Cheat day

Options
Does it did anyone ever do a cheat day a week or a meal a week

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    no i work things in, may take a day at maintenance to go out.

a cheat day can easily wipe out a week of under eating so it also REALLY depends what one means by "cheat". Especially when on a small deficit.
  • lovelylosses
    lovelylosses Posts: 27 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I don't do "cheat" days because I don't believe in them in theory. The idea that you'll be on a restrictive diet the rest of your life is a recipe for disaster. Instead, I calorie cycle. Four days a week, I eat less. The other three, I eat more, since I know I'll be eating at a restaurant, or may want to have a few glasses of wine. I can still have my beloved nachos (I love you, nachos). At the end of the week, my calories are the same as if I had eaten one set amount every day.

Anyway, "cheating" sounds wrong. I prefer to treat myself occasionally, while still maintaining a healthy way of eating most of the time. :)
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in cheat days or meals. I think giving foods that title makes them dangerous.

Eat it. Enjoy it. Log it. <3
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    cheat meal, incorporate into your calorie goal. Then i dont eat over it. Require some planning before hand as cheat meals are calorie dense. Ya eat what ya want in moderate amount basically. Maybe those kebap or hamburger that is coming sneakily after you for a week. Or 2-3 slices of pizza. I am lucky since i am a man, woman has it worse to keep a goal. You can also eat instead of deficit at maintenance level.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    About once every couple of weeks I splurge, but I don't consider it "cheating." I plan for it, and count the calories. Tomorrow, for example will be a splurge day- I'm going to my fav Thai restaurant and ordering the chicken fried rice and plan on eating all of it. But...it will be the only thing I eat that day and I'm ok with that.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    "Cheat day"? No. Intentional refeed? Yes. If you do a cheat day, who or what are you cheating?
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Weekly cheat "days" do not work. I speak from experience. You can easily and quickly wipe out an entire week of dieting with a cheat day. I've done it, and it isn't fun; in fact it's very demoralizing and can take you completely off a diet. Don't take cheat days. Or take them three times a year, on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and your birthday.

As to the cheat "meal", I'm not a fan but it's probably workable, as long as it's a few hundred calories. If you're talking about a 1,000+ calorie blowout, no, that's not gonna work.

A punishing, deprivational diet is gonna lead to cheating days. A moderate diet of foods you enjoy can leave you satisfied enough that you don't really feel the need to "cheat". The latter should be the goal.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,995 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    since I am not at my goal yet and I'm at a calorie deficit, no cheat days for me. I might have a small piece of hard candy here and there or low carb ice cream but that is it and I can control myself now with not over eating. Logging every single thing is a must for me and keeps me honest.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't believe in "cheat" days, why in the world would I want to cheat myself??? I might have a high day, or a high meal, but they're not cheats... they're just life. Once it's done, it's back on plan.
  • nighthawk584
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Weekly cheat "days" do not work. I speak from experience. You can easily and quickly wipe out an entire week of dieting with a cheat day. I've done it, and it isn't fun; in fact it's very demoralizing and can take you completely off a diet. Don't take cheat days. Or take them three times a year, on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and your birthday.

As to the cheat "meal", I'm not a fan but it's probably workable, as long as it's a few hundred calories. If you're talking about a 1,000+ calorie blowout, no, that's not gonna work.

A punishing, deprivational diet is gonna lead to cheating days. A moderate diet of foods you enjoy can leave you satisfied enough that you don't really feel the need to "cheat". The latter should be the goal.

1,000 calories for a meal isn't exactly a lot...

Lol! For me, that is a light dinner. I know that many eat fewer calories to achieve their goal though.

haha..I used to do 1000 calories per meal of junk food..I ate at least 3500 calories a day of junk...that's why I ended up obese!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options

Lol! For me, that is a light dinner. I know that many eat fewer calories to achieve their goal though.

haha..I used to do 1000 calories per meal of junk food..I ate at least 3500 calories a day of junk...that's why I ended up obese!

Oh I absolutely CAN eat over 1000 calories a meal/sitting. no problemo. Just not something I can really do more than 1-2x a year even on maintenance at 1500-1600 calories. unless i plan ahead and do a small cut on calories for a week before.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options

It sure is for me. I'm on 1340 calories a day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

For those of us eating 1200-1400 calories it sure is! especially if one meal a day isn't satisfying (for some of us it isn't - i cannot do one big meal and little/no other food that day, i'll bite people's head off at some point).

Eating a 1,000 calorie meal once per week and, say, eating to maintenance for the day isn't going to be a detriment in the long run...the poster I originally quoted said it wouldn't work...in the big picture, it's immaterial. I routinely had maintenance days when I was losing weight and still lost 40 Lbs pretty easily.
  • nighthawk584
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

For those of us eating 1200-1400 calories it sure is! especially if one meal a day isn't satisfying (for some of us it isn't - i cannot do one big meal and little/no other food that day, i'll bite people's head off at some point).

Eating a 1,000 calorie meal once per week and, say, eating to maintenance for the day isn't going to be a detriment in the long run...the poster I originally quoted said it wouldn't work...in the big picture, it's immaterial. I routinely had maintenance days when I was losing weight and still lost 40 Lbs pretty easily.

I agree, but just curious, what were you eating on your 1000 calorie meal?
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    No.
    There’s not much point in cheating yourself. Working hard to lose, so it doesn’t make sense to give myself permission to cheat, and possibly slow down my progress. I prelog and stick to it, allowing all foods I like in moderation.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Same that's my dinner every night, 1500 or more on refeeds
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Same that's my dinner every night, 1500 or more on refeeds

Yup, I like a nice dinner with my wife and eat about 2500 to maintain per day. So, I've got the room for it. Not all do. I'll eat less during the day to have the room in my calories.