What is something that everyone can relate to?

Options
laprimaJenny
laprimaJenny Posts: 1,495 Member
Have you ever felt like you are the only one?! Most likely that isn’t true. What are some of the things that everyone relates to?

Maybe it’s the awkward moment when walking past someone and wondering if you should make eye contact or not. Or perhaps it’s the feeling of finally picking that massive booger that’s been bothering you in the middle of a meeting. Just when you think no one was looking, you notice your coworker giving you the stink eye.

Replies

• laprimaJenny
    Options
    I still unconsciously think of the '90s as the previous decade.
  • laprimaJenny
    Options
    Regardless of how many times I’ve written the word I still spell out Wednesday like Wed-nes-day in my head when writing it.
  • laprimaJenny
    Options
    Sleeping in an awkward position and waking up in pain.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I still unconsciously think of the '90s as the previous decade.

My daughter: time is flying, I’m forgetting entire weeks.

Me: weeks?? ... I’m forgetting entire decades.
  • laprimaJenny
    Options
    I premeditate conversations in my head so I can be ready if I am ever faced with conflict or an awkward situation.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I sometimes wonder if I should hold a door for some people, or offer to carry stuff for them, but at the same time I don't want to offend them, like I'm implying they can't do whatever task by themselves.
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    I can't help but to look into peoples windows when I'm out for a walk at night...from the sidewalk, I'm not that creepy!
    When in a highrise in the city it's the worst, so many windows to look into
  • laprimaJenny
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder if I should hold a door for some people, or offer to carry stuff for them, but at the same time I don't want to offend them, like I'm implying they can't do whatever task by themselves.

I’ve never really thought about it this way. I just always figured it was common decency to do so, but that’s a valid point. Except when someone is clearly having trouble opening a door. I dislike when I see people walk inside a building or room ahead of someone who is obviously struggling to open the door, without even looking back. I see that happen a lot with the handicapped and elderly unfortunately.
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    Pain. Sadness. Everyone has some of that.

When I was a kid and some *kitten* (because kids often are *kitten*) was being mean, I sometimes reminded myself that even s/he cried about something. It helped me sometimes to think of that - sometimes in a mean way and sometimes compassionately.

Excellent point!

This reminds me of some of the best advice I've ever had. It came from a 14 year old girl when a client was being an *kitten* to me, she said "it's not about you". I think this every time someone is a jerk to me now, who knows what's going on in their lives, and if I did nothing wrong, it's not a "me" problem, it's a "them" problem
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options

When I was a kid and some *kitten* (because kids often are *kitten*) was being mean, I sometimes reminded myself that even s/he cried about something. It helped me sometimes to think of that - sometimes in a mean way and sometimes compassionately.

Excellent point!

This reminds me of some of the best advice I've ever had. It came from a 14 year old girl when a client was being an *kitten* to me, she said "it's not about you". I think this every time someone is a jerk to me now, who knows what's going on in their lives, and if I did nothing wrong, it's not a "me" problem, it's a "them" problem

You tried to explain this to me before and I didn’t understand. I think I get it now.
  • pizzamyheart
    pizzamyheart Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    When I'm the only one wearing two different shoes, parachute pants and a members only jacket to a friends wedding.
  • Vikka_V
    Options

Excellent point!

You tried to explain this to me before and I didn’t understand. I think I get it now.

And I guess I should add, it's not like I don't get offended, or hurt (I do, quite easily), but I try to remember, its not always about me.

Which reminds me, I had someone tell me once that it's my fault if I get hurt feelings about something, because I "chose" to, or it was my interpretation, and it wasn't their intention.
    This idea is still a mind *kitten* to me.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I can't help but to look into peoples windows when I'm out for a walk at night...from the sidewalk, I'm not that creepy!
    When in a highrise in the city it's the worst, so many windows to look into

You HAVE to do this. What if someone's naked and you missed it because you didn't look :D
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options

Excellent point!

Which reminds me, I had someone tell me once that it's my fault if I get hurt feelings about something, because I "chose" to, or it was my interpretation, and it wasn't their intention.
    This idea is still a mind *kitten* to me.

that sounds like something a sociopath would say tbh like saying *kitten* things to you then telling u it’s your fault if you feel bad about it, jmo

fdo3iab7szi2.gif
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    when you're sad, so you listen to sad music to feel sadder
  • Ghostofachance
    Ghostofachance Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Being in a social situation and feeling like everyone has their life together except you
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    when you're sad, so you listen to sad music to feel sadder

or when you’re feeling just fine and like “i know, let’s listen to Jeff Buckley” and accidentally take yourself out

I do the same thing with Chet Baker.

Blame it on my Youth
  • laprimaJenny
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Apologizing to doors or furniture when I accidentally kick or bump into them.

ETA: maybe that’s a Canadian thing