Worked out for 1 year. Gained 2lbs

Options
I’ve been working out regularly for 3 years. I have made mistakes and improved and all that. I’ve gone from underweight to normal weight, which is something to be happy about. However I still want to gain muscle mass. I work out 4-6 days a week, eat 3,500 calories a day, and I’ve been doing THAT specifically.
I gained 2lbs total....
I am 6’1 and currently weigh 208lbs.
I do push pull leg days (power and hypertrophy)
I take prescription adderall and lexipro. What Am I doing wrong?

Replies

• Jessiicaaa1995
    Jessiicaaa1995 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert 😅 but maybe you have a faster metabolism than other people, maybe try upping your calories by atleast another 500 or more. Do you take protein? Protein shakes I think will help to gain muscle
  • jack1336
    jack1336 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert 😅 but maybe you have a faster metabolism than other people, maybe try upping your calories by atleast another 500 or more. Do you take protein? Protein shakes I think will help to gain muscle

I take a looooooooooot of protein including shakes
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Is your goal to gain weight? If you aren't gaining you need to eat more. Calorie dense food can help.. high fat foods like nuts, nut butters, oils, full fat dairy, avocado, trail mix, granola etc. Carbs like juices, syrups, dried fruit, white bread, bagels.

If you are trying to maintain and recomp you are doing the right thing weight-wise, have you made progress with body composition and with your lifts in the past year?
  • jack1336
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Is your goal to gain weight? If you aren't gaining you need to eat more. Calorie dense food can help.. high fat foods like nuts, nut butters, oils, full fat dairy, avocado, trail mix, granola etc. Carbs like juices, syrups, dried fruit, white bread, bagels.

If you are trying to maintain and recomp you are doing the right thing weight-wise, have you made progress with body composition and with your lifts in the past year?

I have made some progress but there are times I had to deload and/or I’m doing it wrong and I have to start all over

I used to increase every single time if i did it successfully even if it was hard and I would end up deloading like crazy. So if it was hard, i keep going at that weight until I’m comfortable to increase. Is that my problem?

I do eat alot of protein and carbs. I do flex dieting so I’ll have 1 donut for breakfast sometimes. I found out straight clean diet doesn’t work.

Again, i have no idea what I’m doing wrong.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Are you following a properly designed progressive program or something you are doing on your own?

Also if you aren't gaining you aren't eating enough. Add a smoothie, extra portion or snack.
  • sparta2
    sparta2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can tell you from personal experience, Adderall may be working against you. I have attached a link to an article, but there are many out there concerning this same thing. https://www.healthline.com/health/adhd/adderall-and-weight-loss
  • jack1336
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Are you following a properly designed progressive program or something you are doing on your own?

Also if you aren't gaining you aren't eating enough. Add a smoothie, extra portion or snack.

The former, though I just had a conversation with someone on another forum that recommend PHAT.
    sparta2 wrote: »
    I can tell you from personal experience, Adderall may be working against you. I have attached a link to an article, but there are many out there concerning this same thing. https://www.healthline.com/health/adhd/adderall-and-weight-loss

I have asked several people including doctors and even a fitness trainer who also takes adderall and most of them say it doesn’t deplete muscles or anything I just need to work WITH it. Eat a calorie surplus. While I’m struggling I can definitely say I did gain some muscle.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    My husband eats only slightly less than you to maintain at 140lbs. If you aren't gaining, you aren't eating enough.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    you need more calories and you probably need to work out no more than 5 days - possibly 4 days - but with greater intensity.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    kUGMFLL.jpg
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    kUGMFLL.jpg

Amateur ;) . I'd prefer a couple of these to do the trick.

rcaowxcqd9fb.png
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    kUGMFLL.jpg

Amateur ;) . I'd prefer a couple of these to do the trick.

rcaowxcqd9fb.png

Needs a couple of eggs over easy on top lol.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You're not eating in a surplus by definition if you are not gaining weight. There is no other explanation. Eat more.