How many calories do you do aim to burn a day??

Options
I am wondering, do you go to the gym with a goal of how many calories you want to burn on the machines or do you go by how many miles?? I need to figure out how to change the workout up too....I have bad knees/back, so I do a lot of biking...a lot...also, a bit of elliptical, if the knees are feeling ok. I do lift weights too--free style and machine. Looking for some good ideas from some gym buffs out there!

Replies

• kelseywray
    Options
    I don't really go by calories or miles, instead I go by time and try to stay within my heart rate goal.
  • ASaxe23
    ASaxe23 Posts: 163
    Options
    500 is what I normally like to do, but since I started weight training my burns are a lot lower around 350 or so...I'm ok with that as long as I'm looking at a 500 calorie deficit overall!!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Bunnyboo82
    Bunnyboo82 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has different goals. Some people go to run calories off, others go to run miles to increase endurance, others go to sprint to gain speed. Something I've tried, since I get shin splints, is to do what is called frackling. You get on the tredmill, walk for a few minutes, run for a few minutes, walk for a few, run for a few. You can do it for as long or as many calories as you like. The important thing is not to hurt your self by trying to run to hard to fast for too long. You'll do you great just listen to your body and you'll know what works best for you!
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I started out a few months ago aiming for at least 20 minutes of cardio per day. Oh, how short that time seems now. I slowly added more time until I was doing about 35 minutes a day 4-6 days per week.

THEN...I got a HRM! Almost instantly, I started exercising much more, because calories burned was my goal instead of a time. Sometimes I would have a goal of 500, but then I would think, "How cool if I kept going to 600? Well, why not 700?" and so on. Somedays I've even hit over 900! I don't pay attention to time at all anymore, it's all calories. But, obviously my time has gone way up, too. It's more fun this way because I always hated looking (or trying not to look) at the clock.
  • thinnmintt
    Options
    I work out twice a day, and the first work out is just to jump start my metabolism .. and then throughout the day I count all my calories, and then the second workout is a calorie counting workout depending on if I went over the desired amount of calories I wanted to take in, or if I just feel like burning a bit more than usual.. hope that helped !
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    recently I have been challenging myself on miles......not calories!!! those are a bonus!!!! on the elliptical I try to hit 1 mile before 7 miniutes, and when I hit that I changed it it to 6 miles
    on the treadmill I do the same....try to hit a mile before 13 minutes.

its going to depend on you and how far you want to push yourself!
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I like to vary from day to day. Usually between 100 and 600 (once I did 721... that was a great day). When I go to the fitness center to work out I usually plan on hitting between 250-350 if I don't have a lot of time, and if I have more time I go for 500-600. The lower days (100 to 250) are when I have less time and do walks here and there, some calisthenics at home, etc.
  • lframent
    lframent Posts: 33
    Options
    I don't really go by calories or miles, instead I go by time and try to stay within my heart rate goal.

What I've learned in getting back into working out, is to focus on your heart rate. So long as your heart rate is up and at its max, you'll be burning calories and fat. I recommend doing some strength training on top of your cardio so you really work into your muscles - cardio will burn fat while your strength training will increase your muscle tone (don't worry, you won't get jacked! Low weight, high reps!) and actual strength. :)

Hope all is well! Love and light, x
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I work out twice a day, and the first work out is just to jump start my metabolism .. and then throughout the day I count all my calories, and then the second workout is a calorie counting workout depending on if I went over the desired amount of calories I wanted to take in, or if I just feel like burning a bit more than usual.. hope that helped !

I love your username :D
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I usually aim for at least 500...but at least 3 days a week I aim for 1000 or over.
  • teawithtennyson
    Options
    if you want maximum cals for minimum time...try TurboJam - I LOOOVEE it! The 20 min. workout makes me sweat like a pig, but it is so fun. Their ads say you can burn 1,000 an hour doing it. Seems possible to me!
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am a bum....in the gym. I do Jillian Michael circuit training or walking. My goals with JM are to "make it through the 20 minute workout" and my goals when walking are to "relax". When I am in the gym I am too calorie dependent and not results focused. I think having "calorie burn" goals are good. However, I would also set "fitness" and "strength" goals as well.
    GOOD LUCK!!!
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Right now, it's too hot to exercise outside and I no longer live by the gym, so my goals have changed. I now try to burn 300-500 calories 5 days a week, 200 calories one day a week and then a rest day each week. That's the goal!! I've also worked with my calorie limits to reflect a reduced exercise level.
  • klsnell1981
    klsnell1981 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I try for about 500 per day, but it all depends on how I feel at the gym. we all have those days where we just aren't digging it that day... I try to at least do 15min OR 1 mile OR 300 calories per cardio session (I usually do 2 cardios per wrkout) that way I can say I accomplished a little something! plus remember that you're burning a few extra calories during strength training and after your wrkout as well...
  • alimoll
    alimoll Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I aim for between 500-600 per workout. But, I only workout between 5-6 days per week. I usually take at least one day off....maybe two days....depending on the week.
  • KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I try to burn about 1000 at least 6 days a week and then rest one day and burn about 250-500. I am lucky though and my job as a nanny means that I'm able to go for runs pushing the stroller to the beach etc and I also live right beside a lake with great hiking trails and swimming I try to do several times a week after work. The best part is eating back those calories :D
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't really aim for anything. I just work out, and whatever I burn, I burn. Usually it's 200-400. 500+ days are rare. Sounds like I'm on the low side of the crew here.
  • vanezache
    vanezache Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I try to burn off between three or four hundred calories ..it depends on what I eat......if u know ur calorie intake for that day that should help when u hit the gym
  • prettyash76
    Options
    bump