Congestive Heart Failure

Options
2»

Replies

• vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've been off salt since April, dr orders, and would not go back. I have adjusted and actually like my food as it is now. Read all ingredient labels before you buy, if it has sodium, put it back.

I have a variety of Ms. Dash, grow herbs and am starting to make my own things like refried beans, tortillas and Pico de Gallo to avoid salt and they are easy! Plus I play with it in adding spices to make it more to my liking. I have found that more spice is better, fresh as well.

Meat was challenging at first, but I have adjusted my tastebuds and use lots of seasonings.

I eat lots of fresh produce daily and use virgin olive oil and vinegar for salad dressing. I had to get used to that too.

Best of luck, it is a life change but doable and I feel better than I have in years.
  • VictorSmashes
    VictorSmashes Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I’m sorry about your diagnosis, I hope things get better for you.
    I have a little peripheral edema so I watch my sodium as well, and I agree with a lot of people you can get a lot of flavor from other spices. I mainly stick to the Spice Hunter salt-free Cajun Creole seasoning blend. Personally that’s just my favorite spice blend, I’m sure there’s others from this brand and other companies. I also agree garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, black pepper, mustard, all of these add flavor. there are also low-sodium sauces that you could try, although I personally don’t use a lot of sauces so I can’t think of any.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    You really do adjust.

I used to do a very common autistic thing, which is layer on the salt or sugar so that it's all I could taste. And I mean a literal crust, eat that layer, add a new crust.

When I had kids I stopped having salt in the house, and sugar was strictly rationed. I even used to buy the potato chips with the sachet of salt, and throw the sachet out. It's a major shock to the taste buds! But now I barely notice.

What the others have suggested does help. Lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, spices, etc. But over time you're also going to start noticing flavours you never realised were even there, especially in fruit and vegetables. It creeps up on you, but you'll enjoy saltless food just as much eventually.

Good luck!
  • rvfamilyfour
    rvfamilyfour Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So sorry to to hear you had to go through surgery. Great news that you are on your way to a healthier lifestyle. I have high blood pressure so had to lower the sodium intake as well. I buy everything low/ no sodium at the store. I grow and can a lot of my own veggies. I also use nutritional yeast. Mrs. Dash, and I really love fresh herbs which I grow in my kitchen window sill. I have noticed I have added more spicy herbs to make up for the lack of salt. It took awhile to find the right balance and now I don't hear my husband or kids complain as much that the food is bland.
    Don't worry you got this and soon it will be just part of your daily life and not seen as a "diet" or "restrictive".