Movies

Options
What snacks do you all bring to the movies and how to you not get that dreadful popcorn

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I bypass the snacks and popcorn. I can watch a whole movie without snacks. Whoa. Ticket prices to see a movie is already expensive.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I eat the popcorn. I share a large with husband instead of getting my own, and usually feel so full from it that I don't need to eat after anyway, so it works out.

I love movie popcorn. So salty and satisfying.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I eat the popcorn as well. I get myself a medium. I don't add extra butter It's about 600-700 calories. It doesn't become a problem in my dad especially because I only go to the movies a handful of times a year.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Movie popcorn butter just smells rancid to me, so I have no problem avoiding that. Standard movie theater nachos are just disappointing, too.

I miss going to Alamo Drafthouse though, worth saving up some calories for beer and wings. Sadly I'm nowhere near one though.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Movie popcorn butter just smells rancid to me, so I have no problem avoiding that. Standard movie theater nachos are just disappointing, too.

I miss going to Alamo Drafthouse though, worth saving up some calories for beer and wings. Sadly I'm nowhere near one though.

Yes. That is what the smell is. thank you
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I usually splurge on a small popcorn. For me it's totally worth it because I love movie theater popcorn. Sometimes I'll bring in some Smart Sweets for gummies (80 calories a bag and just as good as any candy) or I'll eat half a Lily's chocolate bar. All completely workable in my plan (with a diet coke, of course!). I don't usually get the hot food from a concession.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    We eat dinner before we go to the movie.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    We eat dinner before we go to the movie.

Whoa, me too.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I do sunflower seeds or get a pretzel from the movie
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I think we have been brainwashed/conditioned to eat when going to the movies. It’s what we’ve done since young children. But when I stopped, I began saving both calories and money. Win-win. If I MUST eat something (like when the movie impinges on a mealtime), I bring my own snack, usually a protein bar os small baggie of nuts.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    What snacks do you all bring to the movies and how to you not get that dreadful popcorn

I actually love popcorn with the movies, but I sneak in a mason jar (2 cups) in of unbuttered popcorn in, a sparkling water, and sometimes peanut butter at the bottom of a mason jar with carrots and celery in it. I’ve even brought in edamame before.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options

Dry cereal, roasted chick peas, Special K cracker chips, and Skinny Pop popcorn are my main snacks. I used to bring Simply Protein chips, but they seem to have disappeared from the supermarket and health store shelves where I shop.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    An average movie runs maybe 90 to 120 minutes. Right?

I’m sure there are many 90-120 minute periods in your life where you’re not compelled to eat. This is another.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    An average movie runs maybe 90 to 120 minutes. Right?

I’m sure there are many 90-120 minute periods in your life where you’re not compelled to eat. This is another.

Sure, but I enjoy it.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Went to a movie the other day. I love movie popcorn, but since I read about the topping not being butter, I pass on popcorn.
    Most of the theaters around here serve food, wine and beer now. That seems weird to me. Concessions are 3-4 times more expensive than buying them elsewhere, for the exact same item. Movies cost enough by themselves, without the gouging for refreshments. Waste of money, and calories.
  • TaoTeRunning
    TaoTeRunning Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Get a reasonable amount of popcorn and enjoy it - that's it.
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I have been wracking my brain trying to remember the last movie that I saw in the theater....I still can't remember the movie, but I probably bought popcorn while I was there. I only go to the movies about once a year, maybe even less.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Went to a movie the other day. I love movie popcorn, but since I read about the topping not being butter, I pass on popcorn.
    Most of the theaters around here serve food, wine and beer now. That seems weird to me. Concessions are 3-4 times more expensive than buying them elsewhere, for the exact same item. Movies cost enough by themselves, without the gouging for refreshments. Waste of money, and calories.

Do you find that others really judge you for this? I share your opinion, but whoa. Some of my friends get actually upset that I don't buy concessions. It's weird to me. I know people who will pay $13 for a movie ticket and $25 on concessions while there, but think it's "too expensive" to spend $55 on a concert ticket.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Do you find that others really judge you for this? I share your opinion, but whoa. Some of my friends get actually upset that I don't buy concessions. It's weird to me. I know people who will pay $13 for a movie ticket and $25 on concessions while there, but think it's "too expensive" to spend $55 on a concert ticket.

Yeah, people do judge, but I don’t care. I like my money😏. My frugal mind rebels at paying $3.75 for a box of candy, when I can get the exact same thing at Target, just down the road for $0.99.

I agree, it’s kind of strange how people justify what they spend, or won’t spend, for entertainment.