Mental clarity in fat adaption?

Options
I’ve been doing keto for about 5 weeks now. I don’t know if I’m starting to show signs of fat adaption. I have somewhat stable energy throughout the day and am not needing coffee like I used to. I had a spike in cravings because of my period, so I’m not sure about the reduced craving part. I’m wondering about the mental clarity part that I read often about. How much mental clarity am I suppose to experience?

Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Keto does not have to be low protein just to clarify. The only sticker is to keep carbs low. I eat 125gm protein/day, keep my carbs under 50gm, and the rest fill in with the natural fat in my protein selections and the olive or coconut oil I use to make my eggs or to top some veggies. Occasionally it comes from the cream that I put on my berries but usually I snack on those plain.

ETA: and for me the so called “mental clarity” comes from pretty much no head pain while eating keto. Meds are controlling my migraines but I have suffered from daily headaches and pain since I can remember; so since I was about 7yo. Keto has almost completely eliminated that while the migraine meds don’t seem to affect my daily pain. Cool for me but probably not something everyone deals with.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Keto group and Low Carber Daily Forum are great groups on here.

Tips, recipes, and support.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    OP, after five weeks you're "fat adapted" and the results you have right now are probably as good as they're going to get. I think the metabolically unhealthy respond best and are the ones who stick to the diet long term so their anecdotes are the ones we read about the most.

Those experiencing decreased mental clarity have reported benefits but that's certainly not the case for everyone.
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I've always wondered about that, like how do people measure "mental clarity"? How do you separate out the placebo effect, as for many people just the action of committing to a plan to improve themselves can nudge them out of a fog? I find I'm more focused and energetic on days I exercise, is that mental clarity?

Researchers seem to be using cognitive assessment tests and repeating them over time. From a case study earlier this year:
    Ketones provide the starving brain with an alternative fuel source via the cerebral monocarboxylate transporter pathway [9]. Two forms of ketones, acetoacetate and beta-hydroxybutyrate, bypass deficiencies in GLUT transport and supply needed energy directly to the brain [8], [9], [10], [11], [12], [13]. Cerebral metabolic rate, emission tomography, and F-fluorodeoxyglucose studies reveal that AD patients with impaired glucose transport are able to fully utilize ketone bodies in the brain as an alternative fuel [4], [9].

The Montreal Cognitive Assessment is considered to be a gold standard assessment in the diagnosis of early AD. Physiological biomarkers for T2DM/MetS and cognitive functionality were assessed before/during/after intervention. These measures included HOMA-IR, triglycerides/HDL ratio, HgA1c, fasting glucose, fasting insulin, complete fasting lipid panel and the PEAK mobile application for real-time measurement of cognitive improvement.

I'm sure a lot of the benefits people claim in the short term are psychosomatic -- just like new dieters who are stuffed and can't eat enough to reach their calorie goal. But it's certainly not all magical thinking and research is ongoing.

The point behind the quoted study is that it studied people with type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome who had been previously identified with problems specifically with how their brains used glucose. This is a real problem, and it seems logical that keto would help it, but it’s not something with any application at all to normal healthy people.