• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Apart from the volume of beans, I don't think I'm far off tbh
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Can you imagine eating this much?!

It doesn't actually sound like very much food. Certainly not from a calorie standpoint. I probably eat more food volume than that daily. The issue isn't that it's "too much", it's that I don't think I would enjoy it very much and it doesn't include much protein.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options
    yeah, I eat all that daily except the beans. Beans maybe three times per week.

That "Eat to Live" book... that the old "food combinations" theory?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I don’t know, what if? But I still won’t give up meat.
  • thegreatcoyote
    thegreatcoyote Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Apart from the volume of beans, I don't think I'm far off tbh

That's Awesome
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I hope this person is not advocating that people eat *only* those foods. That probably wouldn't meet anyone's minimum calorie intake, or their protein or fat needs.
  • marialba67
    marialba67 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This diet advocates for fresh fruit and vegetables in unlimited quantities daily, with some things like beans and nuts and some starchy veg and cereals more restricted.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I hope this person is not advocating that people eat *only* those foods. That probably wouldn't meet anyone's minimum calorie intake, or their protein or fat needs.

Oh my, no. I just like big plates of food and leafy greens and salads are great to fill up on. I put a lot of stir fried or baked veg with my main protein, I'll eat some nuts with breakfast or after dinner with some crackers, cheese, fruit maybe. A good amount of salad with my other main meal and there we are.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,515 Member
    Options
    I eat way more than that.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Can you imagine eating this much?!

It doesn't actually sound like very much food. Certainly not from a calorie standpoint. I probably eat more food volume than that daily. The issue isn't that it's "too much", it's that I don't think I would enjoy it very much and it doesn't include much protein.

I agree, it's a fair amount of fruit and veg's, no more than what we're supposed to eat in a day, imy only thought is that it is very low in the protein dept. maybe you'd get enough from the beans and the nuts, but I'm thinking you'd be short...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty close to that a lot of the time (usually less of the leafy greens, more of other veggies), and on many days that would include the cup of beans (or other legumes) and ounce of nuts/seeds.

I'm vegetarian, have been for decades.

And no, that's probably not enough protein. Not even close, if it means cooked beans (a cup of uncooked dry beans is a lot of beans), and if the other foods (nuts, seeds, veggies, mushrooms) aren't chosen hyper-carefully and with conscious portion sizing to maximize protein. And even then, it won't likely be amino-acid complete.

But there's zero context around that clip from the book. My best guess is that it's meant to be a thought-experiment about what would happen if Americans actually ate "enough" veggies and fruit and healthy fats (nuts, seeds). The conservative mainstream nutrition experts mostly seem to want us to get 5 servings of veggies/fruit daily, minimum. Those out on the leading (or just more radical) edge of the mainstream are inclining to say 10 servings, minimum.

So, this (the book) is suggesting a lot, but not a crazy lot more than some of the mainstreamers. (Many Americans eat way, way too few veggies and fruits, compared to what sound research suggests is best for us.)

I'd be quite startled if the context meant us to interpret this as "Eat all of these things, and only these things, for best health and nutrition". And I'm not a Fuhrman fan, not even a little. Reading up on the "Nutritarian" diet, it sounds like lots of these foods are in a 6-week induction phase of his more extreme eating plan, but with a lot more structure around it than the bullet points shown. It's unclear to me where adequate protein would come from during that phase, but 6 weeks at lower protein (not zero) probably wouldn't result in severe malnutrition or major muscle loss.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

But there's zero context around that clip from the book. My best guess is that it's meant to be a thought-experiment about what would happen if Americans actually ate "enough" veggies and fruit and healthy fats (nuts, seeds).

This is how I took it, as well.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I use the same guy's Daily Dozen app; I like it because it encourages you to fill your diet with fruits, veggies, legumes, and whole grains. And for vegans and vegetarians, combining legumes and whole grains together forms a complete protein via complementary amino acids.
  • thegreatcoyote
    thegreatcoyote Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    ValeriePlz wrote: »
    I use the same guy's Daily Dozen app; I like it because it encourages you to fill your diet with fruits, veggies, legumes, and whole grains. And for vegans and vegetarians, combining legumes and whole grains together forms a complete protein via complementary amino acids.

This is so awesome! I didn't know this existed!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Posting inline to make it easier.

pfc8tmf1uv73.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if my mom ate that (and more) every day.

I'm not too far off myself this time of year. I blend the greens rather than steaming them, and don't get nuts and beans every day, but most of the rest are staples for me.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    What is the second course?

I eat that way often aside from the fruit which I should still eat more of. I could not eat that way everyday though because those calories would crowd out the calories I need for pizza on pizza day.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    not at all uncommon for me to eat that much or those things.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

pfc8tmf1uv73.jpg

I'm not too far off myself this time of year. I blend the greens rather than steaming them, and don't get nuts and beans every day, but most of the rest are staples for me.

This doesn't strike me as a lot of food? even for one meal.

I eat a TON of vegetables (more than they list) and at least two "servings" of fruit daily. about half an once of almonds. Not the beans though, nor mushrooms/onions. But yes tomoatoes most days, some days pepper. I eat a variety of veggies. and herbs.

And - lots of OTHER food like oatmeal, proteins, chocolate, yogurt, eggs...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

pfc8tmf1uv73.jpg

Yes, me too.

It doesn't really seem like that much food to me either.