Talk me off the ledge?

OAS5
OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
Ok I was doing just fine, lost 70 pounds from 272.6 to 202.6 with a goal of 190. I have been stuck there since early June. I thought I'd be at my goal right now. This past Saturday I was 203.3 which is normal. Yesterday I was 205.2 and today 205.4 which I'm kinda freaking out about. I did go way over in sodium on Sunday so that could account for this bump right now. Should I evaluate everything I'm doing to get this last 12 pounds or so off? Do I need to do something extreme here? We have a wedding August 24th and I really want to be at 195 for it. I mean 70 pounds is good but I want 82. These last 12 or so are just being so stubborn. Thanks guys.

Replies

• Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Great job on the 70! I'd also suspect water retention and making sure you're in a deficit. That means double-checking your logging. Do you weigh everything with a food scale and use accurate database entries? How long has it been since you had MFP recalculate your calories goal?

I'd also suggest a diet break, at least after the wedding!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Definately the recalc if you haven't done that. As your body gets smaller the amount of calories required to maintain get lower. If you have already done that then I would suggest making sure your logging is absolutely correct. That means weighing all your food before eating it. It also means every bite of this and that here and there gets logged. If none of that helps you may have to go lower on your calories or up your activity. Note however that you shouldn't ever need to eat less than 1200 for women and 1500 for men.

The other thing is how long have you been dieting? You may need a diet break. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10481830/the-diet-break/p1

Aside from all of that don't get hung up on a number. I originally set my goal at 135 but never got there. I ended up with a range of 145 to 150. My doctor was happy at 165 so I'm ok with it. I'm not gonna lie though I still wish for 135.
  • OAS5
    Thanks guys for the info. A ton of interesting info to chew over. Oh yesterday it's funny because I did 45 minutes to an hour of cardio. That is why I was not surprised by this mornings weigh in. My diet over the weekend was not 100% on point. I do know that. It wasn't awful just not exactly what I typically do. Thanks again for the info.
  • OAS5
    That should say I was surprised by today's weigh in. Can you edit posts you make because I don't know how if you can?
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    edited July 2019
    New exercise can add water weight too. Just recalc what you need and see how you are, that should help plus awareness on 'scale weight' vs fat-loss. The link people like here is:

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

They only let you edit for a hour... but if you hover in the text field you'll see a gear appear on the upper right with an 'Edit' option.

• OAS5
    gottswald wrote: »
    New exercise can add water weight too. Just recalc what you need and see how you are, that should help plus awareness on 'scale weight' vs fat-loss. The link people like here is:

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

They only let you edit for a hour... but if you hover in the text field you'll see a gear appear on the upper right with an 'Edit' option.

Thanks for the info. What funny too is I have a very physical job. In the summer and fall I mean very, very physical. In the fall I will take 15,000 to 20,000 steps a day Monday through Friday from October to late December. I'm just gonna cool off and take one day at a time now.

What do problem young of quinoa on a diet. I make grilled chicken every night for dinner and I usually put cauliflower rice and broccoli. To switch things up I bought some quinoa to try. That is supposed to be sorry healthy right? Cauliflower rice is one of my favorite foods on Earth. Thanks for any info.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    edited July 2019
    noodlesno wrote: »
    Hey,

Weight loss is not linear on anyone. You know in your heart of hearts if you have been on point with your nutrition. If you have, then this is just a fluctuation or you are adding muscle mass. If not then just tighten up a bit, nothing extreme just be stricter with measuring and tracking.

Remember though the scale doesn't always tell the whole story. I weight 2lbs more in the picture below but have a completely different composition and I think I look leaner even though I am heavier. Do you have any progress pics you can go back to? I personally find them super helpful in understanding if what I am doing is paying off.

9jvctwbq16c4.png

@noodlesno - wow, amazing change on your legs! Way to go!

My legs are kinda lumpy and those pics are inspirational. What's your routine?
  • noodlesno
    noodlesno Posts: 113 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Thanks. I do 2 days heavy weights upper and lower, 2 days strength circuits, 2 days cardio mainly training for the half marathon I have in sept. However, to be honest the main thing I think that has made them look better is time as my skin gets tighter after a 100lbs loss and a bit of a tan! 😂
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    noodlesno wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Thanks. I do 2 days heavy weights upper and lower, 2 days strength circuits, 2 days cardio mainly training for the half marathon I have in sept. However, to be honest the main thing I think that has made them look better is time as my skin gets tighter after a 100lbs loss and a bit of a tan! 😂

Wow - your pictures are amazing. It is wonderful that you lost 100 pounds without any loose skin. Okay, I am a bit envious, too. You give others, like myself, hope. Thank you for sharing!
  • OAS5
    Whew feeling much better this morning. 203.6 on my weigh in, back on track. Now I have to really be extra careful and do things right to push through my low of 202.6 and break the 200 mark. I want to see 199 on that scale.