Offtopic: Why am I always so tired?

Options
2»

Replies

• MamaSunflowers
    MamaSunflowers Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Following all the people saying to get B12 tested. I had something similar 7 months ago. Incredibly tired all the time, no energy, but also loss of memory and feelings of depression.
    I am also vegan and for years have taken a multivitamin daily which contains B12 and so i thought it couldn't be the culprit. I got my blood tests done and I was hugely deficient in B12. Now I take an additional dedicated B supplement and the change has been enormous in every respect! I never thought one simple extra supplement could have such an effect.
    Good luck! I hope you find your cause and can fix it easily!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Stop being vegan! It’s just a hype. I mean if you were thriving on a plant based diet then I would go for it but clearly you’re not. It’s not for everyone. I’ve seen so many people quit plant based and go back to meats, eggs and their energy is back! Definitely get your blood tests done without taking any supplements so they don’t interfere with your results.

I would call people doing it "for the hype" plant-based, not vegan. Veganism is an ethical position concerning not exploiting animals.

https://www.vegansociety.com/go-vegan/definition-veganism

People in very recent history, if not currently, have used the term "vegan" to only mean diet. Language being in a constant state of flux, English not having a language academy (not that that would really matter), etc. That said, this is very off topic.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I'm 25 years old, I'm a male. I workout every weekday for 20-30 min before work and I drink from 2L-3L of water per day. I'm a non-smoker (I was, in the past) and I have a pretty vegan healthy diet consisted mainly of peas, grains, fruits, vegetables and nuts. Nutrition-wise I can hit all my macros and I have 1 Vitamin tablet per day and 3 instant coffees per day as well.

Still, I have no idea why I have so much trouble getting out of bed in the morning and my legs always feel like resting. I have a desk job (which is why I exercise every workday before work + 30 min walk to the office) and during the weekend I like to travel with my girlfriend. But truth be told I get tired very easily while traveling with her, I always feel like I get sleepy all the time and I just want to go back to bed.

I don't know if this is mainly a stress issue (since we're about to change jobs and countries in one month) or if I have something else. I haven't been diagnosed with any illness in the past apart from epilepsy which I don't think has much to do with it but truth be told, there are some objectives in my life that I want to fullfil and yet this constant feeling of tiredness is holding me back.

Should I seek a doctor?

Thank you.

EPILEPSY probably has everything to do with it.

Do you have night seizures?

Other kinds of seizures?

Is your medication controlling the seizures?

When was the last time you had your medication checked?

And yes of course you need to see a Dr ... especially since you have epilepsy ... and especially since you are about to move to another country. At the very least you need to find out if you can get your medication in the new country.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Since your vegan, do you supplement with vitamin b12 or consume fortified foods with it? Also, how do your calories and protein levels look like?

You might try to add B12 fortified nutritional yeast to your meals, if you’re not already using it. It can be used in cooking for a great umami cheesey flavour (sauces, gratin tops, homemade vegan cheese, for example) or just sprinkled on your meals where the flavour profile is savoury. Never tried it on fruit and yoghurt and probably not about to! 😉

It’s available both with and without the B12 fortification so make sure you get the right one. It’s such a common deficiency in a vegan diet which is why it’s made with B12 added.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'll just add on the deficiency side of things, I note you've mentioned you're getting Protein & Supplementing some vitamins, are you meeting your fat requirements? Some vitamins including Vitamin D rely on fat intake for absorption. Just a thought as I didn't see this mentioned yet.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    https://www.epilepsy.org.au/about-epilepsy/living-with-epilepsy/

"Get Enough Sleep
    Lack of sleep is a common trigger for seizures for many people with epilepsy. The amount of sleep a person needs will differ, but it is recommended that people with epilepsy stick to a regular bedtime and try to get a full night’s sleep (7–8 hours) as often as possible.

People with epilepsy should not need an excessive amount of sleep. Constant tiredness and sleepiness may be a sign that medications may need adjusting. If you suffer from sleeplessness, excessive daytime sleepiness or overtiredness, discuss this with your doctor."

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/articles/epilepsy-and-sleep

"For people with epilepsy, sleep problems are a double-edged sword; epilepsy disturbs sleep and sleep deprivation aggravates epilepsy. The drugs used to treat epilepsy may also disturb sleep. Because lack of sleep is a trigger for seizures, achieving healthy sleep on a nightly basis is essential for people with epilepsy."

And more.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    how is your iron in the blood? Vegans can be pretty low on it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    You mention that you take B12 oral supplements.

however if your levels are low you probably need a course of B12 injections (probably only available on prescription - that is the case here anyway) to kick start it up to normal level - then oral may maintain it.

This is very common amongst vegetarians/vegans - sometimes meat eaters too, but vegans/vegetarians are at more risk.

But of course you need to see a Dr and get tested first - for deficiencies like this, thyroid function level etc
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Same here, although I am not vegan. I had my blood drawn, had a sleep study, etc and everything came back fine. Viatimin D helped a little, B12 viatimins didn't help me at all. I believe that in my life when I am having exhaustion issues it's due to stress or not being able to turn off my thoughts at night (overthinking) - melatonin doesn't help. I do find that meditation or sitting quietly, alone for a little bit everyday helps clear my mind. However, my first suggestion would be to speak to a doctor. Good luck :smiley:
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The first thing I would ask is if sleep disturbances or tiredness are side effects of any epilepsy medication you may be on. Given your medical history it may be worth going into a sleep clinic - I once dated a guy with petit mal seizures and he found he was having them several times at night without knowing it, leading to disturbed sleep.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Definitely get some blood work. Even with supplementation, you can be deficient

Yep bloodwork. I went to donate blood and iron level was low. Went to doctor, started supplementing and felt much better.

Please note, don't supplement iron without doctor's directions
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Too much of some vitamins and minerals can be more dangerous than too little. Don't just guess, or take advice from strangers online. Even though the chance of it being the symptom of something more serious is small, it's really not worth ignoring. See your doctor, get your bloods done. We're not qualified to diagnose you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Definitely get some blood work. Even with supplementation, you can be deficient

Yep bloodwork. I went to donate blood and iron level was low. Went to doctor, started supplementing and felt much better.

Please note, don't supplement iron without doctor's directions

Yes, I'm anemic and have crippling fatigue when it is not treated properly. But too much iron is problematic as well, so I always recommend getting blood work first.

And if one is going to get blood work, never start supplementing first as that will skew results.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Do you get enough iron? I have to supplement my iron as a strict vegetarian. When I'm feeling lethargic, that's usually the culprit.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Also before you start taking xyz supplements, do check that they don't interact with the medication(s) that you're already taking and make sure to let your doctors know that you're taking them.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Allergies and immune globulin levels could also be factors in fatigue. Ask. About seeing an allergist/immunologist.
  • theatric_musician
    theatric_musician Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Is there any chance you are iron deficient? I was having issues for a while getting up, staying awake, running out of energy, etc and found out that I’m iron deficient. Also vitamin D can do the same thing. Ensure that you eat enough red meat and if you don’t supplement with spinach and other veggies.
    You mentioned you had epilepsy, is this maybe a side effect of the medication? I use to take these sleeping pills that had me sleeping all day because I was just so tired.
    Also (not to be rude), but do you like your job? If you don’t you may be subconsciously avoiding work.
    Good luck with the move!