Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What new or revised public policy/law would make it easier for people to maintain a healthy weight?

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    Wouldn't it be nice if we all forgot about more legislation and just followed what the healthiest countries do? The US is pretty far down by the way.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/the-10-healthiest-countries-in-the-world-2019-2
    In new rankings, Europe takes up six of the top 10 spots with North American countries struggling. The US placed lower at 35th for 2019, five places behind Cuba which was the highest ranked non "high income" country on the list.

Studies have suggested that a "Mediterranean diet" supplemented with foods like extra-virgin olive oil and nuts, had a lower rate of major cardiovascular events than others, giving added significance to a country's geography on the rankings.

Asian countries improved their rankings generally with South Korea improving seven places while China rose to 52nd in the world, according to the Bloomberg Healthiest Country Index.

The study took into account 169 countries and graded nations on factors like life expectancy but also penalised tobacco use and obesity. Bloomberg's rankings also considered environmental factors such as sanitation and clean water.

The Bloomberg link is in there, but I didn't link it here as it seems to limit the number of views/paywall?...

It does make me want to chase that Mediterranean diet though...
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    mcfly216 wrote: »
    Not a thing, we have enough laws and regulations as it is. Generally a restaurant is going to have a meal higher in calories than you can make at home. Humans managed thousands of years without being obese. No nuntrion labels, no macro counting they got by. If you can’t manage your weight (excluding medical reasons) that’s on you. One meal at a restaurant isn’t going to cause obesity.

...no convenience stores, no chocolate bars, no cake or cookies, no ice cream, no restaurants, no modern fruits, vegetables and grains, no fatty meats, no food without walking miles to hunt or gather...

...sorry, what was your point again?

The point is no one is forcing you to purchase those items. A rational thinking person knows that if they eat fried chicken everyday they will gain weight. On top of that nearly all of the things you listed have nutrition info available to a majority of the world.

Nobody is ‘forcing’ anyone to purchase those items, but humans evolved to deal with food scarcity, not abundance. As a result we have all sorts of inbuilt mechanisms to try to make sure we eat enough (eg hunger) but no similar drives to avoid overeating tasty high-calorie food. And you just can’t willpower 24/7.

So once you’ve finished telling fat people that everything is their own fault, do you have anything to offer that’s actually helpful?

Your firat phraae 'nobody is forcing anyone to purchase those items" is correct.

IMO, the rest of the post regarding evolution, etc pretty much excuses for lack of personal eesponsibility.

Not going to fix a problem if one does not admit one is there.

Well, in that case nothing anyone can do is gonna change a thing. If it’s 100% personal responsibility, might as well just let fat people be fat and stop any kind of efforts to help ‘em.

You can't help someone that isn't motivated to make a change - it has to be their idea. All the information is readily available but they have to do the work.

I can't think of a single overweight friend that I have that doesn't know what they need to change to lose weight - it's just not important enough to them to stay consistent and do the work. One of my good friends is really heavy -she knows eating sugar and junk food doesn't help and yet she still does it because she enjoys it. I love her to pieces but there's nothing anyone else can do to help her - it's on her.

I find that statement a bit off in a policy discussion. We literally can cause people to change behavior. Certainly at a given individual, there could be people that will do something if they want it strongly enough, but most people fall on a bell curve of what they'll do to something as simple as a price increase - it is a bit of the most fundamentals of economics. We literary can change or influence behavior at the aggregate level, that's what policies are for.

And what is missed in discussing "well when was the chocolate bar invented" is the question of how can personal responsibility be explanatory of the issue, if we're making it an alternative hypothesis? Did the human capacity for self control just simply change in the last century?

That bold might be a difficult concept to digest (pun intended) for anyone who has lived in a fairly free society long enough. "They" would never....is the mindset/rationale I've been offered regarding certain, previously unthinkable policy changes. These were hypothetical discussions not related to weight control though.
  • gatamadriz
    gatamadriz Posts: 68 Member
    Dietitians should be included on any health insurance plan under the category preventative healthcare
    Gym membership subsidies to all gyms, if you are obese, should be part of your insurance coverage.
    No taxes on fresh produce, lean meats and cheeses.
    Gym equipment in parks - they do this in Miami and it is great
    This works in Europe where I lived for many years, it can work here.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited October 2019
    Not a thing, we have enough laws and regulations as it is. Generally a restaurant is going to have a meal higher in calories than you can make at home. Humans managed thousands of years without being obese. No nuntrion labels, no macro counting they got by. If you can’t manage your weight (excluding medical reasons) that’s on you. One meal at a restaurant isn’t going to cause obesity.

...no convenience stores, no chocolate bars, no cake or cookies, no ice cream, no restaurants, no modern fruits, vegetables and grains, no fatty meats, no food without walking miles to hunt or gather...

The point is no one is forcing you to purchase those items. A rational thinking person knows that if they eat fried chicken everyday they will gain weight. On top of that nearly all of the things you listed have nutrition info available to a majority of the world.

Nobody is ‘forcing’ anyone to purchase those items, but humans evolved to deal with food scarcity, not abundance. As a result we have all sorts of inbuilt mechanisms to try to make sure we eat enough (eg hunger) but no similar drives to avoid overeating tasty high-calorie food. And you just can’t willpower 24/7.

So once you’ve finished telling fat people that everything is their own fault, do you have anything to offer that’s actually helpful?

Your firat phraae 'nobody is forcing anyone to purchase those items" is correct.

IMO, the rest of the post regarding evolution, etc pretty much excuses for lack of personal eesponsibility.

Well, in that case nothing anyone can do is gonna change a thing. If it’s 100% personal responsibility, might as well just let fat people be fat and stop any kind of efforts to help ‘em.

You can't help someone that isn't motivated to make a change - it has to be their idea. All the information is readily available but they have to do the work.

I can't think of a single overweight friend that I have that doesn't know what they need to change to lose weight - it's just not important enough to them to stay consistent and do the work. One of my good friends is really heavy -she knows eating sugar and junk food doesn't help and yet she still does it because she enjoys it. I love her to pieces but there's nothing anyone else can do to help her - it's on her.

I find that statement a bit off in a policy discussion. We literally can cause people to change behavior. Certainly at a given individual, there could be people that will do something if they want it strongly enough, but most people fall on a bell curve of what they'll do to something as simple as a price increase - it is a bit of the most fundamentals of economics. We literary can change or influence behavior at the aggregate level, that's what policies are for.

And what is missed in discussing "well when was the chocolate bar invented" is the question of how can personal responsibility be explanatory of the issue, if we're making it an alternative hypothesis? Did the human capacity for self control just simply change in the last century?

Not last century maybe last 30 years or so. The collective "we" have come to expect instant gratification with little or no effort expended. We can satisfy ourselves so fast that self control/thought goes out the window.

And on your policy discussion, regardless of politics, I'm pretty sure if there is some large change in US healthcare where there is increased government involvement there will be excise taxes on high calorie, nutrient poor foods.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    gatamadriz wrote: »
    Dietitians should be included on any health insurance plan under the category preventative healthcare
    Gym membership subsidies to all gyms, if you are obese, should be part of your insurance coverage.
    No taxes on fresh produce, lean meats and cheeses.
    Gym equipment in parks - they do this in Miami and it is great
    This works in Europe where I lived for many years, it can work here.

Many parks have taken away gym equipment on playgrounds for supposed safety reasons (read cover you *kitten* from lawsuits). There are even articles there that the "safe" playgrounds are promoting lack of self confidence and anxiety in kids which is rearing it's head now for those in their 20's.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2015/11/29/rethinking-ultra-safe-playgrounds-why-its-time-to-bring-back-thrill-provoking-equipment-for-kids/

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/04/hey-parents-leave-those-kids-alone/358631/
  • jalapenos6000
    jalapenos6000 Posts: 13 Member
    Work with reality not against it
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »

The primary change in the last century was a shift from scarcity to abundance. Self control isn't an innate human quality, although it is reinforced through cultural and societal means. As the cultural concepts of sacrificing the present for the future diminished much of the "old wisdom" has died.

