Marinade

Options
How much marinade actually sticks to a piece of meat (ie how many Tablespoons should I count)?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Good question. It's not that the marinade sticks to the meat but rather that the meat absorbs the marinade.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Yep, good question, but I just include the marinade in the calorie count when appropriate. I log it all, or if it’s a dish for 2 or 4 or whatever, I’ll log the single portion. If some gets left in the pan/dish then all the better. I win!
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Weigh what's put in the marinade then weigh what is left. Calorie counting without a food scale is like driving a car without any instruments.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Weigh what's put in the marinade then weigh what is left. Calorie counting without a food scale is like driving a car without any instruments.

I weigh everything AND if I don’t know I overestimate, however I was at my friend’s house eating chicken that had been marinated. I thought there might be a good rule of thumb for this in case one wasn’t home where a scale was available. X
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Hard to derive a rule of thumb because marinades can include so many different ingredients. A simple marinade made from spices/herbs and a splash of soy sauce will be hugely different in calories than one swimming in oil, honey or peanut butter for example.

Since you were eating at a friends house you could maybe ask for the recipe ‘since it was so good!’ 😉