Beans and IBS

Options
So I’ve suspected for a few years now that’s I have IBS. However, it’s manageable. I go through the odd few days every few weeks where the symptoms make me physically uncomfortable. I’ve been trying to work out if it’s something in my diet that flares it up. I eat a plant-based diet that’s mostly whole foods and am definitely getting enough fibre. However, recently I’ve been eating LOADS of beans like haricot, chickpea, red kidney bean... I pretty much each beans in a certain form in every meals. This my be TMI but I’ve been constipated for a few days now. Has anyone found eating chickpeas especially to worsen the symptoms of IBS? x

Replies

• MidwestAndHappy
    MidwestAndHappy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I eat chickpeas all the time too but I haven't had it affect my IBS symptoms. But I have the diarrhea form.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    You may want to do a low FODMAP elimination and reintroduction diet to specifically identify your food triggers and the amounts of trigger food your body can tolerate.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough water, healthy fats? Fiber is one part of avoiding constipation, but in an otherwise healthy person, hydration and adequate fats are also vital.

Beyond that, some people find exercise (especially exercise that moves the midsection) helpful, and/or probiotic foods (like live-culture yogurt/kefir, kombucha, raw sauerkraut/kim chi, miso, etc.

I was diagnosed with IBS-C, and for me, water was the thing I was shorting. Now, at moderated calories, I need to pay attention to getting enough fats, or symptoms can arise.
  • aziz_n1
    aziz_n1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just spotted this discussion forum and it struck a chord. I was diagnosed as an IBS sufferer many years back. Had all the tests done including a camera a long way up the rectum!!
    Anyway, I found out through trial/error over a period of time that OTC medication does not work for me. Also, discovered I have an intolerance to Caffiene, hence I don’t really drink coffee or Cola & fizzy drinks these days. Also, through trial error and a lot of reading up on IBS, that as my digestive system is efficient, I don’t need to eat too much High Fibre stuff but do eat foods with fibre in them. Drinking lots of water helps ease symptoms. Eating more yoghurt is also good. Also think I have some level of intolerance to wheat/yeast as I always seem to be worse if I have eaten bread.
    Also, from reading up on IBS, there is a real link between stress & IBS. I have experienced it when stressed, needing to go to the loo many times a day and urgently! Exercise is also helping, especially cardio sessions and abdominal/core exercises.
    Also, it can be really hard for some people to come to terms with an IBS sufferer. My ex-wife being such a person, could not deal with it and was very cruel with her taunting about it.
    So I empathise with all sufferers of IBS, long time and new. Only advice I can give is that through trial & error, note the reaction to different foods. I’m not an alcohol drinker so can’t really comment on the effects that may have but I can’t see it being any good.
    Also, I know it’s hard but try not to get too stressed. Stress at times has been so bad that I have reached the loo just in time!!
    Finally, I think there are lots more people who suffer from IBS out there but because it’s embarrassing to talk about or admit to suffering from, many suffer in silence.
    Good thing is that, it is being talked about more in the public domain via media and Health Services.
    You are not alone.
    Naveed
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    I understand that breath tests are considerably less accurate than a FODMAP elimination diet but a friend of mine did get his IBS triggers identified this way.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    My mom has IBS and recommends this site: https://www.helpforibs.com

She takes acacia powder, which oddly helps with both constipation and diarrhea: https://www.heatherstummycare.com/p/suplmts_acacia/tummy-fiber-acacia-senegal-pouch/
  • firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Oh dear yes can definitely relate to this... chickpeas, beans, oh my gaaaaawd lentils! Bad times!!Things have settled for me a lot now I'm under less stress. A common suggestion for IBS as others have said is increasing fibre intake but this wasn't the case for me, everyone's so different. I'd keep a food diary & note your symptoms on each day/time of day to help you identify triggers so you can get a clearer picture of whether chickpeas are the culprit!