New

Options
Ok I'm new to logging foods and tracking and all. I usually never eat breakfast,but since starting this Monday I've been logging. I go to the gym in the morning, then have a protein shake with a banana in it for breakfast. I also log my lunch,dinner and if I have a snack. I'm 33, 5"2,female weight 133 trying to lose 10lbs. According to MFP I need to consume like 1500 cals. But by the end of the day I've only consumed around 8-900,not including what I burned at the gym. I cant eat 5x a day though or I'll gain more weight so it's kinda confusing to me.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale to weigh your food?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,616 Member
    Options
    srdeloy374 wrote: »
    Ok I'm new to logging foods and tracking and all. I usually never eat breakfast,but since starting this Monday I've been logging. I go to the gym in the morning, then have a protein shake with a banana in it for breakfast. I also log my lunch,dinner and if I have a snack. I'm 33, 5"2,female weight 133 trying to lose 10lbs. According to MFP I need to consume like 1500 cals. But by the end of the day I've only consumed around 8-900,not including what I burned at the gym. I cant eat 5x a day though or I'll gain more weight so it's kinda confusing to me.

Just feeling the need to point out that it's not how many times a day you eat that dictate if you gain or lose weight but how much.

And, yeah, are you weighing your food?

• srdeloy374
    srdeloy374 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yea I have a scale and been using it. I'm not snacking and eating all the junk I was before cuz I'm trying to lose the 10lbs by mid September
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

When I make my own banana protein shake.... it’s usually 300-400 calories. One scoop of vanilla protein powder alone is 140 calories, plus another 140 for a banana, and if I add almond milk that’s a min of 310 calories...I add other ingredients like flax seeds...if you’re making your own, the shake alone is 1/3 to 1/2 of the calories you’re eating all day—which seems really off if you’re only logging 250-350 calories for each lunch and dinner. It seems highly suspect that you’re not entering in enough calories.
  • lg013
    Options
    Can you describe what you’re eating more? Have you just reduced it to salad and veggies? If so, you do need some protein!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Yea I have a scale and been using it. I'm not snacking and eating all the junk I was before cuz I'm trying to lose the 10lbs by mid September

Weight loss is 100% about consistently being in a calorie deficit. It doesn't matter how often you eat, whether or not you have snacks, or whether or not you consider your food "junk." You can eat literally anything you want, at any time of day, and you will lose weight as long as you are consistently in a calorie deficit. You CAN eat 5 times a day as long as you don't exceed your calorie goal.

If you're weighing *everything*--your oil, your apples, everything--and you are still not hitting your calorie goal, then you need to add low volume/high calorie foods. Nut butters and ice cream are popular choices.

Additionally, if you only have 10 pounds to lose, then 7 weeks is not a reasonable or safe amount of time to expect to lose it. Set MFP to lose 0.5 lb/week, consistently eat that number of calories, and keep in mind that even 0.5 lb/week may be an unreasonably fast pace depending on your stats.
  • srdeloy374
    Options
    For breakfast I usually consume about 245 calories. I make a shake with either my thrive lifestyle shakes or protein shake with 8oz of almond milk and I add a banana. For lunch I'll usually do like a salad and I make sure to add some protein to it. For dinner I eat whatever i make for my family of 5 just weigh mine out to like 4oz. I'm on an appetite suppressant atm to help me so I'm not eating junk all day like chips sweets,etc. I go to the gym 6x a week and do anything from stairtread to weights.
  • lg013
    edited July 2019
    Options
    For breakfast I usually consume about 245 calories. I make a shake with either my thrive lifestyle shakes or protein shake with 8oz of almond milk and I add a banana. For lunch I'll usually do like a salad and I make sure to add some protein to it. For dinner I eat whatever i make for my family of 5 just weigh mine out to like 4oz. I'm on an appetite suppressant atm to help me so I'm not eating junk all day like chips sweets,etc. I go to the gym 6x a week and do anything from stairtread to weights.

Ok this is very different from what you orginally explained in your post...sounds like you aren’t trying at all to eat the amount of calories suggested for healthy weight loss—but you are forcing yourself to undereat.

First, why are you taking appetite suppressants? I’m going to assume since you only want to lose 10 pounds that you have a health BMI, so they aren’t doctor presribed for obesity. So, this means you are taking non-FDA approves appetite suppressants and they can cause increased heart rate, high blood pressure, liver damage, rectal bleeding, and several other issues. It seems like a no brained if you’re complaining that you are not eating enough each day and at each meal, then you should probably stop taking suppressants. Also, why are you limiting yourself to 4 ounces at dinner when you haven’t eaten enough that day and state you don’t have time to eat other meals? Why not allow yourself more to eat at lunch or dinner?

I don’t think your plan is a healthy one to lose weight and can do permanent damage to your body. Aim for 0.5 pound loss a week so you don’t destroy lean muscle, don’t create additional health problems, and can sustain a change. You didn’t put the weight on that quickly or by taking pills to increase your appetite—so don’t aim to lose it that way.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,616 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Raise your hand if you want to google the doctor prescribing appetite suppressants to someone who is possibly already under eating?

Sounds to me that eating some of that "junk food" you're taking drugs so you WON'T eat might do you some good. Or at least eat more calorie dense foods.

You should also open your diary. More help could come your way if we can see it.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Don't bite the hand that feeds you... just sayin'. 😑
  • lg013
    edited July 2019
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Raise your hand if you want to google the doctor prescribing appetite suppressants to someone who is possibly already under eating?

Sounds to me that eating some of that "junk food" you're taking drugs so you WON'T eat might do you some good. Or at least eat more calorie dense foods.

You should also open your diary. More help could come your way if we can see it.

I frankly don’t think there is a doctor out there that would do this—especially for someone at a healthy weight. That’s a malpractice suit waiting to happen...and also being a terrible doctor.

I’m guessing her doctor’s advice is the same as ours—not to take suppressants, but just like in this post she isn’t hearing it and considers taking pills healthy.

Check out what happened with Meridia and let me know how you feel about appetite suppressants...
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Step 1: STOP TAKING APPETITE SUPPRESSANTS.

Step 2: Find a new doctor. If your doctor has genuinely prescribed drugs to suppress appetite in someone of your stats then he/she needs immediate investigation.

Step 3: Report your doctor.

Step 4: Do some research and educate yourself on nutrition. You’ve not actually clarified what you mean by ‘junk’.

Step 5: Start logging accurately and honestly at the level generated by genuine data input to the MFP app.

Step 6: Come back and ask about anything that you’re not sure of and let us know how you’re doing.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Do you mean that you are 10 pounds from a healthy BMI for your height? If so, unless there is some other medical condition you're not mentioning, any doctor who would prescribe you an appetite suppressant is not acting professionally or responsibly.
  • lg013
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Do you mean that you are 10 pounds from a healthy BMI for your height? If so, unless there is some other medical condition you're not mentioning, any doctor who would prescribe you an appetite suppressant is not acting professionally or responsibly.

Post states she is currently 5’2” and currently weighs 133, that’s a healthy BMI of about 24. Losing 10 pounds would put her at a BMI of 22...also healthy.
  • srdeloy374
    Options
    I've done my research and actually when taken correctly appetite suppressants can be beneficial. There not meant to be taken more than a week or 2 for someone of my stature.
    lg013 wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »

Post states she is currently 5’2” and currently weighs 133, that’s a healthy BMI of about 24. Losing 10 pounds would put her at a BMI of 22...also healthy.

No 24 is not my BMI its 26. Technically I'm overweight for my height and weight according to standard graphs.

I didn't think I'd get badgered asking questions but I know now. If I knew how to delete this whole thing I would. I was simply asking guidance on consuming the full 1520 calories. I pay more attention to macros though then calories. I use my Fitbit and MFP to track my stuff. My Fitbit tracks all my exercise and doesn't share to MFP correctly so it doesn't show everything correctly in my diary. But anyways thanks everyone have a great day
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I agree with all the above.

but to get more calories and not eat "more" eat calorie dense foods. nuts, oils (dressing in the salad), avocado. Avoid "low calorie" items (yogurt, milk) and opt for full fat. same quantity, more calories.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

The smoothie is a great place to add calories without adding bulk. yogurt (full fat), nut butter...put some PB on that banana.

with only 10lbs to lose you should be looking at a rate of loss of around 0.5lb/week. which can easily be masked by water fluctuations. It's a slow slog to get the last few pounds.
    http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/