First Marathon scheduled for October 2020

pondee629
pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
edited July 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Running this here and on Long Distance Runners. Seems the Long Distance Runners does not show as "My Discussions".

Started training for the Atlantic City Marathon scheduled for October 2020. 15 months should be plenty of time. ;-) I ran a half marathon in September 2016 (2:17:10), kept in pretty good shape, but not running a lot. More elliptical, rowing and weights (Strong Lifts 5x5). Starting with a c2 5K program, graduating to a 10K program and up to starting a Marathon program by May of next year. Nothing wrong with running your first Marathon at 65 is there? I figure 8 weeks to 5K, another 8 weeks to 10K, ( total 16 weeks, 4 months) to November. Maintain until March 2020 and then 18 weeks +/- to the Marathon in October. That's my plan and I hope I can stick to it.

First observation, the elliptical is NOT equivalent to running on a treadmill. The treadmill is much more difficult.

Second observation: I'm feeling much better now that I have started running again. Save for a broken little toe, I should not have left it.

Now that it's public, I gotta do it. ;-)

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    Well it sounds like a plan.

As for alternative workouts other than actual running, if you find how you adapt to them they can still be useful. For example, my natural pacing running sucks, so I can generally set a treadmill and run a faster time. We own an elliptical and I made big cardio gains on it, but without some changes it doesn't work my hip flexors nearly enough to simulate road running. Going backwards with moderate incline and resistance does work those muscles though. All machines tend to have limitations, but if you adjust for them and are aware you can adapt to what you really need more.

The only suggestion I would make it maybe just going for a run to determine your starting point. If you've run a half in the last couple of years, chances are you are going to easily run 5k or more as a first training run.

Keep motivated, adjust your plan as needed, and you should be fine.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    That is exciting! Sounds like you have a great plan. I second that you should have no problem progressing through the C25K and 10K given your base and history, but it is very wise to take it slow. While you are correct that the elliptical is not the equivalent of running, do not be afraid to replace some of your easy runs with the elliptical as a means of cross-training, as long as you are getting the heart rate up. Especially for older runners, cross-training is very helpful in avoiding injury.

Besides the obvious mileage, the main difference between training for a half marathon and a full marathon is that educating yourself on nutrition and fueling is essential to avoid hitting the wall. You may want to consider checking out the monthly running challenge, as it is a very active group with lots of experienced and knowledgeable people there.

Congrats on taking the first step. I hope you will keep this thread going and keep us posted on how your training is going. Maybe I'm not quite 65, but as a somewhat older runner myself, I love to see older people in the sport!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Running a full marathon before 65 is on my list (leaves me about 18 months) but it sounds like you've got a handle on things; you're starting off with decent base fitness and doing a gradual build. We old pharts need more recovery time and I'd definitely suggest running outside as much as possible as part of your training (I trained for my first race in 2009 primarily on the treadmill, and ended up with horrible shin splints....) The weather in October should be a lot more bearable too.....this summer heat is killing me!
  • pondee629
    Running a full marathon before 65 is on my list (leaves me about 18 months) but it sounds like you've got a handle on things; you're starting off with decent base fitness and doing a gradual build. We old pharts need more recovery time and I'd definitely suggest running outside as much as possible as part of your training (I trained for my first race in 2009 primarily on the treadmill, and ended up with horrible shin splints....) The weather in October should be a lot more bearable too.....this summer heat is killing me!

Can't wait to get outside again but 90* and a dew point in the 70's is just too hot, humid and unpleasant. Yep, starting off slow with time to get up to speed and distance. That's my plan. Turn 65 this January. My Half was done at 61.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    This is AWESOME! It sounds like a great plan as well.

