How much protein

Options
Hi guys, I'm F, 5'7, 127 lbs. Looking to lean out a bit but taking a slow and steady approach to it to avoid falling into extremes.
I do bodyweight strength workouts 3x a week, hit 1-2x a week, and yoga quite regularly.
As I've said, I'm looking to lean out, hoping to do so by focusing on a small deficit (currently on 1700 cals) and maintaining/hopefully growing muscle.

Anyways, I have a hard time hitting my protein goals, even with the use of protein powder (which I don't want to use everyday) and was wondering how much is actually necessary for my goals?
I'm a pescatarian, but too much fish causes reflux for me, so it's not a daily thing. Too much dairy makes me feel sluggish and has always been hard on my digestive system. So I focus on consuming low fat dairy once a day, mock meats/tofu daily and occasionally throwing in some beans.
I can't seem to get my protein intake above 80-90 grams on a regular basis. Is this too little, or would it be enough?

Thanks!

Replies

• RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hiya. From what I've researched you should be aiming for 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, lean or total, but I'm sure you know that. I've always found it difficult to calculate my lean bodyweight as I never have an accurate figure for my % bodyfat so to keep it simple I go with total weight. For you that would obviously be 127g. You should actually increase that a bit when trying to lose fat, but for most people that should suffice. 80-90g for you might be okay, I guess you just have to see how it goes. Don't rely solely on the scales to gauge fat loss though because I've seen people achieve a body recomp and stay at exactly the same weight. So take weekly measurements at key areas of your body eg waist, hips, thighs, arms etc. My wife is also pescetarian but fish is a great protein source, albeit with the associated fat amounts too. Salmon, tuna, sardines etc are probably your best as they are among the highest level protein sources. No, or limited, dairy is also a challenge, have you tried a good quality Greek yoghurt as they are pretty high protein, 10g of protein per 100g? Finally, protein powder supplements have come a long way over the past few years and are now regarded as a good, high quality source of protein if you can't get enough in your diet. I'm a complete omnivore and still take a protein powder supplement daily to hit my own protein goal.

Nice to meet another bodyweight exponent. It's the only modality I use for strength and muscle building and I've been doing that for 3-4 years now with great results. If you want some bodyweight inspiration check out Al Kavadlo or his brother Danny Kavadlo on Instagram.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would aim for 0.8-1g protein per lb goalweight or lean body mass. That being said since you are at a good weight for your height I wouldn't lose too much more. If you aren't happy with your physique I would consider looking into recomp sooner than later.. maintaining your weight to lose fat and gain muscle over time.
  • warukimedesu
    warukimedesu Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't know how I'll be able to achieve my daily protein goal (~150g) without meat, particularly chicken breast which accounts for a big part of my daily protein intake.
  • CapsLocker
    CapsLocker Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insights, from your answers, I guess it's worth it to try and up the protein a bit. Though I'm not sure if I can stomach anything over 100 (anybody else has this problem?)

@sardelsa would this be achievable with a slight calorie deficit like I am doing now or is that going to interfere qith process in a nehative way?
  • sardelsa
    Options
    CapsLocker wrote: »
    Thanks for the insights, from your answers, I guess it's worth it to try and up the protein a bit. Though I'm not sure if I can stomach anything over 100 (anybody else has this problem?)

@sardelsa would this be achievable with a slight calorie deficit like I am doing now or is that going to interfere qith process in a nehative way?

It really depends on your goals and experience. You can start with a slight deficit and see where you go, but the amount of muscle built will be minimal (to none in some cases). If you just want to tighten up here and there a small deficit is good. If you want to add muscle then I would think about recomp.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    have you tried Seitan? my sister the vegan uses it as a protein source and its not too bad - you can season it with a variety of things
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    You're at the bottom of the healthy weight range, are you doing any resistance exercise? I think you'd find what you're looking for with a little bit of that (weights.)
  • CapsLocker
    CapsLocker Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    It really depends on your goals and experience. You can start with a slight deficit and see where you go, but the amount of muscle built will be minimal (to none in some cases). If you just want to tighten up here and there a small deficit is good. If you want to add muscle then I would think about recomp.

I see. Maybe I'll just stick to what I'm doing for now and focus on an actual recomp once I have access to a gym (hopefully soon).
    have you tried Seitan? my sister the vegan uses it as a protein source and its not too bad - you can season it with a variety of things
    I totally forgot about seitan! Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can find it at a grocery store in the area.
    You're at the bottom of the healthy weight range, are you doing any resistance exercise? I think you'd find what you're looking for with a little bit of that (weights.)
    Not training with weights at the moment as I don't have a gym nearby enough. Though I am trying really hard to push myself with bodyweight workouts, crossing my fingers this will pay off, even just a little.

• sardelsa
    Options
    Definitely stick with some type of resistance training (even body weight) whether you are losing a little or maintaining.. that is the best way to achieve body composition changes, as long as you are progressing over time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,759 Member
    Options
    This (below) is IMO the gold standard thread for finding additional protein sources you'd enjoy:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods by protein efficiency (most protein for fewest calories).

It helped me, even as a vegetarian. Most days now (in maintenance, but calorie banking), I have no difficulty getting 100+ grams of protein from vegetarian sources, on 1850 net calories (usually closer to 2000 or so gross calories). I do eat dairy, but think I could still do with with entirely plant foods.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Adequate protein is needed to build muscle, but everything I've seen in the literature I've seen implies that muscle increase does not correlate with increased protein consumption above the basic level. The USDA recommendation is only 1g protein per 1kg body mass. Eating 1g protein per pound of body mass (as is often thrown out) about doubles this recommendation. The cost of increasing protein is that you must decrease fats and carbs in order to stay within your calorie plan.

Fats and carbs fuel your activities, and I can't see why it makes sense to eat protein as a fuel: it's primary purpose is a building block. I thus deduce that eating perhaps 0-50% higher than the USDA protein recommendation might make sense, but I've never understood the urge to go higher.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,759 Member
    Options
    Oops, I meant to suggest this link as informative and reasonably fact-based, too:

https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need/
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Oops, I meant to suggest this link as informative and reasonably fact-based, too:

https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need/

I think this article is good at summarizing the current advice about protein intake, and I have personally commonly eaten well above 1.2g/kg for extended periods. My point is that when you look at the studies, there doesnt' seem to be much hard evidence that eating >x2 of the base RDA adds much. It may also not affect you very much, except that, if you like endurance cardio, you are stealing out of your carbs and fats which give you fuel.

Bottom line is that I agree with the statement from the article:

"If you’re of healthy weight, active, and wish to build muscle, aim for 1.4–2.4 g/kg (0.64–1.09 g/lb)."

For example, I'm 170lbs and I try to hit ~125g of protein per day (1.6g/kg). On my base maintenance diet of 2000kcals, this represents 125g x 4kcal/g = 500, so I'm getting about 25% of my calories from protein. When I exercise, I try to re-fuel with mostly fats and carbs, but sometimes get a bit more protein along with it. It all seems to work fine.