Weight is simply one of the most visible symptoms of a deeper root cause.
    I would say self-control is the innate quality of humans. When it comes to more instinct driven areas, are brains aren't much bigger or better than other primates, possibly worse since we use so much less sense of smell. What tends to make humans different is a large prefrontal cortex, the area that tends to make you do the hard thing when necessary. There's a very simple test of this in that give a chimp the choice to reach for an empty hand or hand with food, and even when they understand reaching for the empty hand will actually give food, they'll never do it - and chimps are the next closest primates to humans in PFC size. Almost any human child, on the other hand, can learn that you get a bigger reward for going against what is in front of your eyes drawing your desire.

There have always been people with access to abundance since we've had classed societies. I don't think the lords of Europe had an obesity epidemic like we see now.

I also don't think there is some great store of old wisdom where people have lost the ability to sacrifice for future gain. That seems to be saying we did lose the capacity for self control
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member

The primary change in the last century was a shift from scarcity to abundance. Self control isn't an innate human quality, although it is reinforced through cultural and societal means. As the cultural concepts of sacrificing the present for the future diminished much of the "old wisdom" has died.

I would say self-control is the innate quality of humans. When it comes to more instinct driven areas, are brains aren't much bigger or better than other primates, possibly worse since we use so much less sense of smell. What tends to make humans different is a large prefrontal cortex, the area that tends to make you do the hard thing when necessary. There's a very simple test of this in that give a chimp the choice to reach for an empty hand or hand with food, and even when they understand reaching for the empty hand will actually give food, they'll never do it - and chimps are the next closest primates to humans in PFC size. Almost any human child, on the other hand, can learn that you get a bigger reward for going against what is in front of your eyes drawing your desire.

There have always been people with access to abundance since we've had classed societies. I don't think the lords of Europe had an obesity epidemic like we see now.

I also don't think there is some great store of old wisdom where people have lost the ability to sacrifice for future gain. That seems to be saying we did lose the capacity for self control

So what's your explanation?
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member

So what's your explanation?

There is a multitude of things going on, but I absolutely do believe advertising has an effect on people's eating habits. Perhaps I'm biased in that I work for an advertising company. I think a number of large scale social effects and policies matter - I don't think it is as simple as people make choices in a vacuum unimpacted by society, economics, or stressors. My point isn't that I secretly am the one man with the actual perfect solution for the obesity epidemic. I am, however, here to say social policy absolutely can work: we have fewer smokers now, and it is absolutely measurable that some of the reasons why are things like sin tax on cigarrettes and anti-smoking informational campaigns. While I'm ambivalent about the moral arguments - the shoulds - anyone that wants to say we can't influence these things via policy is ignorant or motivated to deluded their self in my esteem. Yet I think people want that delusion sometimes because it is easier to handle than having to come up with the hard arguments in the realm of morals for why we can or can't justify acting or not acting to change things.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member

In comparison to animals, yes.

In your example the bigger reward for going against what is in front of your eyes (sacrificing your present for your future) is learned - not innate.

I suspect it's more an issue of the rate of abundance:

jdw8h3fgpv1u.png

Note the explosion in food production and population following WWII and the conversion from military build up to agricultural and industrial build up. Also has a great deal to do with the logistical issue of transporting and storing food. Refrigeration is a relatively new concept and localized to colder climates prior to the 1920s. Most of the calorie dense food we commonly eat today was created out of necessity for storage during winter - heavy breads, jellies, cheeses, etc. These tend to taste better laden with sugar and salt and while rare treats historically these are used everyday.

There's also the issue of physical expenditure. Those of the higher class in the past needed to move more than the average person today.

I can't remember the term, but there was a calculation for the amount of work required for an individual to survive throughout the ages. This has dropped dramatically in the 1900s and is down to only a few hours. Compare this to anyone attempting to survive in Alaska which is over 100 hours/week.