Rice.. cooked or raw?

Options
poeunj
poeunj Posts: 2 Member
edited July 2019 in Food and Nutrition
How do you all measure your rice? I’ve been doing it cook and I don’t feel like it’s accurate. Such little rice for so muchcarbs. Have I been measuring my main source of carbs wrong this whole time?! I use the BJs brand jasmine rice.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i weigh my serving(s) raw and then cook - but as long as you grab a good cooked rice entry either way works
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I weigh it raw. 45g. When it's cooked it comes to about 135g. That's about a quarter cup raw or about a cup cooked.

A serving of brown rice is about 170 calories, 35g carbs and 2g fiber (so 33g net carbs.)

Choose a raw entry or a cooked one, up to you. If you're looking at the label, use what it says.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Raw precooked weight.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I measure raw as the nutritional panel indicates.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If the package nutrition info doesn't specify, then it's for raw/dry. If it specifically says cooked or boiled or "as prepared" then it's for cooked. You can weigh it either way (though dry is probably more accurate) but you need to find an entry in the database that matches the state you weighed it in.
  • TaoTeRunning
    TaoTeRunning Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Rice can absorb vastly different amounts of water depending on the kind of rice and how you prepare it. Measuring dry rice is the only way to get good measurements.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I made a recipe for my rice so that I would have a relatively accurate cooked weight since cooked rice weights can vary.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I weigh cooked because we cook a heap of rice every 2 days at my place. We all eat rice at least once a day. So it just wouldn't work me weighing it raw and cooking it just for me. I do choose the "cooked" option of the rice entry in my diary and well... so far so good.

It's nowhere near as bad as pasta in terms of calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I weigh cooked because we cook a heap of rice every 2 days at my place. We all eat rice at least once a day. So it just wouldn't work me weighing it raw and cooking it just for me. I do choose the "cooked" option of the rice entry in my diary and well... so far so good.

I used cooked too.

Once upon a time I started with raw, did serving sizes, did the math, and figured out I could safely use cooked.

With rice, I can be happy with 75 - 100 grams cooked, but with pasta I want 142 g cooked, so rice is lower cal for me ;)
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »

I used cooked too.

Once upon a time I started with raw, did serving sizes, did the math, and figured out I could safely use cooked.

With rice, I can be happy with 75 - 100 grams cooked, but with pasta I want 142 g cooked, so rice is lower cal for me ;)

yeah me too. Every day I have 100g cooked rice for my second lunch. If i'm not trying to lose weight then I have more. With pasta, I need to have AT LEAST 145g cooked for it to even touch the sides! I mean, I can have less, but it leaves me wanting more. Like 300+ more...
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    poeunj wrote: »
    How do you all measure your rice? I’ve been doing it cook and I don’t feel like it’s accurate. Such little rice for so muchcarbs. Have I been measuring my main source of carbs wrong this whole time?! I use the BJs brand jasmine rice.

Welcome to the world of being sad about realistic portion sizes.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I weigh it cooked.

Raw wouldn't work as I cook a batch and then weigh my portion. ( yes I'm sure there would be convoluted ways of working out my portion from raw, but easier just to weigh my cooked portion)
    That also helps me estimate a portion when I am out and going by eye balling it if meal includes rice - as obviously that is always in cooked form when I get it.

Yes I get that this is not as accurate as weighing raw - but, as in the pasta thread, my aim is not to be the most accurate logger in the world, it is to log in a way that is easy and works for me.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    I weigh it when cooked.. and I'm a rice person.. eat em just about everday.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I weigh it cooked.

Raw wouldn't work as I cook a batch and then weigh my portion. ( yes I'm sure there would be convoluted ways of working out my portion from raw, but easier just to weigh my cooked portion)
    That also helps me estimate a portion when I am out and going by eye balling it if meal includes rice - as obviously that is always in cooked form when I get it.

Yes I get that this is not as accurate as weighing raw - but, as in the pasta thread, my aim is not to be the most accurate logger in the world, it is to log in a way that is easy and works for me.

I usually weigh raw, but I want to endorse this approach, which I use with some other foods. The cooked entries work just fine with that's the easiest way to weigh, especially if one is consistent over time and doesn't tend to extreme over or under-cooking.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I weigh it raw then measure it (cup, 1/2 cup, etc.) cooked. Just to be sure.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i batch cook my rice and have a recipe set up in MFP - i adjust the amount of uncooked rice used and then final serving size - then i just log the amount that i ate