Losing weight- building muscle

Options
sara8032
sara8032 Posts: 2 Member
Hey everybody! I’m definitely not new to MFP. I successfully lost about 40lbs a couple of years ago but also started losing a lot of muscle along with it. I quit smoking 8 months ago and became very depressed, gained a ton of weight and now for the first time ever, I’m fat without my normal amount of muscle. I gained everything I had lost 2 years ago and then some. I’ve come out of my depression and I’m seeking advice, tips, tricks, success stories on how I can not just lose the weight but work on regaining muscle back. Thanks!

Replies

• kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    ya need to workout/lift weights to not lose as much muscle and lose fat. Proper supplementation of carbs/proteins/creatine proper workouts. A little body recomposition.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    If you're new to strength training, you can see a little muscle growth whilst losing fat, but it's not usually a significant amount for females.

Take the weight loss, slow and steady, ensure adequate protein intake and follow a progressive lifting program. There are some great links in this thread - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Once you've lost some of the fat you might consider bulk & cut routines to gain some muscle.

• sara8032
    sara8032 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! I realized after I wrote the message (while feeling despair), I know that it’s unlikely to gain muscle while losing weight. Going to look into the link and lifting. Thanks again