Finally found an exercise I love!

Options
I did it! It's taken years of starting and stopping my weight loss journey but I found it! I love swimming! I just did 75 minutes of swimming and I feel amazing! My muscles have that good ache in them and my mind is at ease. I haven't felt this good in a very long time.

My health goals finally feel like they're in reach now! I don't think I have ever been this excited to exercise before.

My motivation is through the roof and I can't wait for my next session!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I love to swim!

If your excitement wears off, throw one of these into the mix: https://smile.amazon.com/Sony-Walkman-Headphone-Integrated-NW-WS413-Black/dp/B01BBWU834/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    Yay: That's the exercise sweet spot! Congratulations!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Find something you love to do and do it often. <3
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I want to take up swimming. I learned to swim at a very young age and I can swim well, but I never learned how to swim laps so I don't the correct form or breathing techniques in order to swim laps continuously. And I'd feel dumb taking lessons at my age. But I'd love to be able to swim for fitness.
  • katelynkat
    katelynkat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I want to take up swimming. I learned to swim at a very young age and I can swim well, but I never learned how to swim laps so I don't the correct form or breathing techniques in order to swim laps continuously. And I'd feel dumb taking lessons at my age. But I'd love to be able to swim for fitness.

Honestly, I'm not an amazing swimmer and the pool I use isn't big but even just leisure swimming is great! Even just treading water will burn calories and work muscles.

You're never to old to learn something new, see if there are swimming classes put on for adults near you.

If you love it I highly encourage trying it out, even if its just playing around in a community pool!

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options

I was just like you! I took swim lessons at age 65, and I wasn’t embarrassed at all.
    Mine weren’t very helpful, though. What really helped was u tube
    Googled it and one guy said first day just do the best you can. Come home, watch U tube just to see how arms should be done. Tomorrow go to pool and practice arms. Do the best you can. That night, watch how legs should be done, practice. Then watch breathing, practice, etc. took me about 2 weeks of 3x a week to feel comfortable.

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    @katelynkat

HURRAY!

Just got back from the pool. Water aerobics. White water tomorrow. Water aerobics Thursday! Friday? Who knows?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options

I couldn't do the right breathing for freestyle/front crawl, and could only swim on my back (not well), so took adult learn to swim class in my mid-40s. The instructor was super nice, and the other students were similar (some even started out quite afraid of the water, so when they learned, and even swam in the deep end of the pool, it was really inspiring). Then I took lap-swimming classes.

And I don't even like to swim (I just need to be able to swim because I love, love, love on-water rowing - which I also started in my mid-40s).

Be brave! It'll be fun!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I couldn't do the right breathing for freestyle/front crawl, and could only swim on my back (not well), so took adult learn to swim class in my mid-40s. The instructor was super nice, and the other students were similar (some even started out quite afraid of the water, so when they learned, and even swam in the deep end of the pool, it was really inspiring). Then I took lap-swimming classes.

And I don't even like to swim (I just need to be able to swim because I love, love, love on-water rowing - which I also started in my mid-40s).

Be brave! It'll be fun!

That's what I need - lap-swimming classes! I'm definitely not a beginner swimmer, but I'd love to be able to swim laps in a pool as a workout for 30 minutes without stopping. I'll have to look into the YMCA. I just assumed all of their classes were for people who didn't know how to swim.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options

Be brave! It'll be fun!

That's what I need - lap-swimming classes! I'm definitely not a beginner swimmer, but I'd love to be able to swim laps in a pool as a workout for 30 minutes without stopping. I'll have to look into the YMCA. I just assumed all of their classes were for people who didn't know how to swim.

There are loads of swimming classes. My gym offers beginner, intermediate, fitness swimming, stroke technique and triathlete swim.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I joined a triathlon club almost 10 years ago but didn't really start working on my swimming consistently until a couple of years ago. I must admit I'm not a big fan of swimming laps but really enjoy open water but given our short summers the pool is not a matter of choice.

I've been sidelined this year with a shoulder injury (fell on the ice last winter) but hope to back in the water soon. So far my longest swim has been 4km and I felt great afterward.

Have fun!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I love to swim!

If your excitement wears off, throw one of these into the mix: https://smile.amazon.com/Sony-Walkman-Headphone-Integrated-NW-WS413-Black/dp/B01BBWU834/

Oh I was just shopping for these today! I waterproofed an old iPod shuffle and it lasted a few months but today is acting very odd, pulsing on and off even with the power off. I guess it was too good to be true. I'm willing to spend a little to listen to my podcasts and audiobooks in the pool, it's a perfect multi-use time.

There's only a handful of reviews on Amazon, have you had yours long and would recommend?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I swam laps years ago and I always had a terrible time with breathing. Finis makes these swimming snorkels where you don't have to worry about that. All the exercise without all the stress of breathing. Made it fun for me instantly. Yeah, my wife was embarrassed about me putting on the whole snorkel/goggle things at the gym but I've never really been one to care about what others think.

With the swim snorkel, I went from not being able to swim two laps to someone that could go for 20 minutes.
    https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/finis-swimmers-swim-snorkel-1221/?&color=10804&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google-shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvo_qBRDQARIsAE-bsH8x4d91RuRT2j7-Fe0g7WYwfkFrautWyMhY7FWF0Mrvmg0m7190zVkaAnx8EALw_wcB
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Be brave! It'll be fun!

I have also discovered I love swimming. Lap swimming is still difficult for me, but I can now at least get across the pool freestyle without feeling like I am dying. I took lessons as a 44yr old adult. I just needed a few and luckily one of the gym regulars at the same time is a swim instructor. I say take them in person if you can. Her tips for body positioning and the right way to kick were extremely helpful. She was able to watch what I was doing and correct it.
    I swam laps years ago and I always had a terrible time with breathing. Finis makes these swimming snorkels where you don't have to worry about that. All the exercise without all the stress of breathing. Made it fun for me instantly. Yeah, my wife was embarrassed about me putting on the whole snorkel/goggle things at the gym but I've never really been one to care about what others think.

With the swim snorkel, I went from not being able to swim two laps to someone that could go for 20 minutes.
    https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/finis-swimmers-swim-snorkel-1221/?&color=10804&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google-shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvo_qBRDQARIsAE-bsH8x4d91RuRT2j7-Fe0g7WYwfkFrautWyMhY7FWF0Mrvmg0m7190zVkaAnx8EALw_wcB

There is a lady who swims almost everyday with a snorkle. She has a neck injury that prevents here from turning her head. The snorkle works great for her and she swims non-stop the whole time I am there having to take breaks to get my breathing back to normal.
  • quemalosuerte
    quemalosuerte Posts: 242 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

My town’s Parks and Recreation catalog had several categories of adult swim training, from adult lessons to swim fitness for adults. Maybe you could look into if your city offers anything similar?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Yay! Good for you !