Now we expect weekly reports on Long Distance Runners group. :D:D:D
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Running my first in October! It's definitely a whole new way of looking at running. This is the most fun i have had training for something. Good luck!!!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Nice! A full marathon is definitely on my bucket list. I've got my first half coming up in November.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    I suggest you schedule some races for next spring. Maybe do a 5k and/or 10k this fall/winter, a half marathon in April or May, then another 5k or 10k next summer. It will get you into the discipline of training, work on your speed and give you more practice at race pacing and dealing with prerace routine and nerves.
  • pondee629
    Can prerace nerves come into play when you have no expectations, other than finishing on your own terms? ;-) A couple of races is probably a good idea. This fall is dicey as I've yet to run outdoors, just too dang hot and humid, and I'd like to progress slowly. Although I've been hitting the gym on a regular basis, lifting, rowing, and using the elliptical; my running condition is less than I would have hoped. Perhaps, once I get back on the road, Saturday morning is the plan, my outlook will change. I do so dislike the Treadmill (Dreadmill).
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Can prerace nerves come into play when you have no expectations, other than finishing on your own terms? ;-) A couple of races is probably a good idea. This fall is dicey as I've yet to run outdoors, just too dang hot and humid, and I'd like to progress slowly. Although I've been hitting the gym on a regular basis, lifting, rowing, and using the elliptical; my running condition is less than I would have hoped. Perhaps, once I get back on the road, Saturday morning is the plan, my outlook will change. I do so dislike the Treadmill (Dreadmill).

Perhaps YOGA might help. It keeps joints flexible and prevents injury. It feels great stretching those overworked hips. Good luck!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Congrats on the decision to do a marathon. Sounds like a solid plan. It seems as if you have a few big factors working in your favor, namely some base fitness and the luxury of enough time to do a slow build to marathon distance.

I'm only a couple years behind you in age, and I found that open marathon training seemed to put more wear and tear on my legs than when triathlon training, due to the pure run volume and lack of cross training built into the marathon plan I followed.

With that in mind, as @lporter229 and others suggested, you may find that cross training pays some big dividends. I think your gym sessions could include elliptical, assault bike and rowing as complements to the treadmill.

Finally, I second @weatherking2019's suggestion to consider a regular yoga practice. I was "forced" to do yoga initially during injury rehab last year, but I've grown to really enjoy it as a counterpoint to cardio work. It has been very beneficial to flexibility and feels great.

Look forward to getting updates as you go through training. Good Luck!
  • Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Well done in deciding to do it! How exciting! I'm meant to be running my first this October- the Yorkshire Marathon in England.
  • kmfeig87
    kmfeig87 Posts: 1,990 Member
    As far as pre-race nerves if your only goal is to finish on your own terms, I'd say they are still a thing. The difference with a race (particularly a big one) is you have to get there early, and park in, and hang out, and go to the bathroom, and then stand around in the chill air before you start. It's good to get some of the kinks out in a 20 or 25 K. Also figure out water stops, etc! Best of luck!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    is that the new rock'n'roll altantic city marathon or another one?
  • pondee629

https://www.acraceseries.com/event-information. This is all the info I have. Saw it figured, what the H###.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

https://www.acraceseries.com/event-information. This is all the info I have. Saw it figured, what the H###.

nope different race - i jsut got a notification earlier this week about a new marathon in Atlantic City starting next year - its being run by Delmo sport who does a look in the NJ/DE area and run solid events
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    That's a daunting goal (for me) but I have a feeling you're going to nail this.
  • pondee629
    edited August 2019

nope different race - i jsut got a notification earlier this week about a new marathon in Atlantic City starting next year - its being run by Delmo sport who does a look in the NJ/DE area and run solid events

You have a site? always looking for options.

Week by week updates on this quest will be posted on Long Distance Runners. For those interested.
  • pondee629
    That's a daunting goal (for me) but I have a feeling you're going to nail this.

I like your confidence in me. ;-)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    You gave yourself enough time not just to build up to the distance but to relax about it. From a lot of your posts here I can tell you're driven, and know what you're doing.

I doubt I'll ever be capable of running a marathon, but I know with this stuff half the challenge is mental, so I think you're ahead of the game.