Questions About The One Rep Max

I have a few questions regarding the One Rep Max:

1. What is the best way to test the One Rep Max?

2. Is the one rep max necessary for bodybuilding or gaining muscle in general?

3. What exercises should I test the One Rep Max on?

4. After testing my One Rep Max, what percentage of it should I lift on my normal days?

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    here to see the answers.

I've only ever "tested" my ORM when i've managed to ask someone to spot me (I work out alone so not always able to get a spotter). Been ages since I gave it a go actually.

So that leads me to your question number 2 - no, it's not necessary because i've been quite successful in adding muscle in a very "bro" bodybuilding sort of way for the last what .... 5 years? And i've only had my ORM "tested" like.... twice? And that was basically someone making sure I didn't drop the barbell on my chest and crush myself on bench, failing at deadlift, and making sure I didn't collapse under the barbell in a squat. So yeah....

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    1. That depends on your goal(s) and training.
    2. A calculated e1rm can be useful within context of some templates.
    3. See #1.
    4. See #1.

Ultimately unless you are competing, there is zero use for an actuall 1RM and even then, that should be left for the platform.

A true 1RM causes a overload of stress and fatigue that can take a while to recover from. Why slow down your training?

Furthermore it's a skill not a actual indicator of anything if you don't practice near maximal weight and hone the skill.

Entire post quoted for truth. Especially the bolded.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Do a search for 1rep max calculator I use the one on strength level.com they work off how many reps you can do with a certain weight.