Need Some advice on running

Options
Ok So I am not the best runner by far but my chest and side kills me when I run. Are these the normal aches and pains of running? I alwas log it in my exercise journal as walking because I have to walk to catch my breath and then I try to run again my legs feel like they just keeping going but the times i tried to push thru the pain it got really bad to the point had to stop. I have noticed there are alot of runners and people getting ready for 5k So what do you guys think?

Replies

• BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Nobody just "starts running". We all have to start slow, do a little walking, do a little running, repeat. I used the Couch to 5k app for my phone. In 7 weeks I went from being a non-runner to my first 5k. You'll get there, it just takes time :)
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    If it's the normal "stitch" in your side from running too fast, that's normal... slow down! If it's real chest pain... see a doctor. There's a difference between just pushing too hard and actually having something wrong, but don't keep doing what you're doing unless you're sure it's not serious. I don't get pain, but the occasional side stitch and then I slow down but continue like I was.

I'm not an expert.... see a doctor if it keeps happening!
  • InTenn
    InTenn Posts: 99
    Options
    To be honest, if exercise caused my chest to hurt, I'd talk to a doctor rather than a message board. It may be nothing or it may be something. He (or she) will know your history and the questions to ask.

That said, side stitches are common. But chest pains? Talk to doc.

My two cents.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    where is the pain? is it side of stomach because it could be a "side stitch" and could be from you run after a big meal or youre not breathing right.....also take it slow at first...start with c25k it really helped me in training for a 5k now im up to running 2 miles straight without any breaks
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    If it's the normal "stitch" in your side from running too fast, that's normal... slow down! If it's real chest pain... see a doctor. There's a difference between just pushing too hard and actually having something wrong, but don't keep doing what you're doing unless you're sure it's not serious. I don't get pain, but the occasional side stitch and then I slow down but continue like I was.

^This

And if it is just a stitch, sometimes pressing on the area helps. A stitch is just a build up of lactic acid in the muscle and a lot of times if you push around on it a little, you can get it to dissipate.
  • PediDocChicago
    PediDocChicago Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try the couch to 5k (c25k) plan. You can get the free app for your smartphone. It works you up to it really slowly (you start with running 30s walking 2min or something like that) and before you know it you'll be running like a runner! :) i hurt myself the first time i decided to just start running several miles... this is a good plan, you should check it out.
    good luck!
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    How are supposed to breath when you run ? this may be my problem I try to breath in my nose and out my mouth but some times i dont pay any attention to it at all
    where is the pain? is it side of stomach because it could be a "side stitch" and could be from you run after a big meal or youre not breathing right.....also take it slow at first...start with c25k it really helped me in training for a 5k now im up to running 2 miles straight without any breaks
    [/quote]
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options

^This

And if it is just a stitch, sometimes pressing on the area helps. A stitch is just a build up of lactic acid in the muscle and a lot of times if you push around on it a little, you can get it to dissipate.

^This!

And also, if it's due to breathing improperly sometimes exhaling forcefully when you come down on the foot opposite the side stitch can help relieve the pain as well.
  • Nikkiham520
    Nikkiham520 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have gall bladder issues, and for some reason, it has been bothering me lately when I run. It has only been that way the last couple of weeks. It is right under my rib cage on the right side. my chest never bothers me,. tho. I am also a c25k grad. I hope you have luck running pain free!
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    Is the chest pain from being out of breath? Have you checked your heart rate? You might need to slow your pace, and do walk/run intervals. I am a super slow runner, so I actually have to post it as walking here on MFP. C25k is a great program to check out!
  • Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Alot of good replies on not enough real info. I will venture my hypothesis here: If you dont feel like your going to die and have burning sensation in your chest / lungs that your entire chest and not localized to one side or the other then its probably because your cardio system is way behind where your mind wants to be. If you have abdominal pain on either side just about your waist its probably as mention a side stitch (weak diaphram) that will get better in time. Heavy legs can be from to much training or trying to do to much to fast. I would suggest starting out "running" at the same speed you are walking just with a running motion. See how that goes and build from there.

Almost forgot to mention breathing, the most efficient breathing style is belly breathing, essentially filling your lungs from the bottom up instead of the top down. However never limit the amount of oxygen you take in, nose vs mouth. If you breath now and then out of your nose no biggie but you can by no means take as many breath per minute in through your nose than you can through your mouth.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Running takes time. When I started nine years ago there was no such thing as Couch to 5K. From what I understand this is an excellent way to start. When I started, I ran two minutes then walked two minutes, repeat....

Breathing: Breathe with regular breaths, what I mean is breathe with a pattern. If you start gasping for breath, you are running too fast.... SLOW DOWN!! It's ok to breathe heavily as long as it is regulated but gasping or panting is no good. And as many a good runner has said "breathe with every orifice available". You do not need to breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth. I breathe with my nose and mouth. My mouth is almost always slightly open.

Side stitches: Most likely you are running to fast for your fitness level. There is nothing wrong with walk breaks. The more fit you get, the less you will walk. Some people are more prone to side stitches than others, though. You may have an issue with it even when you get fitter. Another culprit could be hydration. If you are dehydrated, you can get cramps and stitches. Are you drinking enough before, during and after your runs?

Chest pain: It is probably just your pounding heart and gasping for breath, BUT... I am not a doctor!! There is a huge difference between real pain and discomfort. If you are in real pain, stop running and see a doctor before resuming!!

Good luck on your journey!! Running is my life!! I've seen more interesting places and have met so many amazing people due to my running!! It is a lifestyle that you will never regret. It keeps you healthy, fit, sane and happy!! :drinker:
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above posts and add this: try breathing in a rhythm of one breath through every two steps. That's how I started and it made a world of difference. In for two, out for two. Eventually, you will develop your own rhythm! Also, be kind to yourself. :) It takes time to build endurance.

Another tip: Don't eat right before a run and definitely not anything heavy. I try to eat at least an hour before but if that's not feasible (I.e. at 5:00am), then I eat light, like a bowl of cereal or yogurt. Save bigger meals for after your run.

Good luck and happy running!:flowerforyou: