Meal breakdown

Hi

Anybody any advice on how 5 meals should be broken down in terms of overall calories. E.G if eating 1000 calories (example) is it best to have 5*200 or 3 larger and 2 smaller mid am and pm snacks?

Thanks

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I'm hopeful that the 1000 truly was just an example for easy math.

The breakdown would be whatever works for you. I sometimes use half of my daily allotment of calories for breakfast as that's my favorite meal.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    It depends how you like to eat. I get 1500 calories a day, and tend to save between 700 and 1000 for dinner, then split up the remaining 500 between breakfast and lunch because I feel better if I eat a big evening meal. But that's just me.

How do you like to eat?
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    A lot of it will depend on how you like to eat, what your schedule is, and what keeps you full. I have around 2,000 calories a day. So, I have 500-600 for breakfast before going into work, eat a mid-morning snack of 100 calories, eat 600 for lunch, have a 50-100 calorie snack to tide me over until dinner, and then eat 650-700 for dinner. Weekends typically don't include snacks, but have larger breakfasts, similar lunches, and smaller dinners.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    There are as many ways to divide up the calories as their are dieters. There is no "right" way; there is only the way that enables a particular person to hit his or her calorie target without getting diet fatigue.

I get 1600 a day and divide it thusly: 500-600 for brunch at 11 am, 200 for snacks between brunch and dinner, 700-800 for dinner at 7 pm, and 100 for chocolate after dinner. Of course it varies a little from day to day. The first thing I log in the morning is my chocolate, to make sure those calories are still there by the time I get to them after dinner.

My eating window is only 8 hrs - 11 am to 7 pm - i.e. intermittent fasting. I primarily do IF because it allows me to have 2 full, satisfying meals every day and still hit my number. I am willing to suck it up and have zero calories outside the eating window so that once I'm in the eating window, I can really eat. I find that having a solid 700-800 calorie dinner keeps the diet fatigue at bay.

• Jasonlemorellec
    Jasonlemorellec Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks all, I guess most import step is to properly track.

That's where I'll start and monitor my progress and energy levels.

• Jasonlemorellec
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I'm hopeful that the 1000 truly was just an example for easy math.

The breakdown would be whatever works for you. I sometimes use half of my daily allotment of calories for breakfast as that's my favorite meal.

Yes, was just for maths, starting around 1500 with view to move up to 1700-1900 calories depending on progress and training
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    I have a if breakfast of about 600kcal the graze for the rest of the day
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited July 2019
    1500 is pretty low for a man, ya dont wanna lose too much muscle. is it proposed by mfp?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2019
    1500 is the minimum a very sedentary male (and short) should eat to get the minimum nutrition. it may very well be much too low a goal to start with.

as others mentioned, how much per meal and how many meals is completely personal. we all have different things that work for us from lots of small meals to one meal a day.
  • Jasonlemorellec
    Thanks all, after a fairly sedentary life style, the 1500 is pretty much just to kick start the process, will upto 1800 next week.

Biggest struggle I have is filling those calories with good calories :)

I'm thinking of doing 40p 35f 25c but not sure what's best for fat loss
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    edited July 2019
    I eat about 2,000 calories a day. I eat when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not. Super simple. So far over 2 months I've lost 12 lbs with a sedentary lifestyle.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    I typically go 150-200 cals for morning and afternoon snacks - hunk of cheese, handful of nuts, piece of fruit, Fiber One bar, etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Thanks all, after a fairly sedentary life style, the 1500 is pretty much just to kick start the process, will upto 1800 next week.

Your macro breakdown doesn't really matter for weight loss or weight management in general...calories are what matter.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Your macro breakdown doesn't really matter for weight loss or weight management in general...calories are what matter.
    i would oppose this, macros matter a moderate amount, more proteins makes you feel full for longer time etc easing the weight management, you lose less muscle mass when adequate amount of protein is in the diet.