highlight of the episode was the unsettling imagery in DC.

• mellylq
    mellylq Posts: 50 Member
    Yeah - those mouth rings are probably the most off-putting thing I’ve seen so far. I was surprised by Aunt Lydia’s response when June asked her about her thoughts.
    My husband didn’t even notice the high commander making moves on Fred.
  • lauragreenbaum
    mellylq wrote: »
    Yeah - those mouth rings are probably the most off-putting thing I’ve seen so far. I was surprised by Aunt Lydia’s response when June asked her about her thoughts.

You know it's funny but I've read some reviews of the show and some of them didn't mention the gay thing with Fred at all, and others really focused on it. I think he did put the moves on Fred and he's going to do it again, which I can't wait for!
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member

You know it's funny but I've read some reviews of the show and some of them didn't mention the gay thing with Fred at all, and others really focused on it. I think he did put the moves on Fred and he's going to do it again, which I can't wait for!

I mean, it's Chris Meloni. He could do worse! 😍
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    edited June 2019
    Also, the gathering of all the handmaids at the Lincoln memorial
    kind of reminded me of an army. Too bad they couldn't rise up in rebellion like that.
  • Morningstar25
    Morningstar25 Posts: 50 Member
    June is so frustrating. She could of escaped three times! I love Emily...and Aunt Lydia...
  • lauragreenbaum
    It's a political show. I'm not interested.

I think it's become that for some people, but I read the novel it was based on back in the 1980's, so for me it's an extension of Margret Atwood's work. I think it's about male domination over women.
  • Five0Six
    Five0Six Posts: 112 Member

I think it's become that for some people, but I read the novel it was based on back in the 1980's, so for me it's an extension of Margret Atwood's work. I think it's about male domination over women.

It's absolutely an extension of Atwood's work and very much about male domination over women (both personal and systematic, of men and women in the ruling/subjugated class). Your thoughts on the show are correct.

• your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member

I read the book. It was powerful. And political. It was a criticism of patriarchy in religion and politics. It was about the blending of religion and politics. It was about reactionary politics and how quickly things can change even in a “civilized” society. It is a warning that progress isn’t always forward.
  • evanlde2018
    evanlde2018 Posts: 5 Member

Oh my god. So is Fred gay or the high commander gay?? Either way, I like this show even more
  • lauragreenbaum
    We think the high commander is secretly gay and is putting the moves on Fred- who we don't think is gay. But now he'll know what it's like to be preyed upon
  • rednote49
    rednote49 Posts: 124 Member
    June annoys me because she keeps getting people killed and there is a level of selfishness there that she accuses Serena of having that he equally has in spades. Although I liked all the muffins from the Marthas.
  • lauragreenbaum
    rednote49 wrote: »
    June annoys me because she keeps getting people killed and there is a level of selfishness there that she accuses Serena of having that he equally has in spades. Although I liked all the muffins from the Marthas.

Agreed- also, why does she get away with so much stuff that other handmaids would be hung for?
  • SW9daydreamer
    SW9daydreamer Posts: 4 Member
    What’s crazy is that when I read the book 20 years ago it felt like such an alien world! A world that I couldn’t imagine being part of my reality....cut to 2019 and it feels more of a possibility than ever! I love the show!! Gives me all the feels all at once. Aunt Lydia is a confusing little psychopath isn’t she 🤣
  • lauragreenbaum
    I read the novel 20 years ago as well and thought it was crazy- interesting how prophetic it was.
  • SW9daydreamer
    SW9daydreamer Posts: 4 Member
    Definitely! Same like with 1984 - why people have used these novels as how to books instead of the warnings that they so clearly are is bonkers